Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Whats going on with my RO

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Baldmonkey

Hi Guys

Not been around for a while so hope everyone is doing ok.
I came across an issue today that I haven't had before and not sure how to proceed/rectify.

i am running an axeon hf5 4040 membrane and all has been well with it for the past 2 years. I'm running a vaned booster pump and normally get a good 60/40 or 50/50 waste pure ratio at around 120psi, today however i have to really choke the waste down to get anywhere near the normal 120psi and that leaves very little waste coming out.

I flush my membrane every time i produce for approx. 10 minutes each time.

i just flushed for approx. 1hr and nothing made any difference, also the pure is **** (up to about 22ppm from 150ppm input)

any advice would be gratefully appreciated (i have searched but not found anything related)

Hi Guys

Not been around for a while so hope everyone is doing ok.
I came across an issue today that I haven't had before and not sure how to proceed/rectify.

i am running an axeon hf5 4040 membrane and all has been well with it for the past 2 years. I'm running a vaned booster pump and normally get a good 60/40 or 50/50 waste pure ratio at around 120psi, today however i have to really choke the waste down to get anywhere near the normal 120psi and that leaves very little waste coming out.

I flush my membrane every time i produce for approx. 10 minutes each time.

i just flushed for approx. 1hr and nothing made any difference, also the pure is **** (up to about 22ppm from 150ppm input)

any advice would be gratefully appreciated (i have searched but not found anything related)
Has your mains pressure dropped and the booster pump struggling for water ? Water is also less viscous this time of year ( thinner so the pressure will be less) could also be your water is coming from a different reservoir and it’s altered the TDS

An HF5 is rated at 80 PSI you shouldn’t go any higher. If you push it up to 120 PSI then you are reducing the waste which would be less than 50%. When you do this it will shorten the life span of the membrane and your ppm will increase.

Has your mains pressure dropped and the booster pump struggling for water ? Water is also less viscous this time of year ( thinner so the pressure will be less) could also be your water is coming from a different reservoir and it’s altered the TDS
no mains pressure is the same as before, if anytging the tds has gone down due to the water company mixing water from various sources to soften it, judging by dougs comments ive buggered the membrane ?
An HF5 is rated at 80 PSI you shouldn’t go any higher. If you push it up to 120 PSI then you are reducing the waste which would be less than 50%. When you do this it will shorten the life span of the membrane and your ppm will increase.
ahhhh.... well..... err...

thats not good news is it ???

just looked at the specs though and it gives maximum pressure as 400psi, does that not mean it would be ok until that limit??

Last edited:
no mains pressure is the same as before, if anytging the tds has gone down due to the water company mixing water from various sources to soften it, judging by dougs comments ive buggered the membrane ?

just looked at the specs though and it gives maximum pressure as 400psi, does that not mean it would be ok until that limit??
Live and learn. I would have thought 120psi would be okay but 80psi must be the optimum. Great info for the future if I ever move home. ?

Specs are okay but you will get water pressure that does that but flow rate going in is a lot higher. A typical booster pump when you hit that Pressure the flow rate reduces so at 120 psi your waste would be bear minimum.

Specs are okay but you will get water pressure that does that but flow rate going in is a lot higher. A typical booster pump when you hit that Pressure the flow rate reduces so at 120 psi your waste would be bear minimum.
Ah Right, just been looking at your website at the

SPECTRUM SRO-4040-2500-LE LOW ENERGY RO MEMBRANE​

Are these good? and whats the operating pressure of these so i dont bugger this one...wouldnt mind, got that axeon hf5 brand new for £150 :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
And can you do next day for me?

Your pressure is knackered don't blame reservoirs you could take it back to shop or email them but but a ñew one has have said its nackerd ?

Ah Right, just been looking at your website at the

SPECTRUM SRO-4040-2500-LE LOW ENERGY RO MEMBRANE​

Are these good? and whats the operating pressure of these so i dont bugger this one...wouldnt mind, got that axeon hf5 brand new for £150 :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
And can you do next day for me?
I need to take that off the website as there is problems with supply at the moment. Was it second hand the Axeon membrane at that price!

I need to take that off the website as there is problems with supply at the moment. Was it second hand the Axeon membrane at that price!
That was brand new, dropped lucky on an ebay auction a couple of years ago.. no worries, just picked up what i assume is just a cheap and cheerful spectrum WW-4040 for now to get me up and running again, not sure of the best operating pressure on this though so will ha e to find out before i bugger another one ?

That was brand new, dropped lucky on an ebay auction a couple of years ago.. no worries, just picked up what i assume is just a cheap and cheerful spectrum WW-4040 for now to get me up and running again, not sure of the best operating pressure on this though so will ha e to find out before i bugger another one ?
They are rated at 100 psi and do 1100 litres than the Axeon membrane so will be slower filling up.

You should have just phoned Doug first thing this morning and you'd have had exactly the membrane you need, rather than wasting your money longterm

You should have just phoned Doug first thing this morning and you'd have had exactly the membrane you need, rather than wasting your money longterm
whilst i get what your saying id rather put a cheap membrane in to be sure that it isnt something other than the excess pressure causing membrane failure. when im sure its all ok through the system ill get anothe axeon... not like its not tax deductible

Maybe you dropped unlucky and it was a copy you bought and that's the reason its not performing.

whilst i get what your saying id rather put a cheap membrane in to be sure that it isnt something other than the excess pressure causing membrane failure. when im sure its all ok through the system ill get anothe axeon... not like its not tax deductible
If you rang us I would have let you know we have a membrane at £200 that does more than the Spectrum one ?

Ah but Doug would have happily had a chat over the phone to talk you through potential issues and offer the best advice, you don't get that from an internet buy ?

i just bought the spectrum @ £179 to get going and was in stock at a company round the corner from me so got it within the hour, whilst i appreciate everything, even doug couldnt get me a membrane within the hour but applaud all your support of him ?

Back