Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

help needed for float switch wiring

WCF

Help Support WCF:

jaystray

Hi, again I call on the vast knowledge and xp of this forum. I am trying to wire a side mounted float switch to a 12v auto shut off solenoid (normally closed) I have a live and neutral from the power source and 2 wires coming from the switch itself. I have tried every combination of wiring I can think of to no avail. the solenoid is new and so are all wires. any advice muchly appreciated.

This should be how it’s wired. Don’t rule out the solenoid  being broken just because it’s new!!!

View attachment 17146

Agreed.

What voltage is the solenoid valve @jaystray? What is your power source?

It should be pretty easy to work out if there is a fault with the solenoid valve. Just connect one of the terminals on the solenoid to positive and the other to negative from your power source. The best way to check is via a multimeter. (I believe a multimeter is as important for a windie as a TDS meter is.)

Most of these float switches sold are 12v. If you've put 230v through it then you have fried your solenoid. If your solenoid valve is 230v then 12v won't activate it.

hi thanks for the reply. it is a 12v power source and power is getting to the solenoid. when unplugged the water pump is off and once plugged in the water flow but switch not stopping the flow.

Screenshot_20190720-114133_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Have you mounted the float switch low enough for it to activate? Have you bench tested it first? What’s your water pressure? If your water pressure is too high it may not let the solenoid close fully. Like spruce said a multimeter is pretty essential if you have a diy set up

Hi, apologies for slow reply and I can happily report that the set up is now set up and working great. appreciate all the advice and diagrams which helped no end. I found the issue was the float sensor which obviously was the last thing I replaced. anyway all good now thanks...

Here a multimeter would come in handy as well, use the "beeper" and hook it up to the switch to see if it activates.

I also like to build my systems with some LEDs in place of the solenoid at first, as it's much easier to check if the wiring works properly.

Latest Posts

Back