Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Storing a Step ladder on top of the van

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Bought myself a shiny new 8 tread aluminium step ladder. The measurements on the Screwfix Website aren't correct and it won't quite fit inside the van. Do any of you boys store a step ladder on the roof rack? I have just bought Rhino quick release clamps so it won't be a massive issue in terms of loading/unloading it. The only ladder on the roof currently is a 4m Lyte ladder so it can physically sit on top I think.

I did have a step ladder, but found the same as you, wouldn't quite fit in the van, so got a set of foldable ones instead, they sit on the floor, strapped against the bulkhead. I also have rhino qr clamps but still find them to be fiddly and a pain to load my triple ext ladders on and off, but there's still room to fit another set of singles. I have seen other lads with a couple of sets on their racks, so doubt it would be an issue.

I had for years, until last week when i brought a new tripple ladder . so they are now in the back of the van, the only problem was after a while i used to have to spray with wd40 to stop the moving parts from rusting.

If the measurements are wrong on the website I’d take it back and exchange for a 7 tread version. They can’t argue if you brought it based on their information. 

I have seen other lads with a couple of sets on their racks, so doubt it would be an issue

I had for years, until last week when i brought a new tripple ladder .
Thanks boys. I've decided against storing them on the roof. The technicalities involved with getting them off will just mean I end up using my old battered ones and they will mostly go to waste.

If the measurements are wrong on the website I’d take it back and exchange for a 7 tread version. They can’t argue if you brought it based on their information. 
The website was actual just Screwfix. I've spoken to the call centre as these were a delivery only item. They said I can take them back to the store for an exchange which suits me. Unfortunately they don't do a 7 treat version (Not of the decent ladders anyway) so I'll be sticking with 6 tread but a much more robust set.

Telescopics are a decent option. Had two sets for 2 years, tradded bottoms with them (worker) and only after a year did the sections start to slide

Get yourself some little giants from Costco well built, sturdy telescopic ladders perfect for putting over gates and doing internal conny cleans (they’re a bit heavy though) You can just see them poking out of the van they fit in nicely, I’ll get a better picture tomorrow for you but can’t recommend them enough 

4C82DBEE-FE34-465D-8635-4577F17653C7.png

5D8DF2FA-88BB-4568-ADBF-75BC8B5CC174.jpeg

Get yourself some little giants from Costco well built, sturdy telescopic ladders perfect for putting over gates and doing internal conny cleans (they’re a bit heavy though) You can just see them poking out of the van they fit in nicely, I’ll get a better picture tomorrow for you but can’t recommend them enough 

View attachment 19214

View attachment 19215
Nice van and sign writing. Fair play. ?

Which ladders are you getting?
The ones I bought were.....

https://www.screwfix.com/p/werner-aluminium-8-treads-platform-stepladder-1-75m/234fv

They were the ones that didn't fit. Returned them today and replaced them with.....

https://www.screwfix.com/p/werner-aluminium-6-treads-platform-stepladder-1-31m/817fv

They look cool but they ain't cheap, maybe I can pop them on the shopping list for another time though.

@P4dstar b&q do a cheaper version of the little giant ladders. I think they're decent quality though I haven't got them. Might be a solution to your space issue, plus got the height of the 8 tread ladders, but still a tad more expensive than your step ladders 

Little giant extreme for me (with internal levellers) and telescopic staging for internals with ladders in trestle mode, great hand hold /tray inserts. Worth keeping an eye out on ebay etc - they are great bit of kit so stable (weigh a bit) fit snugly in the van and so versatile  ?

Last edited by a moderator:
P4dstar - they are solid ladders, not light, but feel very sturdy, well made and no chance of collapse!...If you can stretch to the Extreme, not only will it match your new pole ? but you get a really handy and comfty built in standing platform, the ability to plug in the 'airdeck' think handy shelf which doubles up as a hand rail (so you can stand on the topmost rung safely- great for conny insides and THE killer feature integrated levellers which you can just 'kick' into place and retract with a uber simple single pull on a d ring on the stile...try ebay they come up now and again...worth the extra £ and you'll soon forget it. but will appreciate the added benefits each time you break it out - imo TB Davies supply em but think wickes/screwfix do the mainstream models too

Last edited by a moderator:
P4dstar - they are solid ladders, not light, but feel very sturdy, well made and no chance of collapse!...If you can stretch to the Extreme, not only will it match your new pole ? but you get a really handy and comfty built in standing platform, the ability to plug in the 'airdeck' think handy shelf which doubles up as a hand rail (so you can stand on the topmost rung safely- great for conny insides and THE killer feature integrated levellers which you can just 'kick' into place and retract with a uber simple single pull on a d ring on the stile...try ebay they come up now and again...worth the extra £ and you'll soon forget it. but will appreciate the added benefits each time you break it out - imo TB Davies supply em but think wickes/screwfix do the mainstream models too
Tb Davies are the importers for them in this country , there are several firms that sell them , shop around as you can get a much better price by doing so . 

Telescopics are a decent option. Had two sets for 2 years, tradded bottoms with them (worker) and only after a year did the sections start to slide
Agree, I bought a decent set more than 10 years ago and they are still rock solid I still use them now for flat roof access and the odd conny roof clean 

Tb Davies are the importers for them in this country , there are several firms that sell them , shop around as you can get a much better price by doing so . 

I'll have a look. Found a set of the extreme ones on Ladderstore for £390. Screwfix don't sell the extreme. I liked the revolution ones because a YouTube video showed me the ratchet levelling legs, watched it again and it say "If you choose to upgrade to" so I assume they are only available on the extreme or as an add on.

Back