Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Shurflo Pump not pumping!

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Luffy

Morning All,

Got to my first job yesterday and discovered that either my pump (Shurlfo) or controller (Streamline) isn't working properly. I have been fiddling about with it since and this is what i've found out so far

* The wiring seems to be connected fine to both the pump and controller and is connected all the way to the battery

* The Controller turns on but is showing de and BAT

* The pump tries to get going but cuts out after a second or so

" The pressure valve has been bypassed on the pump as it was causing an issue before

Does anyone have any experience with a problem like this? 

Are you aware of calibration settings on your controller?

It's not something i've done before.

Just taken the pump apart and everything looks ok as far as i can tell. The bearing runs smooth and everything is clean. When i reconnected it ran for about 20-30 seconds and then went back to a going 1 second on, 2 seconds of and it keeps repeating that. It's really frustrating as everything looks like it should work!

1 thing that i haven't mentioned is that for about 2 weeks the wire that connects to the battery was sitting loose and not a snug fit on the battery terminal. Is it possible that the wire or connector could've been damaged by not being connected properly? 

I had exact same issue with DE (dead end) on controller display. Auto calibrating fixed  it. Try googling the process for your pump controller type if youre unsure.  Its quite simple when you learn the process.

No buddy sorry. On my sureflow (whilst water is running and pole extended) i reduce psi to 30 then hold in the "up" arrow and the "enter" button together for a few seconds. You will then see your calibration setting.

Lower it to -0 with the down arrow which will hopefully offer you auto calibration and press enter key. Let it run for a while after which it will select your optimum cal setting for you. Press enter and bobs your uncle. Hope that works!

Last edited by a moderator:
The first 'screen' on these controllers is just a flow rate setting and adjustment. It has nothing to do with pressure. As you increase the numbers the pump turns faster and in doing so pumps more water.

Setting the calibration is indirectly related to pressure and is the 'second' screen on the controller. What you are setting is the maximum amount of current you want the pump to draw before the controller switches off. The higher the pressure the pump has to pump to the higher the current (amps) the pump needs to do that.

What you want is to set the pressure just enough to suit the flow of water to the brush head at the height you are working at. If the setting is much higher then you are using more amps from the battery that is wasted. If your flow only needs 60psi to maintain it, then its a waste setting the controller to 80 or 100psi.

Thanks for explaining that Spruce. Ive also had similar issue to Luffy. 

Perhaps you'd know why I have to set cal to 80-100 every morning to get system running? Then after a while I can lower it to about 34. Is my pump on its way out? Or another issue? 

Try run the pump from the van battery with engine running, just to eliminate your battery as the problem. If not battery then your cut off pressure needs to be increased on your controller. Sounds like it’s just dead ending to me. Small chance that your controller might be knackered. You can just use the pump straight to the battery with a manual tap as your flow control until you have time to buy a new digital controller.

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

Thanks for explaining that Spruce. Ive also had similar issue to Luffy. 

Perhaps you'd know why I have to set cal to 80-100 every morning to get system running? Then after a while I can lower it to about 34. Is my pump on its way out? Or another issue? 
I'm not totally au fait with the workings of spring controllers, but I would imagine that once you have set your required calibration you need to save your settings. This is what we have to do with our Varistreams. On your controller you need to use the right arrow button.

Everyone who we have suggested follow the auto calibration instructions on this video have had success in using their controller.

When setting the calibration the pole must be connected up and the tap open to allow water through the brush jets whilst this is happening. I don't know what pump you have but if its a Shurflo our experience is that they really go wrong. We have 2 on my van which are 12 and 13 years old.

My suggestion would also be to uncoil your hose reel as well as its easy to have a kink in the hose nearest the 'drum' which is causing a restriction. We have had this before as well as Hozelok stop connectors going faulty after 6 months of working faultlessly. The inside stop plunger restricts water through to the hose. We have none of them left now although we still use the non stop ones.

If you can sort this then you could email Ian Sheppard at Spring Controllers

[email protected]

I'm not totally au fait with the workings of spring controllers, but I would imagine that once you have set your required calibration you need to save your settings. This is what we have to do with our Varistreams. On your controller you need to use the right arrow button.

Everyone who we have suggested follow the auto calibration instructions on this video have had success in using their controller.

When setting the calibration the pole must be connected up and the tap open to allow water through the brush jets whilst this is happening. I don't know what pump you have but if its a Shurflo our experience is that they really go wrong. We have 2 on my van which are 12 and 13 years old.

My suggestion would also be to uncoil your hose reel as well as its easy to have a kink in the hose nearest the 'drum' which is causing a restriction. We have had this before as well as Hozelok stop connectors going faulty after 6 months of working faultlessly. The inside stop plunger restricts water through to the hose. We have none of them left now although we still use the non stop ones.

If you can sort this then you could email Ian Sheppard at Spring Controllers

[email protected]
Got there before me @spruce ?.

I was going to suggest using the auto calibration.

Im on the same varistream controller after 10 years of use.

The only time I adjust (reset the auto cal) is if I trim down the hose because of a split

Morning All,

Got to my first job yesterday and discovered that either my pump (Shurlfo) or controller (Streamline) isn't working properly. I have been fiddling about with it since and this is what i've found out so far

* The wiring seems to be connected fine to both the pump and controller and is connected all the way to the battery

* The Controller turns on but is showing de and BAT

* The pump tries to get going but cuts out after a second or so

" The pressure valve has been bypassed on the pump as it was causing an issue before

Does anyone have any experience with a problem like this? 
I had the excact same issue and spent hours checking the wiring ect with no luck .turns out my battery wasn't charging so its worth trying another battery or double check your charger is doing its job. Unless you run a split charge relay.

Got there before me @spruce ?.

I was going to suggest using the auto calibration.

Im on the same varistream controller after 10 years of use.

The only time I adjust (reset the auto cal) is if I trim down the hose because of a split
?

Sorry. Our controllers are the first digital ones after the analogue units. They must also be about 10 years old.

The water was quite warm in the tank this summer and our setting was 9. I've upped it to A atm and will probably go a B by the time winter really kicks in. We haven't run ours at C for years.

Thanks for the replies! 

So yesterday i just fiddled around with everything and it still wouldn't work. Left it for a few hours and then tried again and i managed to get into the calibration settings which i manually set and then it started working and got a couple of jobs done. This morning, back to square 1 and it only just turns on let alone pumps. At the moment it turns on, says BAT and then turns off, it keeps doing that cycle over and over again. It doesn't stay on long enough to enter calibration mode. I'm half tempted to go and get a new controller but don't want to blow £100 for no reason and it's frustrating as i don't get the feeling that anything is broken, especially as it was working ok yesterday. Any other possible solutions??????????

Hi Luffy. I've been having exact same issue and if it won't let you calibrate it's possibly because of faulty wiring not letting the power through. My issue was solved by reclamping the wiring at a 7.5amp fuse housing between the pump and controller. Maybe yours is similar set up.

15368344360622027342384.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Luffy. I've been having exact same issue and if it won't let you calibrate it's possibly because of faulty wiring not letting the power through. My issue was solved by reclamping the wiring at a 7.5amp fuse housing between the pump and controller. Maybe yours is similar set up.

View attachment 14809

Well done mate, this has solved it! When i opened the clamp it had sort of mineral deposits in it and the fuse looked a bit old and knackered. Cleaned up the clamp and changed the fuse and its working

Thanks so much

Back