Before posting a new topic please use the search feature. Duplicate posts may be removed or merged with others.

Start new topic

adamangler

D.I.Y Electric hose reel conversion for less than £50

adamangler

Ok, so i just chucked it together today for a test.

Will sort it properly over crimbo

[media]

[/media]

CHWS
Ok, so i just chucked it together today for a test.

Will sort it properly over crimbo

[media]

[/media]

Why didn't you make this a couple of months ago for me lol

Dave B
Over Christmas I am working on a new reel design which should finally be the ultimate electric hose reel for window cleaning. ;)

If it works mate i will have one :rock:

It will be the best about from what i know

Dave B
I'm not sure how seriously you can take this guy as he then puts up a couple of rather 'silly' videos.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjZcwtzGTjs[/media]

His attempt at cleaning quickly just doesn't look professional and he caps that off by cleaning just the window of the back door but not the whole door.

Looking from about 7.15 on wards you see a rather botched display of the reel winding in the hose which isn't working very well.

Its kind of put me off thinking about this tbh.

That guy is a joker cleaning like that

No method to it just randomly slapping the brush about

I can clean as quick or quicker than that with actually scrubbing the glass properly and then rinsing

It's all about getting the technique right and being methodical about it

I wouldn't trust him to clean any of my customers

spruce
That guy is a joker cleaning like that

No method to it just randomly slapping the brush about

I can clean as quick or quicker than that with actually scrubbing the glass properly and then rinsing

It's all about getting the technique right and being methodical about it

I wouldn't trust him to clean any of my customers

It a pity he put these few 'silly' videos up IMHO. To his credit his DIY electric hose reel has inspired a lot of enthusiasm among other avid DIYers to build their own systems.

I think it sad that he now sullies his reputation by sticking these videos up. How can someone take him seriously? If I was his customer I'd cancel his services. If I was the owner of that sports car parked in the covered parking he nearly hit with his pole when he turned around, I would also have a 'fit'.

What I did find interesting is the issue he had when reeling in the hose at the end of this video. The motor just didn't seem to have the power to do to without him giving it a helping hand. Kind of put this into perspective. Would it be saving me having to wind the hose in or would I need to spend that energy elsewhere?

The jury is out on that one for me. We will await the long term reports of these DIY efforts.

Dr Von Samstein

Looks amazing, fancy making one of those myself. Is it 24v? Looks like you only have one battery to me. Or is that the reduced speed using it on 12v? Or am I completely crazy

spruce
Looks amazing, fancy making one of those myself. Is it 24v? Looks like you only have one battery to me. Or is that the reduced speed using it on 12v? Or am I completely crazy

The motor is 24v used on a 12 volt battery.

The originator of this thread on another forum said that he initially connected the motor up to a 24 volt supply (2 x 12v batteries) but the motor ran too fast. Using 12v slowed the speed of the motor down, but it will also reduce the motor's torque as well.

The motor is rated at 300 watts although there are some rated at 350 watts that look identical. The plate on it says that its current draw is 14 amps. According to electrical maths formula at 24v volts a 300 watt motor will draw 12.5 amps and a 350 watt motor will draw 14.6 amps.

I don't know how reducing the voltage to 12v changes the current draw (watts) of the same 24v motor. Waterworks appears to use the same motor. If you look at their videos that show the reels working in the van, they have some fairly heavy duty electrical stuff in there.

My personal opinion is that we have a motor which works but not properly. This is evident to me at the end of the poster's 'silly' video. The motor stalled trying to reel the hose in from the side.

Just a thought. A step up 12v to 24 volt convertor and then a 24v electronic speed controller will keep the torque but regulate the speed.

adamangler

What spruce is saying may well be correct regarding it doesn't have enough torque at 12v I don't know because I've not tried it out properly yet.

Hopefully once a few people start having a go a good solution will come out eventually

Green Pro Clean Ltd
The originator of this thread on another forum said that he initially connected the motor up to a 24 volt supply (2 x 12v batteries) but the motor ran too fast. Using 12v slowed the speed of the motor down, but it will also reduce the motor's torque as well.

I am gonna stick to my of the shelf reels but outa interest @spruce would say a 'dimmer' switch set up on 2 x 12 volt resolve the speed issue? Snails pace or balls out?

adamangler

Well yes you need a speed controller a "dimmer" I's the same principle as is the car heater controller it just modify the voltage to to control speed of a motor.

I use one of these as a flow controller for my pump

12V-40V 10A Pulse Width Modulator PWM DC Motor Speed Control Switch 13KHz Hot | eBay

So 2x12 v battery wired up with a 24v regulator would do the trick that's if it needs 24v I. not sure it does.

I'm not sure how voltage affects torque though or whether these motors have enough torque even at 24v

spruce
What spruce is saying may well be correct regarding it doesn't have enough torque at 12v I don't know because I've not tried it out properly yet.

Hopefully once a few people start having a go a good solution will come out eventually

I found this which is rather helpful.

AmpFlow Pancake Motors

It relates to the footnote against the asterix relating to voltage

This torque calculator tells us that at 350 watt motor turning at 3500 RPM has a torque of 0.0159 newton meters. So at 50% of the torque at 12v means its torque is now 0.00795.

Horsepower to Torque Calculator, Formula

Unfortunately that means diddly squat to me.:D

However, if I put in 0.47 hp into the formula then it tells me we have 0.705 ftlb -ft of torque. Halve that for 12v.

spruce
cheers @spruce thats interesting so at 12v the RPM and Torque is halved roughly.

What we don't know is what happens with the current draw using that 24v motor on 12v current. Electrical formula says the amps will increase x 2 but I don't know if that formula applies in this instance.

adamangler

So would the extra amperage require thicker cables or potentially damage the motor? i suppose only time would tell, you have to bear in mind these motors would only be typically used for what 20 seconds or so a dozen times a day? i mean the motors will burn out eventually anyway, i use cheap chinese pumps ran direct to ti 12v with no controller (other than a voltage regulator) and they typically last 6 months a piece but at 12 quid or so a go im not really bothered

I suppose you could just a 24v supply and have done with it

crystal vision
His technique is laughable I would be surprised if the windows came very well at all .

Blokes a knob jockey truelly a dum ass get so fed up with people like this needs some serious training

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

luca
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEOH1Q6KUns[/media]

In this video he just gives our industry a bad name. He doesn't clean most windows, which includes frames and sills, properly.

He's tried to get more than his 15 minutes of fame.

This can only be to try and impress other window cleaners?! Which he's failing at terribly... Why the fuck do it?! Surely every time we do a film or take a photo it's to highlight the great service we provide.. there ain't many customers that are gonna watch that and think 'oh great let's pay this guy loads of money to to a quick half hearted job' what's wrong with people?! Lol

peter rogers
This can only be to try and impress other window cleaners?! Which he's failing at terribly... Why the **** do it?! Surely every time we do a film or take a photo it's to highlight the great service we provide.. there ain't many customers that are gonna watch that and think 'oh great let's pay this guy loads of money to to a quick half hearted job' what's wrong with people?! Lol

jesus hes rough

id sack one my guys if n bout with the pole extended and tried to clean that fast]

spruce

Excellent. I'm glad you asked the question. In hindsight I should have advised that you needed a chain splitter like we used to use as kids rather than just put a link up to one. Sorry.

best
Excellent. I'm glad you asked the question. In hindsight I should have advised that you needed a chain splitter like we used to use as kids rather than just put a link up to one. Sorry.

It's a learning curve for us all.

Luke Barnard

Just finished mine....test it out on Monday:p

20170224_151817.jpg.9a7960d86bed36fa1a54b9d15b07b223.jpg

20170224_151828.jpg.7a5164cc1f8392f38a86e1b2eb6b2f99.jpg