Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Who’s liable?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

On another site it says he was pressure washing the roof, has broken both feet, chest plate and numerous ribs
Yep that’s the one he’s had a few operations so far. Not sure what he was doing but didn’t follow the best practice for safety. Another window cleaner told Me how he spoke with someone on site when it happened and said they thought he’d had it! In and out of consciousness. Lucky to be alive!

It's an interesting one as the home owner is contracting out the work not directly employing. A self employed person normally isn't actually covered by H&S legally. That said it's wise to follow their guidance.
As far as the home owner knowing if something is dangerous or not would be a fine line. They probably think climbing onto a flat rood to clean a window is safe, but if an employee where to have an accident then H&S would want to see risk assessments, fall arrestors, secure fixing points etc....

It's an interesting subject - and I think there are lots of iffs and buts. Overall always best to work as safely as possible and minimise risks.
I’ve since found out the home owners were on holidays when it happened so couldn’t judge if it was safe or not.

Latest Posts

Back