Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Van thoughts/opinions/experiences please!

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Mowgli

Hi all! I’m looking for some advice from those of you who know a thing or two about vans. I’m really not mechanically minded!

I’ve outgrown my Peugeot partner and looking to purchase a LWB “medium” size van. I’ve found two locally within my budget.

First up is a 2017 Transit Custom 290 Limited, 102k miles, partial service history with two stamps. £13,795 +vat (£16,554)

Vs

2019 Renault trafic 1.6 Sport 94k miles, full service history £15,750 no vat

The Renault seems like a no brainier to me considering the price difference. It’s a newer vehicle with less miles on the clock and a better service history.

Other than the Ford badge, is there something I am missing which justifies the higher price of the older vehicle? Yes, the Ford is limited, but the Renault is a pretty decent spec too and has a reversing camera which the Ford lacks. Both look in pretty decent condition and drive nicely. I’m not too bothered about all the bells and whistles like heated seats etc as I’d rather the money in my pocket.

Would appreciate any thoughts on the matter in terms of Renault vs Ford, reliability, personal experiences etc etc.

Thanks in advance!

I’m not mechanically minded either but have had both vans so can only give you my personal experience. I’ve got a Transit Custom 2017 89000 on the clock. By and large has caused me little problems apart from power steering pipe a few weeks ago. New one replaced not that expensive. I have a 650 litre tank and it pulls the weight no problem at all.
I had two Trafic Sports at the same time a few years ago. Lovely looking vans with more bells and whistles than the Transit. And again drove nicely and pulled the weight no problem.
But I had the same problem occurred on both vans more or less at the same time. Both around 100,000 miles
The dash kept lighting up like a Xmas tree. Check injectors was a favourite one and other things I can’t remember. Took them both in to the garage at different times and each time they said after plugging in they could find no faults. So they cleared the lights and within a day Xmas tree again.
To be fair the vans both drove fine. It was just unnerving with all the warning lights on so I changed them both for two transits.
This may not be common with them I don’t know. I’m just giving you my experience.
The other thing to consider with the Transits is they are very easy to get into either by through the drivers door or by simply ‘peeling’ back the rear or side doors. I live and work rural so my vans pretty safe so it depends where you live.
Deadlocks of course will negate that problem but it is a few hundred quid you have to factor in.
Second hand vans is a minefield to be honest. The best advice I can give is take someone with you to have a good look over the van who knows what they are doing/looking for. If you don’t know anyone I’m pretty sure you can pay a mechanic to come out with you. There’s obviously a cost there but when you consider you’re spending thousands it’s a no brainer.
Good luck with whichever way you go.

I’m not mechanically minded either but have had both vans so can only give you my personal experience. I’ve got a Transit Custom 2017 89000 on the clock. By and large has caused me little problems apart from power steering pipe a few weeks ago. New one replaced not that expensive. I have a 650 litre tank and it pulls the weight no problem at all.
I had two Trafic Sports at the same time a few years ago. Lovely looking vans with more bells and whistles than the Transit. And again drove nicely and pulled the weight no problem.
Thanks for the insights. This is exactly what I’m looking for. I’ll be fitting a 650L tank too. The transit already has deadlocks fitted, but thanks for the tip.

Out of interest, did you buy yours from new? If so, at what point will you consider buying your next? Do you have a date/time in mind or do you keep them until they’re at deaths door? My Peugeot Partner is a 2012 and I’ve had it 7 years. It’s been a great little van but only now has had a few niggles creeping in which is what’s prompting me to get something bigger before something serious happens.

I was initially looking for a Transit Custom and was quite keen on this one until I saw the newer Trafic at £800 less. I hate making decisions!

I have a friend of a friend who is a mechanic so I’ll see if he can check out the vans with me. Thanks again for your reply.

No mine wasn’t from new but it didn’t have lots of mileage on the clock.
I think It’s paid for in about 6 months so I’ll ride it out until then and make a decision.

I know nothing about vans but those prices seem a bit steep, I just purchased a 2018 Vivaro with 55,000 for a little over £11,000 + VAT

Edit: mine was also from a dealership

I know nothing about vans but those prices seem a bit steep, I just purchased a 2018 Vivaro with 55,000 for a little over £11,000 + VAT

Edit: mine was also from a dealership
Thanks. One of those things that depends on where you’re living I suppose. I’m in Sussex, just outside Brighton so everything comes at a premium unfortunately! Prices seem to be on par with similar age/specced vehicles in the area.

Back