Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

What size tank suitable for a VW Caddy? ?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Disagree with that , 

lets say citron Nemo , very small van 

payload 660kg

don't need 500lite tank

350lite does me the day,  take home £280 

The OP is just starting out don’t waste loads money on stuff , what happens if this isn’t for you ,  keep tight budget till you 100% kno this is what you want todo full time , then Plan for the long run
ive been there mate with crappy small vans with rubbish payloads..IMO their not suitable esp the nemo/caddy,etc....itll be on its **** first thing in the morning with a full tank!you risk broken suspension springs etc.....

I have a lwb caddy and i have 350l compact from wcw. If i need extra i fill up a few barrels. Personally 350l is enough for caddy as I do need space for other things. I have about tank about 6 inches from bulkhead.

20190703_173903.jpg

20190703_173937.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no idear how you come home with water in the tank with just 350  ltr to start with , two of use are in one van and doing up to 100 properties a day of various sizes , but it’s not the size that’s important it’s the number of hours actually on the glass we do a minimum of seven hours a day per van so with two people that’s 14 working hours per day and use between 1000 when doing domestic to - 1500 ltr when doing big commercial work . We don't waste water neither do we scrimp on it . Years ago when I started wfp working on my own  I had a 650 ltr tank and again working 7 hours on the glass would empty the tank most days , I guess we all have different  ways of working , I just struggle to see how ones work all day with 350 ltr I know a lot of window cleaners and none that I know could do that the vast majority have 500 ltr tanks and some top

up again at lunch time to keep them going , maybe different parts of the country are easier to clean depending what  the dirt is on the windows , 90 % of what we do has seagull poo on it and lots of snail trails and pollen , so maybe we use more water beacause of that I don’t know .

I would imagine it's the working environment, I work predominantly on quiet estates so it's all fairly straightforward work, I am lucky if I do 6 hrs on the glass a day 8.30am start an home at 4.30pm at the latest usually 

how much trad do you do?i cant see how 350L does you all day,i only work 5-6  hours a day  and come home with very little water left in my 500L tank,i do very little trad,most days none at all,i also wash most doors down as well as frames, sills and glass....

i use a univalve and work with a high flow......yours must be dribbling out of your brush!?

Seriously you ain't been wfp all that long as far as I can  remember maybe a few years, I've been wfp for over 11 years and I personally don't skimp on water a full and thorough clean of all the frames sills glass and doors including garage doors on some jobs. 

Someone using 2mm jets will need a far higher flow rate on their system and thus use up to one third more water than myself as an example who uses 1mm pencilled jets which provides a more powerful rinse and uses less water,this is something some people just don't get yet are happy to jump on lads who may use water far more efficiently. If my memory serves me correctly someone said a univalve saves around 12 litres of water a day hardly worth having one and hence you use 500ltrs a day. 

ive been there mate with crappy small vans with rubbish payloads..IMO their not suitable esp the nemo/caddy,etc....itll be on its **** first thing in the morning with a full tank!you risk broken suspension springs etc.....
My very first van was a nemo, 3 year I had it for , sold it for same size van ,  that nemo is still getting used to this day , 

Seriously you ain't been wfp all that long as far as I can  remember maybe a few years, I've been wfp for over 11 years and I personally don't skimp on water a full and thorough clean of all the frames sills glass and doors including garage doors on some jobs. 

Someone using 2mm jets will need a far higher flow rate on their system and thus use up to one third more water than myself as an example who uses 1mm pencilled jets which provides a more powerful rinse and uses less water,this is something some people just don't get yet are happy to jump on lads who may use water far more efficiently. If my memory serves me correctly someone said a univalve saves around 12 litres of water a day hardly worth having one and hence you use 500ltrs a day. 
errr.....ive been WFP for 9 years now mate....?....maybe i just clean more work than you in the same time......i dont stop apart from the odd 5 min brew and 30 mins for lunch......

my flow controller is normally set on 40-45 too......its gushing out on that setting....?

errr.....ive been WFP for 9 years now mate....?....maybe i just clean more work than you in the same time......i dont stop apart from the odd 5 min brew and 30 mins for lunch......

my flow controller is normally set on 40-45 too......its gushing out on that setting....?

Then with respect that's the difference 2 mm jets I assume and more than double the flow rate than my setting which is currently 18. 

I use 2mm pencil jets have tried others but found either they were blasting on the glass like a pressure washer and spraying onto the wall and bringing dirt onto the window or the flow rate down the glass was insufficient to rinse the dirt down thus slowing me down , I guess just like a lot of other things window cleaning related is brushes poles etc we all have our preferences and that works for us .

Then with respect that's the difference 2 mm jets I assume and more than double the flow rate than my setting which is currently 18. 
yep 2mm jets........i couldnt work with a setting of 18...i did when i had a trolley system many years ago but i was so slow at wfp cleaning then.....i was quicker trad!?

yep 2mm jets........i couldnt work with a setting of 18...i did when i had a trolley system many years ago but i was so slow at wfp cleaning then.....i was quicker trad!?
2mm jets for me are an issue to slow a flow and a higher setting needed and a 50 litre trolley would slow most people down ?, with 1mm jets the flow from the brush head is a lot faster and more powerful hence the reduced water usage. 

I use 2mm pencil jets have tried others but found either they were blasting on the glass like a pressure washer and spraying onto the wall and bringing dirt onto the window or the flow rate down the glass was insufficient to rinse the dirt down thus slowing me down , I guess just like a lot of other things window cleaning related is brushes poles etc we all have our preferences and that works for us .
They aren't for everyone and can take some getting used to, I know another cleaner who didn't like them but he said he isn't bothered about how much water he uses at all as he has a 1,000ltr tank in his van, I rinse on the glass on most jobs and have worked out the correct flow and technique over the years to get the best results across the board. 

2mm jets for me are an issue to slow a flow and a higher setting needed and a 50 litre trolley would slow most people down ?, with 1mm jets the flow from the brush head is a lot faster and more powerful hence the reduced water usage. 

They aren't for everyone and can take some getting used to, I know another cleaner who didn't like them but he said he isn't bothered about how much water he uses at all as he has a 1,000ltr tank in his van, I rinse on the glass on most jobs and have worked out the correct flow and technique over the years to get the best results across the board. 
gardiners have a new plug and twist system on their brushes for changing the jets,if they sell 1mm jets ill give them a try......?

I am a bit miffed you didn't notice mine ? I got mine of ebay with 3 Autoglym bottles included the bottles are really good with very good quality trigger with a decent spring fitted, the bottle holders are very easily attached to the ply-lining with some Reisser Cutter Pozi Screw 4.0 x 40mm 

I'm sorry.? I was so focused on your system that I didn't see the spray bottle holders tucked away at the top left hand corner. I think I was also impressed by you saying that the reason why you have chosen the van you have is so you can put it into the garage overnight in winter. So few ever consider this when choosing a van.

I was also preoccupied with thinking about how we can adjust our way of working to accommodate fitting a smaller tank. In your case its to go to 1mm jets to reduce water consumption without affecting your rinsing results.

I tried 1.4mm jets from Gardiners and I found it took me so much longer to rinse and the results weren't that good. Unfortunately on the coast we have a lot of salt buildup which needs a good rinse flow to give acceptable results.

Over the years I have settled on 2mm jets as a good compromise. 3mm jets are the best but we use far too much water.

For the first time yesterday I used the new Gardiner rinse bar on windows virtually facing the sea. The results look good tbh.

You will also notice that I didn't ask @Daniel Perkins about his 6' wide brush.?

Slightly off topic. I'm going to start a thread a little later about the differences between using minibore and microbore hose and how the affect water consumption. I have just put 100m of microbore onto one of my hose reels but find the flow rather restricted. Our water ATM is quite warm so I wonder how cold winter temperatures will affect flow rate.

I'm sorry.? I was so focused on your system that I didn't see the spray bottle holders tucked away at the top left hand corner. I think I was also impressed by you saying that the reason why you have chosen the van you have is so you can put it into the garage overnight in winter. So few ever consider this when choosing a van.

I was also preoccupied with thinking about how we can adjust our way of working to accommodate fitting a smaller tank. In your case its to go to 1mm jets to reduce water consumption without affecting your rinsing results.

I tried 1.4mm jets from Gardiners and I found it took me so much longer to rinse and the results weren't that good. Unfortunately on the coast we have a lot of salt buildup which needs a good rinse flow to give acceptable results.

Over the years I have settled on 2mm jets as a good compromise. 3mm jets are the best but we use far too much water.

For the first time yesterday I used the new Gardiner rinse bar on windows virtually facing the sea. The results look good tbh.

You will also notice that I didn't ask @Daniel Perkins about his 6' wide brush.?

Slightly off topic. I'm going to start a thread a little later about the differences between using minibore and microbore hose and how the affect water consumption. I have just put 100m of microbore onto one of my hose reels but find the flow rather restricted. Our water ATM is quite warm so I wonder how cold winter temperatures will affect flow rate.

A van with a higher roof I also wouldn't get under the archway into our courtyard which was built in 1850, but plenty of room in the garage really at 21ft long but since getting rid of the truck I have more junk at the back but I can get the rear doors fully open. 

I am a bit miffed you didn't notice mine ? I got mine of ebay with 3 Autoglym bottles included the bottles are really good with very good quality trigger with a decent spring fitted, the bottle holders are very easily attached to the ply-lining with some Reisser Cutter Pozi Screw 4.0 x 40mm 
I got those Autoglym bottles too but already 2 have cracked at the bottom, trigger is great but very flimsy imo. I had solvent for bird muck in one and smell stunk up whole van. The ones from Metrax are definitely much better quality and more hard wearing.

I got those Autoglym bottles too but already 2 have cracked at the bottom, trigger is great but very flimsy imo. I had solvent for bird muck in one and smell stunk up whole van. The ones from Metrax are definitely much better quality and more hard wearing.
What are you doing with them also a bit puzzled why you would have solvent for bird muck, Mine are either in the rack or on a first clean I have one with diluted Ubik2000 which I carry in the bottle holder part of my Moerman Side-kit 

What are you doing with them also a bit puzzled why you would have solvent for bird muck, Mine are either in the rack or on a first clean I have one with diluted Ubik2000 which I carry in the bottle holder part of my Moerman Side-kit 
I had a job with mountains of bird muck on a big shopping centre signage plastic & metal very awkward, not your conventional bird muck on glass I couldn't put much pressure on the signage and it was at a height. So sprayed solvent on, left for few mins so it could break down the bird mess.. which it did and then wash off. You never heard of using solvent for bird sh*t? There are lots of chems you can use I suppose, whatever works

Not sure how each bottle broke but they were on my rack as per usual and both cracked at the bottom and solvent leaked out. Very flimsy and much better to order the bottles that come with the Metrax stuff.

I had a job with mountains of bird muck on a big shopping centre signage plastic & metal very awkward, not your conventional bird muck on glass I couldn't put much pressure on the signage and it was at a height. So sprayed solvent on, left for few mins so it could break down the bird mess.. which it did and then wash off. You never heard of using solvent for bird sh*t? There are lots of chems you can use I suppose, whatever works

Not sure how each bottle broke but they were on my rack as per usual and both cracked at the bottom and solvent leaked out. Very flimsy and much better to order the bottles that come with the Metrax stuff.
No never heard of using a solvent, I also forgot you do a lot of commercial work I am trying to move away from chems completely including tfr and will soon be trialing a plant based detergent and a degreaser for first cleans. 

Back