Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Waterworks PowerUpHD + solid DIY pivotting hose-guide

WCF

Help Support WCF:

With the help of my most excellent retired engineer & welder neigbour, he created this little bit of retractble hose guide as my space was very limited in my small VW Caddy with 375 litre system & frame

As spare wheel is under where any cutting would need to be putting hose guides throught he van body/cutting etc. would not be possible/very difficult

This retractble movement arm now gives around 30cm of distance out between hose guide and electric reel (a lot safer now and much less of a finger trap, as your hands needs to be behind the hose guides.  Gets rid of kinks winding in, no shocks to the elbow when a kink hits your hand you didnt see coming in, speedier/quicker pulling hose in, as it moves hose can be coiled evenly preventing and not grouped in one part of the electric reel, you can keep tension on the hose to prevent hose from bird nesting on the reel 

As this product doesnt current exist in the market place i thought i would post it to youtube to help folk in the same predicament to show what is possible. Not a huge job to do, a little welding skills and scavaging old parts together, nothing needed to be bought, just the hose guides.

Solves the space issue for small vans using electric reels wonderfully & safely

Hope you find the video helpful

IMG_4621.JPG

IMG_4622.JPG

IMG_4623.JPG

IMG_4624.JPG

IMG_4626.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks a smart job your friend as done well ? Thanks for posting you just reminded me to put mine back on that my friend made me ? I removed it because I was having overspin probs waterworks sent me a overspin kit out for free at the same time I bought my bought second hd reel. 

MY rollers are modified as the gap between rollers was a little tight removed the bottom roller now works a treat ? Just spent 5minutes installing again. 

IMG_0542.JPG

IMG_0543.JPG

IMG_0545.JPG

Thats really good, ive been thinking of something similar, as havent fitted reel,due to it having to be fixed n manual can placed in direction you need it.

@NorthumberlandWindowCleanr looks really good, I am surprised there is so little space in a swb caddy I have 350ltr upright tank in my Vauxhall Combo/Fiat Doblo and have quite a bit more room, I had my spare wheel removed from underneath to fit rollers through the floor as I like my van doors locked at all times, I am guessing they just used a jigsaw after pre-drilling some holes. 

20190403_091006.jpg

20190403_090934.jpg

It looks good @NorthumberlandWindowCleanr.

What I would be concerned about as @Iron Giant says is not being able to lock your van up. We don't always lock the van up but always have the rear doors closed when we are working.

I would also worry about the wind catching an open door and slamming it closed onto the bracket sticking out and damaging the door.

The third thing is that you still can only pull the hose straight out behind the van. The rollers aren't far enough out to pull the hose at an angle. You could do it with the van doors fully open to 180 degrees but that's not ideal. The Purefreedom reel with the adjustable roller has the same problem. It will work better with a van with a tailgate rather than barn doors, but those used vehicles out there are usually AA or RAC vans. A tailgate was a factory option and a van with it was worth far less on trade-in when compared to the same van with barn doors.

Just my opinion though.

@NorthumberlandWindowCleanr looks really good, I am surprised there is so little space in a swb caddy I have 350ltr upright tank in my Vauxhall Combo/Fiat Doblo and have quite a bit more room, I had my spare wheel removed from underneath to fit rollers through the floor as I like my van doors locked at all times, I am guessing they just used a jigsaw after pre-drilling some holes. 

View attachment 17245

View attachment 17246

Have you got your spare fitted inside somewhere.

I ask as the easy solution is to carry one of those emergency tyre inflators in a portable can.

But sealing a tyre with a puncture is difficult (just read the instructions) and the tyre needs to be replaced as it can't be fixed.

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/car-maintenance/repair-a-flat-tyre/

Have you got your spare fitted inside somewhere.

I ask as the easy solution is to carry one of those emergency tyre inflators in a portable can.

But sealing a tyre with a puncture is difficult (just read the instructions) and the tyre needs to be replaced as it can't be fixed.

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/car-maintenance/repair-a-flat-tyre/
I bought a cheap carry bag off amazon I think it was and it's down the side of my tank were there is ample space, although I have only recently got things sorted. 

Looks a smart job your friend as done well ? Thanks for posting you just reminded me to put mine back on that my friend made me ? I removed it because I was having overspin probs waterworks sent me a overspin kit out for free at the same time I bought my bought second hd reel. 

MY rollers are modified as the gap between rollers was a little tight removed the bottom roller now works a treat ? Just spent 5minutes installing again. 

View attachment 17221

View attachment 17222

View attachment 17223
Hi Den  looks spot on mate, what did you use to get the 'stand off ' from the reel to the roller. Looking at doing the same this weekend bud.

Back