Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Wagtail Pivot Control Handle

WCF

Help Support WCF:

stevethewindowcleaner

Has anyone used one of these with a standard channel? I've recently bought one and when I've tightened the screw to hold it in place the channel doesn't sit quite right. I'm also using some brass clips to hold the rubber in place. Is there anything else I can use as I find them a bit fiddley?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anyone used one of these with a standard channel? I've recently bought one and when I've tightened the screw to hold it in place the channel doesn't sit quite right. I'm also using some brass clips to hold the rubber in place. Is there anything else I can use as I find them a bit fiddley?

You'll probably find it best to leave the screw off and wedge the channel in using nylon ties. you can also use the nylon ties for end clips, somewhere around 10 centimetres in length. What channel are you using, I found the brass traditional OK but heavy, I now use Pulex aluminium, they are very good.

I'm using ettore steel channels. I'll try packing it out to see if that helps. Are the nylon ties effective at holding the rubber in place? Do you just stick one in the end of the channel?

I'm using ettore steel channels. I'll try packing it out to see if that helps. Are the nylon ties effective at holding the rubber in place? Do you just stick one in the end of the channel?

I find the easiest way is to put the tie on the rubber about 2mm from the end and then slide them in together. Sometimes it's easy and sometimes not! You can put the tie above or below the rubber, use a bit of washing up liquid if you want. The best result I've had wedging the channels is to slide the handle up onto the channel while holding the tie in place. Use some washing up liquid to lubricate. As you move the handle further up the channel it will tighten, so you may have to tap the tie lightly with a piece of wood. The angle of a channel in a Wagtail is different to ordinary squeegees and is more crucial. I find the best place for the tie is directly opposite the opening.

^^^^Do It proper /emoticons/wink.png.

Just get yourself a Wagtail and enjoy the swivel too /emoticons/wink.png/emoticons/smile.png.

^^^^Do It proper /emoticons/wink.png.Just get yourself a Wagtail and enjoy the swivel too /emoticons/wink.png/emoticons/smile.png.
Some day.

The reason I changed it is for chair work. The pic is a squeegee I pick up from under a pile of stuff in the truck and it is a sorry looking piece. But I made a 24" wagtail and use it from the bosun chair. It's killer.

I've done over 12,000 rappels in my career and I am the only high rise window cleaner ever to take a wagtail and make a chair cleaning application out of it. The swinging and winds and suction cup use all render the swivel feature useless in the air. But I admire the way you use it with the pole for ground and second level work. If I did much of that type of cleaning I'd definitely learn how.

I'm sorry mate, but I don't think your the 'only' high-rise window cleaner to use a Wagtail.

I've seen plenty of videos of guys using 'proper swiveling' Wagtails while abseiling.

These guys are using what looks like the 'Wagtail Combi'........

[media]

[/media]

View attachment 4355
I half ass glued Velcro right to the channel. I can use this and a spray bottle to do interior windows. Got rid of a five gallon bucket of water for interior work years ago.

What did you use to glue the Velcro, and does it stay on, or do you have to keep re-gluing it?

What did you use to glue the Velcro, and does it stay on, or do you have to keep re-gluing it?
It stays. Marine epoxy.

The guys in that video are too slow /emoticons/smile.png

I'm sorry mate, but I don't think your the 'only' high-rise window cleaner to use a Wagtail.I've seen plenty of videos of guys using 'proper swiveling' Wagtails while abseiling.

These guys are using what looks like the 'Wagtail Combi'........

[media]

Those guys are really slow.

Back