Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

TDS without spotting

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Shinyboy

I'm currently at 015 tds and not getting any spotting at all. But will be changing resin tomorrow. Just out of interest How high has everyone else gone and not noticed any spotting? Oh and merry Christmas to all on the forum from lovely dorset.

Hi I never have gone any higher then 5 don’t want to take a chance on any complaints,but have heard people going higher I suppose it also depends on how dirty the windows are ?

If you work on 000ppm you can do a quick rinse. The higher the ppm you will need to rinse longer. So in my opinion stay as low as you can be, it will save you energy and water

I won’t say how high I have gone when testing additives in the past with @kevinc250 but I’m sure he will agree that people worry about ppm more than they should
As long as it’s around 5 I’m not even thinking about it

During these dark days the windows do look perfect. When the sun hits it then you definitely see the issues unless.

When resin starts depleting it the starts reversing the process and the first element that comes out is sodium. This is where you will find small white circles in the glass.

In the glass washing industry they never go above 005 ppm. So that is what I say is max.

Now would you go washing windows with dirty water. As WFP cleaners we advertise as cleaning with pure water which is 000 ppm.

I won’t say how high I have gone when testing additives in the past with @kevinc250 but I’m sure he will agree that people worry about ppm more than they should
As long as it’s around 5 I’m not even thinking about it
i had a long think about how high i had gone without spotting,i do remember the day as back then i kept a lot of notes regarding tds and other things, i was cleaning a farm house come b&b and had run out of water and had a new clean to do afterwards so, i filled the tank up with their tap water at 236ppm, i had to go back through the notes to verify this as it was late summer 2013.
i was testing a chelating agent at that point so it was the perfect excuse to use it, the first clean on that house was perfect and i kept that customer for nearly five years until she moved away. but the op has related to the tds, a few years ago almost everyone said 000ppm that was their thinking, some even mentioned contaminated brushes from dirt etc thankfully, things have moved on a bit and people are a bit more relaxed and informed over the ppm thing, i like to keep things at 000ppm as a base, i do use additives and i am truley not too bothered if the tds rose to say, 10ppm, if the additive was the 10 ppm spike, water wise anything up to 5ppm is ok for me but its only showing that somewhere ie either resin needs a change or the membrane needs flushing or there is a problem that needs resolving in your set up.

I never let it go above 5 not worth it better to be safe then sorry ,you don’t want to be called back pointless waste of time and profit for a change of resin.

Back