Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Water pumps

WCF

Help Support WCF:

carpergaz

What water pumps do people use for there garden hose to fill up window cleaning vans to get extra pressure as don't think I have enough pressure going through the ro thanks

Last edited:
Yeah I mean for filling up windows cleaning van .I run a hose down the garden but don't think there enough pressure
If you are transferring pure from a storage tank then you probably need a submersible pump and some 1" hose. If it's to fill your van up that has onboard RO then you need to test the pressure at the tap first as if that's low then you aren't really going to be able to change that without some plumbing. I replaced my outdoor tap as it was one of the cheap kits that use a washing machine fitting that pierces the 15mm pipe. These things don't help the flow as they are quite restrictive. I replaced mine with a a tee piece, full bore shutoff valve and full bore tap, that improved the pressure but I'm still only getting about 28psi. My low pressure is probably due to the old lead supply pipe!
Depending on what membrane you have will determine what input pressure you need and if a booster pump is required but you really need to know the pressure and ideally flow from your garden tap before deciding what needs to be done.

Hope that gives you some clues?

If you are transferring pure from a storage tank then you probably need a submersible pump and some 1" hose. If it's to fill your van up that has onboard RO then you need to test the pressure at the tap first as if that's low then you aren't really going to be able to change that without some plumbing. I replaced my outdoor tap as it was one of the cheap kits that use a washing machine fitting that pierces the 15mm pipe. These things don't help the flow as they are quite restrictive. I replaced mine with a a tee piece, full bore shutoff valve and full bore tap, that improved the pressure but I'm still only getting about 28psi. My low pressure is probably due to the old lead supply pipe!
Depending on what membrane you have will determine what input pressure you need and if a booster pump is required but you really need to know the pressure and ideally flow from your garden tap before deciding what needs to be done.

Hope that gives you some clues?
It's a 40/40 membrane I think I need to find out the pressure in the tap see what's coming out . problem is it runs about 60 meters down a garden to the van

It's a 40/40 membrane I think I need to find out the pressure in the tap see what's coming out . problem is it runs about 60 meters down a garden to the van
Maybe better to find out the water pressure at the end of the hose pipe and how many litres per minute of water you are getting.

Cool thanks I try how long should it take
It should only take a few seconds to fill a 1 litre jug, as you are running a 40/40 I'd recommend going to Screwfix tonight and buy a pressure gauge and test your tap pressure ASAP otherwise you risk damaging your membrane that'll be an expensive mistake

Most watering cans have an internal measuring gauge @carpergaz . Ours is a 20 litre watering can, and I used it to measure our flow at the back tap. In a minute, our back tap delivered 13 litres. Our water pressure at the back tap 16 years ago was 50 psi. These days, water pressure at the r/o fluctuates between 50 and 55psi.

Having a 60-meter length of hose will play havoc with flow and pressure. As water flows through a hose, it can become turbulent, which slows the flow rate right down. It's the same as a stream. If you look at the water on the bank edges, it doesn't flow like the water does in the middle of the stream. Flowing water develops friction on the pipe's wall which slows it down and creates turbulence.

Do a search under turbulence. This subject is discussed from time to time.

Last edited:
Cool thanks I try how long should it take
A minute.

Time it and then see how much water is in the watering can/measuring jug. It doesn't need to be 100% accurate. If it between 10 above, then that's ok. The pressure is the most important part. If you have a 4040 and need the pressure boosting, then water authority regulations state that you must not draw any more than 12 litres per minute from the main water supply. But a length of 60 meter hose is going to create issues.

Last edited:
Back