Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Waterproof footwear

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Rickadoo

Hi Guys, struggling to find a pair of waterproof footwear that are waterproof. Last two pairs of waterproof footwear I’ve bought (both Goretex but different brands) have had to go back after their first rainy workday. Been using a popular brand for years, but they’ve changed the fit of them my big toe is cramped within them. Wondering what everyone uses. Can’t stand having wet toes all day. 

I got a pair called 'Grafters' from Amazon for £35, told the mrs if they was gash id send em back and get cats or something good, tbh the grafters are real good, deep tread, waterproof and comfy af, padded all round the ankle and tongue so really comfy while being great support.

My only gripe is the laces are about 1/2mile longer than they need to be 

I have been using, No Risk Armstrong boots for the last 10 or so years. I work in all weathers apart from absolutely heavy, persistent rain and I find them to be very waterproof. I rate them ten out of ten. I put a bit of waterproof dubbin on them once or twice a year and I get at least two years out of a pair.

Ps, when worn with cotton - rich socks I don't tend to get particularly sweaty or smelly feet. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Sealskinz water proof socks.  Alot of boots claim they are waterproof but most don’t last long before they start leaking. Since I started using these socks I’ve never had wet feet. I do also use a pair of Adidas terex boots and a pair of north face walking shoes for when the weathers a little kinder. 

Any good leather boots are waterproof, as long as you apply polish or beeswax to them, but dont take it off, it blocks any pores and stitch holes where water can ingress. Goretex lined are waterproof, and will last years, only issue is that if water gets in from either running down your leg or going into deep enough water they are completely submerged they take forever to dry. Again, you also have to use polish or beeswax to help keep them waterproof. 

Any good leather boots are waterproof, as long as you apply polish or beeswax to them, but dont take it off, it blocks any pores and stitch holes where water can ingress. Goretex lined are waterproof, and will last years, only issue is that if water gets in from either running down your leg or going into deep enough water they are completely submerged they take forever to dry. Again, you also have to use polish or beeswax to help keep them waterproof. 
I would either do mine with dubbing or beeswax they all leaked and were a pain to look after, the amount of water we can come into contact with walking over wet lawns and working in the rain, almost 20 years in this game and only now Iv'e found the commonsense to wear ankle wellies. 

The ones I posted above are easily put on or taken off and look totally fine when wearing work trousers or waterproofs, I have different footwear in the van so can change in minutes if the weather improves or worsens. overtime it's become a p.i.a to be drying boots out and maintain them so I don't have wet leather boots and as we go into winter cold feet as well. 

I've just brought a new pair of boots, waterproof trousers and treated myself to some decent socks. Talked to the guy in the shop and he suggested I spray the boots with a waterproofing spray every 2 weeks which only cost £5. He said because of the industry (window cleaning) and getting them wet alot you need to top up the waterproofing of them. See how we go! 

I've just brought a new pair of boots, waterproof trousers and treated myself to some decent socks. Talked to the guy in the shop and he suggested I spray the boots with a waterproofing spray every 2 weeks which only cost £5. He said because of the industry (window cleaning) and getting them wet alot you need to top up the waterproofing of them. See how we go! 

Leather is better, more comfortable and healthier for your feet than rubber. Dubbin (grease) is cheaper and longer lasting than spray. What I suggest is leather for everyday use. I don't tend to get wet boots unless it's raining. Perhaps have wellies in the van for when it's really wet. I worked for years on cross country pipelines and know from experience it's better not to wear wellies all the time. 

Just my opinion lads. ?

DeWalt Waterproof Steel Toe Cap boots I use, there're leather. Grip well on ladders/ most surfaces (not great on wet decking), never leak. Think they were seventy quid out of Screwfix. Don't buy the Nubuck version they get dirty too quick and look shabby. Black is the best colour.

Lowa renegade GTX. had lots of different boots over the years including merrells but had these 8 months and they're brilliant. never leaked in- even walking through 3/4 inch puddles. very light and comfy and breathable, really thick leather and well made. tad pricey though but we'll worth it if you're on your feet all day in the rain. 

Any good leather boots are waterproof

Yup.. I'll go with that.

A good brand is Bata. They don't do a great range of boots now however the good ones they do make are sheer brilliance. I have two pairs of Rapid reaction boots made by them - one is covered in paint etc from DIY and the other has been my daily pair since 2013. Scuffed a bit now but still water proof and i don't really look after them terribly well. I've certainly never used any of that stuff on them that you mention.

Lowa renegade GTX. had lots of different boots over the years including merrells but had these 8 months and they're brilliant. never leaked in- even walking through 3/4 inch puddles. very light and comfy and breathable, really thick leather and well made. tad pricey though but we'll worth it if you're on your feet all day in the rain. 
Lowa or altberg are cracking makes of boots, but do cost a bomb

Thanks for your suggestions gents. Those ankle wellies look like they’d do the job. Wonder what they’d look like with shorts. 
I wear mine with shorts at times, but I do think I look like a clip, so I just wear them on the quiet estates were no one is around, the ones I linked before can be heavy as I had the full length camo wellies for walking the dog and was glad when they wore out and split after about 3 years. 

Yup.. I'll go with that.

A good brand is Bata. They don't do a great range of boots now however the good ones they do make are sheer brilliance. I have two pairs of Rapid reaction boots made by them - one is covered in paint etc from DIY and the other has been my daily pair since 2013. Scuffed a bit now but still water proof and i don't really look after them terribly well. I've certainly never used any of that stuff on them that you mention.
Dubbin is only a couple of quid a tin from the workwear shop.

I warm it very slightly, put some newspaper on my lap, put my hand inside a small sandwich bag to keep it clean, and massage the dubbin well into the leather (it's very like Vasaline and I can't say whether Vasaline might be just as good) and all the stitching and joins. I only do it a few times a year but it really keeps them in good condition. My boots have cork insoles built in that will also mould to the shape of my feet but I use nice thick, off the shelf insoles, in them as well. 

With all that, I have warm, dry comfortable feet and I probably add another half inch to my five foot seven frame as well. ? 

Latest Posts

Back