Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Tar removal off sandstone

WCF

Help Support WCF:

tino8358

I'm quite new to pressure washing and a customer has some spots of tar on a some of the sandstone papers, any ideas for a good product/method to get this off please.

It has just been laid so is covered in a layer of dried concrete residue, would a hypo wash sort this out beforehand or just straight pressure washing

Video is attached also...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230819_135010_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20230819_135010_Photos.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20230819_135023_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20230819_135023_Photos.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 6
I'm quite new to pressure washing and a customer has some spots of tar on a some of the sandstone papers, any ideas for a good product/method to get this off please.

It has just been laid so is covered in a layer of dried concrete residue, would a hypo wash sort this out beforehand or just straight pressure washing

Video is attached also...
Hypo isn’t what you want for this , you need something that will dissolve tar if it’s only a few spots I have used petrol on a rag before but not recommending this way due to fire hazard but it works

I’ve got oil and tar off with petrol and a blowtorch before but as said it’s hardly the safest option and you can damage the stone if you overdo it.

I’d be surprised if it doesn’t come off with the thinnest ‘pencil’ jet on your PW though. I find most tar / bitumen / paint stains are just on the surface and blast off quite easily.

The cement residue you’ll only shift with brick cleaner but go easy with it. It always comes with warnings that it shouldn’t be used with sandstone as it can bring the iron out and leave rust stains. However I lay patios as well as clean them and never had an issue. Secret is to flood with water before and after. Even more important is to warn client of what ‘could’ happen. It mostly won’t but you’re golden either way if you’ve told them it might and they’ve agree to try it.

Latest Posts

Back