Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

When to change resin?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Shane84

I have been using my di vessel to purify my water for window cleaning for quite a while and always check it with my TDS meter to ensure the reading was 0. Recently the TDS meter has began to read 1 on the purified water. Just wondering at what level should i change my resin to ensure good results with my wfp cleaning?? Also is there any way to get more life out of resin in my di vessel or should i change it straight away? Thanks ?

I have been using my di vessel to purify my water for window cleaning for quite a while and always check it with my TDS meter to ensure the reading was 0. Recently the TDS meter has began to read 1 on the purified water. Just wondering at what level should i change my resin to ensure good results with my wfp cleaning?? Also is there any way to get more life out of resin in my di vessel or should i change it straight away? Thanks ?
You can use it past zero if you wish. To be a purist and pure water window cleaner many will quote they won't use anything other than zero ppm. Go upto 5 or 8 and you won't see any difference on the glass unless you are in a high ppm hard water area. I've accidentally let an IBC full once with 6ppm and used it. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I change mine at 10, as an experiment I kept using it once to see how far you can push it. I was using it at 25 with no spots but didn't have the balls to continue pushing it. I used it on my own house and there were no spots regardless of sunlight etc 

I change mine as soon as I get a reading. As I'm double di I wouldn't benefit from letting it go up to 8ppm, as all I'm doing is just working the second vessel, reducing its lifespan.. 

Personally I change my resin as soon as it moves from zero TDS, the reason for this is that in my experience the water has more bite, more cleaning power, when it is pure and quickly loses this edge as the TDS rises. I value this cleaning power more than getting an extra few days out of my resin.

When it get to 005 I’ll change it at the weekend. 
I’ve used it at 015 accidentally for a day , and didn’t have any problems. 

Personally I change my resin as soon as it moves from zero TDS, the reason for this is that in my experience the water has more bite, more cleaning power, when it is pure and quickly loses this edge as the TDS rises. I value this cleaning power more than getting an extra few days out of my resin.
Not days, it’s months. My water, after R.O is around 009. After D.I, 000. However it doesn’t stay there for that long. It creeps up to 003 where it has been for around for 7 weeks.

This is a regular occurrence and I’m completely happy with the results.

Personally I think changing resin because it’s sneaked above 000 is throwing your money down the drain 

Personally I think changing resin because it’s sneaked above 000 is throwing your money down the drain 
It’s a window cleaning forum. 
People say they earn £500 a day- they probably don’t. 
 They ditch customers if they don’t pay within a day or dress a bit funny - they probably don’t. 
 They work in torrential rain , and/or gale force winds - they probably don’t. 
  They declare their cash earnings to the Tax man - they probably don’t .

I bet most don’t change their resin as soon as  it goes above zero either ?

When it get to 005 I’ll change it at the weekend. 
I’ve used it at 015 accidentally for a day , and didn’t have any problems. 
We generally leave the job when the windows are still wet, so we don't know for sure if we have left spots on the windows when they dry or not.

I was able to find tiny spots on our lounge windows in low level morning sun with the water at 5ppm. I very much doubt a customer would notice them, but that's not a chance I'm willing to take.

I process pure from my r/o through DI into my storage tank. I noticed that once the water leaving the DI was at 2ppm it shot up to 5ppm very quickly. So I do as other posters have said they do; I change resin as soon as it goes to 1ppm. I have an inline tds meter, so water purity is easy to monitor.

That's not my personal experience, I find it stays at zero for quite a while but when it starts to climb it does so fairly quickly. This may be due to different chemical composition in the water in different areas perhaps?
No idea. I have a built in TDS metre and keep an eye on things ?

Ive noticed that mine would stay at 2,3 and 4 for weeks into months, so I def wouldnt change it after it going to 1. It would have meant spending three or more times what I needed to. Talking in the past sense as buying it in now, and I believe they sell it up to 5.

Ive noticed that mine would stay at 2,3 and 4 for weeks into months, so I def wouldnt change it after it going to 1. It would have meant spending three or more times what I needed to. Talking in the past sense as buying it in now, and I believe they sell it up to 5.
I have found hours goes from 1-2 up to 5-8 very quickly within a few days so as soon as we get a reading I change it . Also find by doing this the water cleans better and faster as les impurities in it I know sum  won’t agree but that’s my findings 

Last edited by a moderator:
I have found hours goes from 1-2 up to 5-8 very quickly within a few days so as soon as we get a reading I change it . Also find by doing this the water cleans better and faster as les impurities in it I know sun won’t agree but that’s my findings 
I’ve been using my system for around 14 years since turning WFP and there’s no difference at all with mine ??

Back