Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Working near overhead power lines - Exterior cleaners health & safety

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Here is a complete list of learning resources to better educate yourself when working near overhead power lines

There have been multiple recorded cases where window cleaners have made contact with overhead power lines and the outcome of these horrific events could of been mitigated

Below is a one stop shop of learning resources which can prevent another unnecessary tragic accident or death within our trade !

(LOOK OUT & LOOK UP)

1, https://www.spenergynetworks.co.uk/userfiles/file/GS6_4th_edition.pdf

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240520_073841_Samsung Notes.jpg
    Screenshot_20240520_073841_Samsung Notes.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240520_073625_Samsung Notes.jpg
    Screenshot_20240520_073625_Samsung Notes.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 0
Here is a complete list of learning resources to better educate yourself when working near overhead power lines

There have been multiple recorded cases where window cleaners have made contact with overhead power lines and the outcome of these horrific events could of been mitigated

Below is a one stop shop of learning resources which can prevent another unnecessary tragic accident or death within our trade !

(LOOK OUT & LOOK UP)

Did you mention you use insulated gloves? Which ones? :)

The other thing we all need to do/revisit is a RAMs document for these types of cleans where an element of greater risk is involved.
When we did our window cleaning NVQ, they said we needed to do a written RAMs document for each clean we do.

I appreciate that we do mentally access the risks of the job we turn up to. For example, if we have to run our hose across a width of common and the council lawn mowers are in the vicinity, then there is a risk they will cut our hose, so we leave it and pass on until the mowers have cut the grass.

A friend of ours works for the electricity board. Every 6 months they are given a new pair of insulated gloves and they have to dispose of the ones they are using.
He is in a supervisory role, so only uses gloves once every 'blue moon.' He gave me a pair that he had never used. I seem to remember they will protect to over 25,000 volts.

I put them on, but I couldn't grip my pole as the pole base just slipped in my fingers. So I never wore them.

Just to clarify, I made no mention of insulated HV gauntlets, as mentioned heavy duty thick rubber gloves are an insulator in the simplist form and will add another layer of protection to you whilst working

You can tell the people that own the power cables to shroud them, temporary insulate them, as you're working beside them
I did a farm house clean which involved roof, GFS & windows
I made contact with the then Western Power distribution 4 months before the job and requested line shrouds from the pole HV transformer within the rear of the garden and line connections to the gable end as the house had uninsulated bare twisted conductors and the garden transformer was 11kv

All done for me and totally free of charge

Call the number below if you have any upcoming work that requires some additional safety measures

National Grid 08000963080

(LOOK OUT & LOOK UP)

Thanks for this Austin it’s very interesting we have guidelines for fire fighting around pylons but the distances are much less but we also have to take into account smoke going up and acting as a conductor and water mist etc

Thanks for this Austin it’s very interesting we have guidelines for fire fighting around pylons but the distances are much less but we also have to take into account smoke going up and acting as a conductor and water mist etc
Yes I read somewhere that high volumes of water and normally at pressure can cause a crude electrical flash over as the mist creates a blanket conductor.

I wouldn't want to be fighting a fire with present power lines, I've got an Akron brass attack gun and know how much of a mist curtain that creates

Touching on a point made by @Pjj and a second to engage my brain!

⛔️ pressure washing at height ⛔

If using telescopic power poles for gable ends or roof cleaning you need to be especially vigilant when quoting and pricing up work as your high pressure water misting puts you at an increased risk of bridging the gap

You can tell the people that own the power cables to shroud them, temporary insulate them, as you're working beside them
That I believe can only be done by National powergrid we have asked for ours to be shrouded for ongoing work in the past for one year they'd just rock up and take them down when it suited them within 2 months,

Not sure if you can req them to be permanently shrouded.

The other thing we all need to do/revisit is a RAMs document for these types of cleans where an element of greater risk is involved.
When we did our window cleaning NVQ, they said we needed to do a written RAMs document for each clean we do.

I appreciate that we do mentally access the risks of the job we turn up to. For example, if we have to run our hose across a width of common and the council lawn mowers are in the vicinity, then there is a risk they will cut our hose, so we leave it and pass on until the mowers have cut the grass.
I've always got a folder of up to date risk assessments, COSHH & method statements as I do alot of work for local authorities and charities.
As painful as it is creating & revising it having it and working by it makes you work safer, smarter & hyper aware

Hi all.
Just been to a regular clean of mine and she asked about gutters. With all the latest news about power lines, I got myself a bit nervous with this side of the bungalow. I'm about 90% certain they are phone lines but there's an electric pole they come off 2 metres the other side of the window. These lines are lower down the pole and there's nothing from the top coming directly down to the property (think it goes straight down the pole and in through the ground).
As you can see the weeds are right in the wrong place.
This section is pretty much all eye level or short ladder so was thinking cleaning by hand a better option than vac given the cables present.
Opinions welcome - wires related.
Thanks
IMG_20240522_105403.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20240522_105409.jpg
    IMG_20240522_105409.jpg
    926.9 KB · Views: 0
I'm fairly sure they are phone lines - 1 goes to an open reach box (formerly BT) the other looks like an old phone line - they are upgrading to newer cable/fibre.
BUT I am not an expert and wouldn't want you to risk your life on my say so! To be safe don't do it!
Just spotted the other image with the pole. The top 3 are power lines and will be uninsulated so very dangerous.

Stay clear and stay safe.

I'm fairly sure they are phone lines - 1 goes to an open reach box (formerly BT) the other looks like an old phone line - they are upgrading to newer cable/fibre.
BUT I am not an expert and wouldn't want you to risk your life on my say so! To be safe don't do it!
Just spotted the other image with the pole. The top 3 are power lines and will be uninsulated so very dangerous.

Stay clear and stay safe.
Cheers Ched. I've been doing the window wfp for the last 6 months and haven't thought of them as anything other than phone lines but recent events caused me to take a moment. It was raining heavy this morning and gutter was flooded. Its low enough that end for me to peer over (I'm only a short ****).

Hi all.
Just been to a regular clean of mine and she asked about gutters. With all the latest news about power lines, I got myself a bit nervous with this side of the bungalow. I'm about 90% certain they are phone lines but there's an electric pole they come off 2 metres the other side of the window. These lines are lower down the pole and there's nothing from the top coming directly down to the property (think it goes straight down the pole and in through the ground).
As you can see the weeds are right in the wrong place.
This section is pretty much all eye level or short ladder so was thinking cleaning by hand a better option than vac given the cables present.
Opinions welcome - wires related.
Thanks
View attachment 30268
Standard comms lines. No risk or immediate dangers

Ive just done an end of tenancy clean on a flat

Directly outside the uppermost window and approximately 8 feet off the dorma are these 5 bare twisted wires which are high voltage and the pool on the corner of the road clearly displays 11kv

I wouldn't do any windows or gutters on this house

Just be mindful

Attachments

• 20240603_113405.jpg
    20240603_113405.jpg
    667.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240603_113559.jpg
    20240603_113559.jpg
    935.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240603_113528.jpg
    20240603_113528.jpg
    915.9 KB · Views: 0