Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

At what point small claims court?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Chris33

I have had repeated issue with a supplier. This has led to several faults, potentially 5 or 6 min separate repairs on the part within a year. Each time it takes weeks to repair and I am 100% unable to use the part until fixed 

Anyway my question is, has anyone went down the small claim route business to business for similar and what were your experiences? I understand the law is slightly difference but as a sole trader I am viewed as an individual rather than a business to an extent. 

I have all reported issues backed up by email and am becoming very disheartened by a lack of communication on their part and the timelessness to repair what seems to be an ongoing issue. 

I'm not a Solicitor so this is only my thoughts on the matter, when you buy something it has to be fit for purpose. If it is constantly failing then it isn't, as far as I know your only recourse is a full replacement or your money back. I don't think you have a case for lost revenue. 

If they don't offer you a new replacement part or your money back then you have a legal case but only for the cost, possibly time spent as well. 

I'm not a Solicitor so this is only my thoughts on the matter, when you buy something it has to be fit for purpose. If it is constantly failing then it isn't, as far as I know your only recourse is a full replacement or your money back. I don't think you have a case for lost revenue. 

If they don't offer you a new replacement part or your money back then you have a legal case but only for the cost, possibly time spent as well. 
This is what I am thinking mate. I have lost income due to the slower daily progress this has caused but I ain't claiming for anything like this. 

The only reason I am thinking court is I cant see them giving me cash back and wanted to explore other options should it come to that. 

Last edited by a moderator:
This is what I am thinking mate. I have lost income due to the slower daily progress this has caused but I ain't claiming for anything like this. 

The only reason I am thinking court is I cant see them giving me cash back and wanted to explore other options should it come to that. 

Name and shame time 

It’s just a thought, but you can get 15 minutes free with a solicitor, could that help you? You don’t seem to be getting sorted with the supplier. 

It’s just a thought, but you can get 15 minutes free with a solicitor, could that help you? You don’t seem to be getting sorted with the supplier. 
Yup that would be of immense help Jango. So do you think any solicitor would offer this 15 mins free? 

How did you pay for it? If you bought it on a credit card and it cost over £100 contact your card provider. You have a very good chance of getting your money back. 

How did you pay for it? If you bought it on a credit card and it cost over £100 contact your card provider. You have a very good chance of getting your money back. 
Distance seller regulation act? That point has been passed to come into affect I think. Sure its only a few months that covers me for Stevie

.The Distance Selling Regulations no longer apply in UK law. The Consumer Contracts Regulations - which came into force in the UK in June 2014 - now apply when buying online.

I've also had a problem with a supplier recently , moving of a static system. 

All went fine. They were ment to bring a bag of resin and 2 ro filters with them but didn't. Almost 2 weeks later and I still don't have the resin, or filters changed. Should be Monday now. Ordered a bag of resin from another supplier which was also a day late! Iost 2 days work and had to buy a second bag of resin. They offer me a 10% discount on my next order. After I asked what they were doing about it. 

Every other dealing with them has been great but I'm very disappointed at the moment and out of pocket by 2 days work. ?

So glad i’m double d.i. only Dont have a system to maintain, no r.o.s pumps batteries tanks or whatever else you van system guys have to deal with. 

If in the extremely unlikely event both backpacks packed in on the same day our suppliers is an hours drive away (even though its only about 10 miles) and we could survive tradding to an extent. Still have worries like but less worries than most i imagine. I often wonder why we didnt stick to trad window cleaning from the start the expenses would definitely be lower, but now that most of our houses have veluxes extensions connys and loft extensions we couldnt really make a switch to trad as the rounds are predominantly wfp. And the size of some of these rounds what we do in a day might take two or 3 days trad

Back