Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Unreasonable people !

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Ocahan01

Today I finally had enough of a customers sly comments and told him to get a new window cleaner . 
this particular customer always has something to say either about Price or the use of water fed pole. 
I was talking to his wife today (lovely woman ) about a window that had a mark on it I think was caused by the opening a top opener before the window had dried properly therefore sparking dirt on the window below. 
I told her I’d come back after I do a few house to check it was ok this time. She said she hadn’t noticed but her husband preferred the traditional method but she was happy with water fed pole and told me not to worry.

i came back when the windows were dried and checked them. They were all perfect and my theory about the opener splashing the window below was correct as I cleaned it then opened it myself then cleaned the window below before I left. 

I knocked the door when I returned and the husband answered so I asked which windows he had a problem with to which he replied all of them ! 
he then said I just splash Water all over the place . I then asked him to show me where Theses marks were on the now dry and perfect windows, he didn’t have an answer so I just told him then to find a new window cleaner . 
he then said he was only joking and to keep doing them . I said no and walked away . 
I hope he has a good time explaining to his wife that they no longer have a window cleaner . I’ve no time anymore for people with attitude. It’s actually a monkey off my back not having to go near him again. 

Today I finally had enough of a customers sly comments and told him to get a new window cleaner . 
this particular customer always has something to say either about Price or the use of water fed pole. 
I was talking to his wife today (lovely woman ) about a window that had a mark on it I think was caused by the opening a top opener before the window had dried properly therefore sparking dirt on the window below. 
I told her I’d come back after I do a few house to check it was ok this time. She said she hadn’t noticed but her husband preferred the traditional method but she was happy with water fed pole and told me not to worry.

i came back when the windows were dried and checked them. They were all perfect and my theory about the opener splashing the window below was correct as I cleaned it then opened it myself then cleaned the window below before I left. 

I knocked the door when I returned and the husband answered so I asked which windows he had a problem with to which he replied all of them ! 
he then said I just splash Water all over the place . I then asked him to show me where Theses marks were on the now dry and perfect windows, he didn’t have an answer so I just told him then to find a new window cleaner . 
he then said he was only joking and to keep doing them . I said no and walked away . 
I hope he has a good time explaining to his wife that they no longer have a window cleaner . I’ve no time anymore for people with attitude. It’s actually a monkey off my back not having to go near him again. 

Totally agree with your actions I would have done the same . 

I got rid of a similar one last week. A new customer, polite and friendly with my wife when asking for our service in a phone call.

Second wash. Notified by my wife the day before and was asked to leave the gate unlocked and the payment in a safe place in the back garden.

"No, we would have to knock on the door and her partner would pay us." Alarm bells at this stage. This was not something we were going to continue with in future. We don't do cap in hand door calls for payment. Too slow and would break our momentum.

Her partner opened the door. Surly, belligerent sod. Moaned that we were already done and said" aren't you even going to squeegee the windows. Reluctantly handed over payment.

Sent her a message when we got home telling her they were not the type of customer for us. We don't tolerate people who don't know what they are talking about criticising our wfp work methods,  and we don't tolerate people refusing to cooperate with our payment system. We told her we'd passed her space to the next person on our waiting list. She said we made a good difference on the first wash but we were gone very quickly. She gave us the benefit of the doubt as we did make a difference. We had used a little soapmix on the first wash as they were filthy.

Said she couldn't see much difference after the second wash and we were only there for a few minutes so she was not happy (there shouldn't be much difference if the first wash was thorough).

We have to decide where the line of tolerance is.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got rid of a similar one last week. A new customer, polite and friendly with my wife when asking for our service in a phone call.

Second wash. Notified by my wife the day before and was asked to leave the gate unlocked and the payment in a safe place in the back garden.

"No, we would have to knock on the door and her partner would pay us." Alarm bells at this stage. This was not something we were going to continue with in future. We don't do cap in hand door calls for payment. Too slow and would break our momentum.

Her partner opened the door. Surly, belligerent sod. Moaned that we were already done and said" aren't you even going to squeegee the windows. Reluctantly handed over payment.

Sent her a message when we got home telling her they were not the type of customer for us. We don't tolerate people who don't know what they are talking about criticising our wfp work methods,  and we don't tolerate people refusing to cooperate with our payment system. We told her we'd passed her space to the next person on our waiting list. She said we made a good difference on the first wash but we were gone very quickly. She gave us the benefit of the doubt as we did make a difference. We had used a little soapmix on the first wash as they were filthy.

Said she couldn't see much difference after the second wash and we were only there for a few minutes so she was not happy (there shouldn't be much difference if the first wash was thorough).
Again another ex customer I’m my books well done for standing up to them it needs more to have this type of attitude towards these arrogant people ?

I tell them when I quote that the idea of the service is to maintain the 'clean look', I actually tell them that they shouldn't look like they need cleaning unless there is a bird splat or something like that, I explain very clearly that I'm keeping it looking permanently clean.

I don't know if it makes a difference, but I don't have anyone saying 'they don't look like they need cleaning', in fact I don't think I've ever had anyone say that and it's coming up to three years now since starting.  Maybe luck but I think it might be how I've explained it.  Also say I work in the rain etc and put it in writing with the quote.

Don't ever lose it or bite back at a customer. Bite your lip walk away or speak to them in a professional manner. Reputation cost more than agro 

Don't ever lose it or bite back at a customer. Bite your lip walk away or speak to them in a professional manner. Reputation cost more than agro 
I didn’t lose it or bite back I simply told him to find another window cleaner and walked away . I’ve been in this business for nearly 25 years so I’m experienced in dealing with people like him .

I dumped one a few years ago in similar circumstances. I regret falling out with him as he was just OCD. I got a text 18 months later asking me to go back. I said you weren't happy with my work, text came back, it was only the landing window that was a problem. Ok I said, but it's £2 more. Not a problem came the reply. Got another text later from his phone to say that he had died, and his funeral was yesterday!! His wife had clearly decided she could have her windows done again!

I didn’t lose it or bite back I simply told him to find another window cleaner and walked away . I’ve been in this business for nearly 25 years so I’m experienced in dealing with people like him .
I don't tend to lose it with customers either. I take no prisoners with putting them in their place if they are rude though, especially as I'm working at the time and they're not. I stop short of shouting or swearing. Same with rude neighbours.

"Go away and don't be annoying me. Some of us are trying to work while others who aren't at work have the time to annoy those of us who are trying to get on with our work." is a favourite retort that generally leaves them gobsmacked. Sometimes I vary or shorten it a bit. Up to now it has stopped most kerbside mouthpieces in their tracks.

Very, very rarely, I just can't be a...d and just ignore them.

I don't tend to lose it with customers either. I take no prisoners with putting them in their place if they are rude though, especially as I'm working at the time and they're not. I stop short of shouting or swearing. Same with rude neighbours.

"Go away and don't be annoying me. Some of us are trying to work while others who aren't at work have the time to annoy those of us who are trying to get on with our work." is a favourite retort that generally leaves them gobsmacked. Sometimes I vary or shorten it a bit. Up to now it has stopped most kerbside mouthpieces in their tracks.

Very, very rarely, I just can't be a...d and just ignore them.
What annoys me is some smart ass walking past and they say “ you have missed a bit and laugh “ I normally  say scornfully never Hurd that one before !!!!!

What annoys me is some smart ass walking past and they say “ you have missed a bit and laugh “ I normally  say scornfully never Hurd that one before !!!!!
I usually reply with “ next time try to be a bit more original “ gets a bit tiresome after 20+ years lol. 

I think that in @Ocahan01's  & @Jonny 67's case it's the wife who wants the windows cleaned but the husband doesn't. It can be a bit of an awkward situation but it's ultimately up to them to sort out their differences.

I have this with one of my customers currently - just seeing how bad it gets before I decide what to do...

I usually reply with “ next time try to be a bit more original “ gets a bit tiresome after 20+ years lol. 
 It’s just a light hearted quip, so I smile and  get on with my work. 

And yes, I’ve been hearing it for over 30 years. 

I think that in @Ocahan01's  & @Jonny 67's case it's the wife who wants the windows cleaned but the husband doesn't. It can be a bit of an awkward situation but it's ultimately up to them to sort out their differences.

I have this with one of my customers currently - just seeing how bad it gets before I decide what to do...
Could be the case but ultimately I’ve come to the conclusion that the husband is just a ****. Retired school teacher with a complex , it’s a shame because his wife is a lovely woman . I’ll explain my reasons for dropping her if a meet her about town. 
im not going to be spoken to like that by him or anyone on my round. 

Turn round with the pole and say 'what's that?' and accidently on purpose give them a good soaking ? 'oooops, sooorrrry, that's what you get for distracting me when I'm working...' ?

Just dumped a customer thats rubbed me up the wrong way

Elderly couple nice people bungalow plus conservatory cleaned traditionally (my wife dont like the windows left wet was why they wouldnt go WFP).

So today i get a snotty voice mail,

"hi Jon, 

Thanks for doing our windows 2 weeks ago, but youve put a bill in for £22 and not £20, i appreciate that the 2022 price is £22 but as you didnt come in December my husband and i believe that we should be charged £20, as technically this was Decembers clean and not Januarys, so ive transfered £20 only."

So i rang her and explained that in December we lost 4days in wk1 due to weather, we lost week 2 and 3 of 5 days of week 3 to covid, and the last few days before xmas shutdown wee lost due to a smashed windscreen on the van so we could not get to them as was explained clearly in txt messages to all customers. Her response was 

"Im sorry about the issues you had, but that doesnt alter the fact that we believe we should be charged 2021 price as you didnt come in December"

Politely told her "well thank you for your past business, but im afraid we wont be able to continue cleaning your windows, if youd like to give WCAW a call im sure theyll fit you in on their round"

Shd ended the call with "sorry you feel that way Jon, i thought you were more professional than that"

Had a really good rapport with this couple, always got a cuppa n biccies, always asked how my wife n kids were, some people believe theyre entitled to dictate to us because we are 'just window cleaners' absolutely baffling

Can't believe you've dropped a good custy for £2, personally would have laughed it off and moved on. If she hadn't accepted the higher price then that I could understand but lose £250+ customer a year for £2 is beyond me. But at the end of the day your business and your decision.
I think it the principle of the matter . Customers don’t set prices . I think if all price hikes were based on how many months in the year we missed then we’d all be in time debt. The weather in the uk and Ireland means that we all at some stage don’t land exactly on the month every month. 

I think it the principle of the matter . Customers don’t set prices . I think if all price hikes were based on how many months in the year we missed then we’d all be in time debt. The weather in the uk and Ireland means that we all at some stage don’t land exactly on the month every month. 
As I said his business his decision, he did however say they were a lovely couple that made him tea and gave him biscuits. He'll have to take a flask and buy some custard creams now because of £2.

Can't believe you've dropped a good custy for £2, personally would have laughed it off and moved on. If she hadn't accepted the higher price then that I could understand but lose £250+ customer a year for £2 is beyond me. But at the end of the day your business and your decision.
6 weekly so 8 cleans  year (7 accounting for weather) so was £140 a year but i did neglect to say that if on holiday they skip so probably only 5/6 cleans a year in reality and was a trad clean so by binning them off i can add 2 wfp customers in their place @ £15/20 a clean as it was a full round and couldnt fit anybody else on it, now i can fit potentially £240/320 a year worth of work into the slot that was in reality £100/120 a year.

More than enough extra for a flask and biccies lol

Latest Posts

Back