Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Worst WFP day since I started! - NIGHTMARE!

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Suhrly

Hi everyone hope you's are all well.

Yesterday was by far the worst day I've had since I started WFP 4 years ago. I pulled up to my first job. Turned on the pump, reeled out to the first customer, tried to start the water....nothing. Thought the usual...it was a kink in the hose. No kink. Oh dear, I knew something then was wrong. Really wrong! My first thought was my van system had frozen somewhere along the line but I knew that wasn't the case as it hadn't been cold enough. Something made me look in the tank...

and then I saw it....about half an inch thick resin completely covering the bottom of my tank! ?

Needless to say that was the end of the day before it had even started. Went home trying to think where to even begin on how to fix this mess. 7 hours later. SEVEN HOURS LATER I finally got the tank somewhat clean of most of the resin. Draining the tank, using a Wet/Dry vac to mop up the best I can. Swilling the tank best I can. Baring in mind I have a Pure Freedom setup so the tank is a 800ltr baffled tank which is almost impossible to get right in there with a mop or something like that. I really wish they would make these things easier to clean for these type of emergency cleaning situations! I also used my ramps for my campervan to tilt the van to one side to make the water/resin run out the drain hole.

I decided in my wisdom to take the pump apart to see if I could clean it out. I took the bottom off which looked alright. Put that back together. Took the top off and springs went everywhere. Yep...I'm not getting that back together so I ordered a new one which came today so I fitted that without any problems.

Anyways...what had happened was I switched DI vessels to my spare, which had been sitting in my outhouse for months. Not realizing the distribution stick/nozzle had completely gone bad and the seal had also totally disintegrated and perished. Therefore allowing all the resin to seep into the tank! So please take care if you ever do the same thing. Every time you change resin take the time to inspect your distribution stick and seal!

The pump came today about 1pm so I refilled the tank I went out to work about 2pm just to test it out and so far so good. But like sand...you can generally NEVER get it all out. I'm sure there'll be lots a beads in the tank still floating about to waiting to pounce and block my pump up again ? BTW, I do have an inline strainer but it was completely overwhelmed by the sheer amount of resin coming through. I'm hoping that if there is some resin left in the tank, the strainer will catch it, cos I honestly don't think it takes that much to block up the pump. Fingers crossed.

Days like that make you appreciate the good days a LOT more! :p

Hi everyone hope you's are all well.

Yesterday was by far the worst day I've had since I started WFP 4 years ago. I pulled up to my first job. Turned on the pump, reeled out to the first customer, tried to start the water....nothing. Thought the usual...it was a kink in the hose. No kink. Oh dear, I knew something then was wrong. Really wrong! My first thought was my van system had frozen somewhere along the line but I knew that wasn't the case as it hadn't been cold enough. Something made me look in the tank...

and then I saw it....about half an inch thick resin completely covering the bottom of my tank! ?

Needless to say that was the end of the day before it had even started. Went home trying to think where to even begin on how to fix this mess. 7 hours later. SEVEN HOURS LATER I finally got the tank somewhat clean of most of the resin. Draining the tank, using a Wet/Dry vac to mop up the best I can. Swilling the tank best I can. Baring in mind I have a Pure Freedom setup so the tank is a 800ltr baffled tank which is almost impossible to get right in there with a mop or something like that. I really wish they would make these things easier to clean for these type of emergency cleaning situations! I also used my ramps for my campervan to tilt the van to one side to make the water/resin run out the drain hole.

I decided in my wisdom to take the pump apart to see if I could clean it out. I took the bottom off which looked alright. Put that back together. Took the top off and springs went everywhere. Yep...I'm not getting that back together so I ordered a new one which came today so I fitted that without any problems.

Anyways...what had happened was I switched DI vessels to my spare, which had been sitting in my outhouse for months. Not realizing the distribution stick/nozzle had completely gone bad and the seal had also totally disintegrated and perished. Therefore allowing all the resin to seep into the tank! So please take care if you ever do the same thing. Every time you change resin take the time to inspect your distribution stick and seal!

The pump came today about 1pm so I refilled the tank I went out to work about 2pm just to test it out and so far so good. But like sand...you can generally NEVER get it all out. I'm sure there'll be lots a beads in the tank still floating about to waiting to pounce and block my pump up again ? BTW, I do have an inline strainer but it was completely overwhelmed by the sheer amount of resin coming through. I'm hoping that if there is some resin left in the tank, the strainer will catch it, cos I honestly don't think it takes that much to block up the pump. Fingers crossed.

Days like that make you appreciate the good days a LOT more! :p
Sorry about your day. Do you have a filter before the pump? That will stop anything getting inside the pump and damaging it.

Sorry about your day. Do you have a filter before the pump? That will stop anything getting inside the pump and damaging it.

Thanks Spruce. Yeah I have an inline filter right before the pump. It was the first thing I checked when I realized what had happened. It was covered in resin. I think some resin beads are small enough to get through the mesh.

Thanks Spruce. Yeah I have an inline filter right before the pump. It was the first thing I checked when I realized what had happened. It was covered in resin. I think some resin beads are small enough to get through the mesh.
Anything that will pass through that mesh will go through the pump without issue , so you should be ok with that . Now you have got the worst of it out of the tank hopefully it won’t clog up the filter just keep an eye on it and clean it as nessasary

Anything that will pass through that mesh will go through the pump without issue , so you should be ok with that . Now you have got the worst of it out of the tank hopefully it won’t clog up the filter just keep an eye on it and clean it as nessasary

Thanks @Pjj yeah I'm gonna check and look into the tank every day for the foreseeable (y)

Back