Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

system cost???

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Spongey

Hi, i've got an X-line RO system, i purchased the van and system as one some years ago from a hard water area and i live in a soft water area.

I'm looking to convert it to a DI system, i've looked at the Facelift compact 725 and floor tanks as i'm wanting more room in my Vivaro.

I'd like the tank against the bulk end of the van to create more room.

So i'm just looking for the tank and a resin bottle to be fitted by a person/company to convert as i already have reels, poles, pumps etc etc.

Any advice and help would be great.

Regards

Rob

if you put it up against the bulkhead you'll probably overload the front axle depending on what size tank you intend on fitting if there is nothing wrong with the system you have why not just stick with it, running an R/O in a soft water area will be cheaper than DI only anyway can't you just utilise what you have and save yourself some money

As @Iron Giant has said axle loading must be checked before considering where to instal a tank. Too much weight on either axle will have a negative effect on braking let alone breaking the law if you ever get pulled by VOSA.
Converting from RO to Di should be very easy as you just take the membrane out of the system and connect the membrane inlet to your DI vessel in and the DI vessel out to the tank.
Have you considered adding an extra small tank to your current system if you need more pure? Maybe a flat tank would give you more space above it for other kit but they can be a pain if you work in hilly areas.

if you put it up against the bulkhead you'll probably overload the front axle depending on what size tank you intend on fitting if there is nothing wrong with the system you have why not just stick with it, running an R/O in a soft water area will be cheaper than DI only anyway can't you just utilise what you have and save yourself some money
Thank you for the reply.

Thanks for the info on the front axle.

i'm looking at a 700ltr tank ish, maybe a flat one.

No nothing wrong with what i've got.

My issues are R/O wastes a lot of water when filling and the tank i have is fixed 18" to 2 foot from the bulk head which wastes space.

As i'm carrying more kit now i'd like more space without buying a mwb ish van.

I understand that a D/I does not waste water but uses a lot of resin to clean (i'm not sure of the amount and cost)

The stability of the van is very good to be fare.

Any further info/help would be great.

Thanks again.

Regards Rob

Thank you for the reply.

My issues are R/O wastes a lot of water when filling and the tank i have is fixed 18" to 2 foot from the bulk head which wastes space.

I understand that a D/I does not waste water but uses a lot of resin to clean (i'm not sure of the amount and cost)

Thanks again.

Regards Rob
There used to be resin calculator online not sure if there is one these days, my tap tds is around 75ppm pretty sure last time I checked using 400ltrs a day I'd go through a bag of resin in around 5 weeks a bag of resin is around £115 I ain't spending that every month pre-filters are around £10 a month

Thank you for the reply.

Thanks again.

Regards Rob
Ime guessing the gap between the tank and bulk head is there due to positioning the weight correctly between front and rear axels a 700 ltr tank will be best part of 800kg if not more when full and fitted with a frame etc that’s a lot of weight especially with inertia so needs to be in the right place it would be better to get professional advice from firms that supply and fit systems like pure freedom , Ionic’s , wcw, and a few others .

There used to be resin calculator online not sure if there is one these days, my tap tds is around 75ppm pretty sure last time I checked using 400ltrs a day I'd go through a bag of resin in around 5 weeks a bag of resin is around £115 I ain't spending that every month pre-filters are around £10 a month
Hi, i'm also in a soft water area, 65ppm when i've tested, it does make sense what you are saying about the cost of the resin, i was looking for a quicker way to fill the tank without wasting water as the R/O does, i have quite low pressure here and it's a 6 to 8 hours fill time.

I was thinking of a smaller tank and the D/I system that i could fill while having a cuppa halfway through the day (as this filters on the way out of the tank, i've been told), as at the mo on a good day i'm running short of water mid afternoon.

Looking at the comments i'm more with sticking to what i've got but i'd like more room in the Vivaro, i was also thinking of getting a mwb for the room issue.

To be fair, reading all the comments has really given me food for thought.

Regards Rob

Hi, i'm also in a soft water area, 65ppm when i've tested, it does make sense what you are saying about the cost of the resin, i was looking for a quicker way to fill the tank without wasting water as the R/O does, i have quite low pressure here and it's a 6 to 8 hours fill time.

I was thinking of a smaller tank and the D/I system that i could fill while having a cuppa halfway through the day (as this filters on the way out of the tank, i've been told), as at the mo on a good day i'm running short of water mid afternoon.

Looking at the comments i'm more with sticking to what i've got but i'd like more room in the Vivaro, i was also thinking of getting a mwb for the room issue.

Regards Rob
If you have room, garage or outside shed, then put a tank and R/O in there and transfer it into your van

If you have room, garage or outside shed, then put a tank and R/O in there and transfer it into your van
I have no garage or shed and only a small area at the front of the house which has no side or rear access, i've run a hose pipe over the roof of a ground floor business that's attached to my house to solve the problem of getting water to the front garden area.

I've previously thought of disguising an ICB size tank at the front of the house to assist.

It's looking like that is going to be the option with a pump to fill the van.

Thanks again.

Regards Rob

@Spongey yes you are right alot depends on access at your house and where you need to let your waste water. Have a look at this resin calculator. You might find with your low tds and the fact you wouldn't have waste water to contend with that a DI might be better from a practical point of view.

Regards Rob
Honestly, years ago I was worried about the waste water so went from an R/O to a DI but I'd forget to check production and have water at 20ppm and I found it all a P.i.a plus resin ain't recyclable or anything so it goes to landfill, my pressure and flow is also low, you'll be getting lower pressure and flow because of of the long length of hose you said you are using across a building to the front of your house 6-8hrs aint that bad my 40/40 takes about that,

You say you are running short of water mid-afternoon one option is to buy some 25ltr containers and have those filled and ready to top up your tank but that can be a bit of a faff, it depends on what's easier for you, another option is to buy one of those cheap storage units like this Extra Large Metal Garden Storage Shed | DIY at B&Q which doesn't have a floor and put Enduramaxx 240 Litre Drinking Water Tank inside this has a 25cm lid which might be just big enough to drop a sub-pump into

You could keep your R/O in your van as is and run a longer length of hose from your van into a storage tank like as linked above or into containers which would be the cheapest option, only you know what will be most suitable on a daily basis over the longterm, but containers is a cheap option and with a decent payload you could carry x4-6 giving you an extra 100-150ltrs and saving you drving home everyday to top up.

Back