Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Hse Information Sheet Misc613 Safety In Window Cleaning Using Portable Ladders .

WCF

Help Support WCF:

If you read the bit on that link on sloping roofs, from the bottom of page 4, they are even harsher with this than with flat roofs.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/misc613.pdf

here is some quotes

... For domestic work above small areas of sloping

roofs, eg over ground-floor porches and below

first-floor dormers: ...

...Current trade practice to work from the sloping roof is

still widespread, particularly among self-employed

window cleaners at private domestic premises....

...HSE recognises this as a problem that will not always

easily be eliminated given that the pay rates for window

cleaners often make use of expensive equipment

uncompetitive. ...

..., the only safe solution may be that window

cleaners do not attempt to clean such windows...

GM its always been my interpretation that they are guidelines as well. But after dealing with them, they make it clear that you are breaking the law. 2 meters is 6 ft, not all flats roofs on residential are that deep, so that rule wont get you out of it on every property.

In my opinion its barmey, I feel allot safer on a little flat roof 10ft off the ground, that at the top of a 27 ft pair of triple ladders. But according to HSE the 27ft ladder that can be blown over, knocked over or slip out is fine, but standing on a flat roof without fall protection is dicing with death.

Here is an extract from the email I was sent direct for HSE.
the extract you supplied was referring to the document we are discussing now right? the one that i have already quoted as saying you can work off a flat roof provided you are sufficient distance from the edge? seems strange they would advise you it was against the law and then send you a document which clearly states you can do it?

hi ya, agree with GMcleaning i would feel safer on a high ledge as opposed to steps , i have houses on my round that have a bay window then a window above the porches that have flat roofs its quiker for me to step of the ladder on to the porch rather than get down the ladder and move it again the porch roofs are only just wide enough to stand on with my size 12 boots lol so in effect i am flouting HSE law even though i have been doing this for years

Yeah I agree GM my first reaction, was that is completely misinterpreted but that is the way it is being enforced. They say you should be 2 meters from the ledge, so like I said if its a little flat roof above a entry vestibule at the front of the biuld or even a little flat roof above a bay window, its not allowed.

That guide previously linked is old, here is a link to the ammended guide that I was sent...

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg401.pdf

The guy that sent me the pack highlighted point 24 on that guide for me, basically saying, because is says on one of the points "give collective protection measures (e.g. guard rails) priority over personal protection". You cant work on that roof if there is no fence up round it.

Its nonsense I agree, but I don't fancy any large fines, so a trad pole it is. Apparently there is a guy assigned to HSE for every local council, and with the law being changed this month to allow them to pass on the costs to you, its a bit worrying.

have a look at this

http://www.hse.gov.uk/press/2012/hse-ffi-begins.htm

hi ya , so are the HSE leaning to wards all window cleaners ie solo or one man band to having a method statement for all domestic works, i can just imagine it custy says how are you going to clean that window we can not HSE says we can not, well i will get jo bloggs down the road to do it he dont mind standing on a roof, i no iam being cynical about this but windowcleaners have been a bout longer and the comonsense factor was allways the rule of thumb.......pete

hi ya , so are the HSE leaning to wards all window cleaners ie solo or one man band to having a method statement for all domestic works, i can just imagine it custy says how are you going to clean that window we can not HSE says we can not, well i will get jo bloggs down the road to do it he dont mind standing on a roof, i no iam being cynical about this but windowcleaners have been a bout longer and the comonsense factor was allways the rule of thumb.......pete
yer you are right it is all that, but in this day of age, its all about safety and suing etc, sad world we live in now, it how things change. bit like the driving tests, years ago all you have was a few leason and a practical test, and you can drive most things and tow things.

now you have to have leasons, theroy test, practical test and then if you have to tow things you have to have another test for that too! crazy world we live in now!

yer you are right it is all that, but in this day of age, its all about safety and suing etc, sad world we live in now, it how things change. bit like the driving tests, years ago all you have was a few leason and a practical test, and you can drive most things and tow things.

now you have to have leasons, theroy test, practical test and then if you have to tow things you have to have another test for that too! crazy world we live in now!
its getting more mad out their /emoticons/tongue.png

Back