Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Which oil for your pressure washer?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Ben23

Hi all

Been a while sine I was last here but thought I would pitch this question to you, Ive been having a bit of hassle with my pump and decided to change the oil, problem is I put the wrong stuff it (15w-40 but it has detergent) therefore you've probably guessed, it immediately turned white in the pump and ive had to drain it off again, the issue is that theres still some visible from the viewing window and its clearly white as hell, is it necessary for me to drain every last drop out of it before adding non detergent oil or will it be OK to fill with the correct oil with a small amount of the detergent oil remaining?

also I used the detergent oil in the engine too but that seems to be the right colour, will that be ok?

Cheers for any replies.

Ben  

Hi all

Been a while sine I was last here but thought I would pitch this question to you, Ive been having a bit of hassle with my pump and decided to change the oil, problem is I put the wrong stuff it (15w-40 but it has detergent) therefore you've probably guessed, it immediately turned white in the pump and ive had to drain it off again, the issue is that theres still some visible from the viewing window and its clearly white as hell, is it necessary for me to drain every last drop out of it before adding non detergent oil or will it be OK to fill with the correct oil with a small amount of the detergent oil remaining?

also I used the detergent oil in the engine too but that seems to be the right colour, will that be ok?

Cheers for any replies.

Ben  

Give Ben a ring at Rutland pumps he’s the best one tsk advise you on this you dint want to damage the seals on the pump 

I had to change my oil today.

Ignition coil had packed up so got a new one and fitted it this evening.

Fired it up and all was fine for about 4 seconds then the crank breather started spewing out oil and fuel mixed together and it died.

Hasn't been used for a couple of weeks and bolted down in my van so has been out in the cold etc.

I knew what it was as it could only be the float in the carb sticking due to not being used and having fuel in.

Had to unbolt it to tip the oil out and refill. 

Always something isn't there?

Give Ben a ring at Rutland pumps he’s the best one tsk advise you on this you dint want to damage the seals on the pump 
Just drain it all and refill with good stuff.

It's not gonna do any damage.

I had to change my oil today.

Ignition coil had packed up so got a new one and fitted it this evening.

Fired it up and all was fine for about 4 seconds then the crank breather started spewing out oil and fuel mixed together and it died.

Hasn't been used for a couple of weeks and bolted down in my van so has been out in the cold etc.

I knew what it was as it could only be the float in the carb sticking due to not being used and having fuel in.

Had to unbolt it to tip the oil out and refill. 

Always something isn't there?

Just drain it all and refill with good stuff.

It's not gonna do any damage.

As far as Ime aware if you use the wrong oil it can damage the seals in the pump I seam to remember Ben saying that when I bought my pressurecwasher off him but cannot remember exactly what he said about what you should and should not use .

Im pretty sure mine uses SAE-30. If in any doubt just use the same oil as you would for a lawn mower.its always a good idea to take a photo of the bottle when you first buy oil so you know what to buy in future. I serviced ours the other day as it goes. 

6392965E-85B6-45D3-BD37-B72AF64CD661.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I know gardeners that use cooking oil in all their Sthil tools and have never any bother 

Cheers for the replies, I contacted Ben at rutland who recommends 15w-40 semi synthetic, replaced oil and tested the machine this morning (in the pouring rain I might add!). oil has stayed the right colour at least ( a bit of frothing initially but has stayed relatively clear) ran the machine for a good half hour half cleaning my own neglected driveway in the process, neighbours all looking thrilled walking by at half nine on a sunday morning hahaha

anyway it would seem my seals are in tact at least and I can only put it down to using a mineral oil with detergent.......also thinking on it, the oil fill cap may not have been as firmly closed as it should have been when I rinsed the excess oil off the case.

Hopefully that 'll sort it but I have noticed also that the crank case for the pump seems to be getting pretty warm when in use, not something Ive really looked at before but as Ive been paying a lot of attention to the pump in general I have noticed it drys very quick in the rain and is noticably warm to the touch, not enough to burn you but obvious enough, anyone know if this is normal?

Cheers for the replies, I contacted Ben at rutland who recommends 15w-40 semi synthetic, replaced oil and tested the machine this morning (in the pouring rain I might add!). oil has stayed the right colour at least ( a bit of frothing initially but has stayed relatively clear) ran the machine for a good half hour half cleaning my own neglected driveway in the process, neighbours all looking thrilled walking by at half nine on a sunday morning hahaha

anyway it would seem my seals are in tact at least and I can only put it down to using a mineral oil with detergent.......also thinking on it, the oil fill cap may not have been as firmly closed as it should have been when I rinsed the excess oil off the case.

Hopefully that 'll sort it but I have noticed also that the crank case for the pump seems to be getting pretty warm when in use, not something Ive really looked at before but as Ive been paying a lot of attention to the pump in general I have noticed it drys very quick in the rain and is noticably warm to the touch, not enough to burn you but obvious enough, anyone know if this is normal?

Yes it’s normal for it to get quite hot  mine does  the same 

Cheers, just starting to get a few things that concern me now as the washers getting a few years on it, annoyingly theres only one place round here that services and repairs who are currently not taking work on so its either do it yourself or face a lengthy trip 

Back