Jump to content







Before posting a new topic please use the search feature. Duplicate posts may be removed or merged with others.

Start new topic
Nick1000

Starting a window cleaning business. HELP!

Recommended Posts

Nick1000

Hi all, looking for some advice please. Recently sold my graphic design business and have a reasonable amount of money to start a new venture. I intend in investing in a van and a water fed pole system although I have no previous experience of window cleaning. I have no round and intend on starting from scratch which I understand is not ideal however I am competant in social media management and am not scared of a 12 hour day and intend on doing a huge leaflet drop (10,000) in a targetted area to attract work. I have watched all the YouTube videos and researched all the companies that sell the pole van set up. I am leaning towards X-Line systems that offer what seems a decent system 350ltr with one hose. Any thoughts or advice please? Many thanks Nick 

Share this post


Link to post
Bwfc

Dont go for x line.

Window Cleaning warehouse seem good or DIY best way to go if u are that way inclined

Share this post


Link to post
maxbruffell

I think there is nothing wrong with building your own round, in fact I think if you have the drive and time it’s a way better way to do it. You can build and price it the way you want that way. A lot of rounds that get sold seem to be underpriced so you won’t have to deal with that!

Share this post


Link to post
DJT

Do your research, set your price structure and decide on payment terms. Stick to it. Don't take on **** work just for work sake. 

 

Also, I would head out with a cleaner for 1 or 2 days to see if you actually like it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Part Timer

Personally think 350l is to small, never used xline but heard plenty of bad reports. If it's just a factory fitted delivery unit I'd be looking at a 500l Pure Freedom system.

Share this post


Link to post
maxbruffell

I tend to agree, I’m currently on a 350l system and regularly do a 12 property day on it with some left over but am planning on going bigger so I don’t have the worry at the last couple of houses and would like to expand my days quite a bit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Haychh
10 hours ago, Nick1000 said:

Hi all, looking for some advice please. Recently sold my graphic design business and have a reasonable amount of money to start a new venture. I intend in investing in a van and a water fed pole system although I have no previous experience of window cleaning. I have no round and intend on starting from scratch which I understand is not ideal however I am competant in social media management and am not scared of a 12 hour day and intend on doing a huge leaflet drop (10,000) in a targetted area to attract work. I have watched all the YouTube videos and researched all the companies that sell the pole van set up. I am leaning towards X-Line systems that offer what seems a decent system 350ltr with one hose. Any thoughts or advice please? Many thanks Nick 


Fit the system in yourself so any problems u have u know what the problem is, where if u have a problem with an Xline system any problems u wont bne bale to fix it u will rely on them which is the last thing u want,

Also like u say u plan to drop 10,000 leaflets.... is that over the full year or in the month ? or week ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Iron Giant

*Spanner in the works alert* I can can do 25-30 houses with 350ltrs of water and still have water left in the tank some days it's less due to the size of the properties, first thing anyone needs is customers no point parting with 7k plus on a van and system without customers, but as you are in Preston I agree with @Part Timer go to http://purefreedom.co.uk you also need to produce pure water 

Share this post


Link to post
Part Timer
5 minutes ago, Iron Giant said:

*Spanner in the works alert* I can can do 25-30 houses with 350ltrs of water and still have water left in the tank some days it's less due to the size of the properties, first thing anyone needs is customers no point parting with 7k plus on a van and system without customers, but as you are in Preston I agree with @Part Timer go to http://purefreedom.co.uk you also need to produce pure water 

You are established and experienced using WFP . The OP isn't and will be washing walls and spending three or four times as long as you on a window.

Share this post


Link to post
Nick1000
37 minutes ago, Part Timer said:

You are established and experienced using WFP . The OP isn't and will be washing walls and spending three or four times as long as you on a window.

 

11 hours ago, Bwfc said:

Dont go for x line.

Window Cleaning warehouse seem good or DIY best way to go if u are that way inclined

X Line reaaly does get mixed reviews doesn't it...

10 hours ago, Part Timer said:

Personally think 350l is to small, never used xline but heard plenty of bad reports. If it's just a factory fitted delivery unit I'd be looking at a 500l Pure Freedom system.

Good advice, thanks. So 500l seems a better option for start up?

10 hours ago, maxbruffell said:

I tend to agree, I’m currently on a 350l system and regularly do a 12 property day on it with some left over but am planning on going bigger so I don’t have the worry at the last couple of houses and would like to expand my days quite a bit. 

Leanig towards 500l, thakyou

Share this post


Link to post
Nick1000
1 hour ago, Haychh said:


Fit the system in yourself so any problems u have u know what the problem is, where if u have a problem with an Xline system any problems u wont bne bale to fix it u will rely on them which is the last thing u want,

Also like u say u plan to drop 10,000 leaflets.... is that over the full year or in the month ? or week ? 

I'm not the best technically with these sort of things so wanted a unit ready to work. 10,000 takes me 8 days targetting car parks in retail parks. Hard graft and loads of grief but done those sort of numbers in old business and gets your name out I guess

Share this post


Link to post
Haychh
2 hours ago, Nick1000 said:

I'm not the best technically with these sort of things so wanted a unit ready to work. 10,000 takes me 8 days targetting car parks in retail parks. Hard graft and loads of grief but done those sort of numbers in old business and gets your name out I guess


But say for example u buy the system and something goes wrong with it how are u going to sort it out if your not the best technically ? This is why I suggest u setup a DIY system its very easy honestly, and if u have any problems u can identify the problem, once u put the system in yourself u get to know everything, if u buy a system ready made u will not know what it what.

Also your planning on leafletting a car park putting the leaflets on the windscreens ? 😮 

Share this post


Link to post
DeLaCruz

Agree you can build a round - i recently done that, fwiw in the first 2 months i only made 900£ total due to my poor technique and lack of customers. Be ready to have living costs set aside for these times.Most of the money i have made this year has been re invested in the business it simportant to find kit that suits you. Its only now after nearly a year i am hitting £1500+ every month and i expect that to rise once it stops bucking down with rain and is longer days.

Share this post


Link to post
Part Timer
21 minutes ago, Haychh said:

But say for example u buy the system and something goes wrong with it how are u going to sort it out if your not the best technically ? This is why I suggest u setup a DIY system its very easy honestly, and if u have any problems u can identify the problem, once u put the system in yourself u get to know everything, if u buy a system ready made u will not know what it what.

What can really go wrong? In my experience a factory fitted system is air tight, wired up correctly etc etc If all this fails just ask @spruce and he'll sort it out 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Haychh
11 minutes ago, Part Timer said:

What can really go wrong? In my experience a factory fitted system is air tight, wired up correctly etc etc If all this fails just ask @spruce and he'll sort it out 😁


lol but it helps when u fit the system yourself you know every littke part and groove in your system which helps a lot, if theres a problem u can identify the problem straight away i guess, and true @spruce lives within 10 miles from me lol

Share this post


Link to post
Baldmonkey
17 hours ago, Nick1000 said:

Hi all, looking for some advice please. Recently sold my graphic design business and have a reasonable amount of money to start a new venture. I intend in investing in a van and a water fed pole system although I have no previous experience of window cleaning. I have no round and intend on starting from scratch which I understand is not ideal however I am competant in social media management and am not scared of a 12 hour day and intend on doing a huge leaflet drop (10,000) in a targetted area to attract work. I have watched all the YouTube videos and researched all the companies that sell the pole van set up. I am leaning towards X-Line systems that offer what seems a decent system 350ltr with one hose. Any thoughts or advice please? Many thanks Nick 

I built my van 6 months ago and I'm only down the road in Wigan, feel free to message me and I'd be happy to talk you through all the basics and show you my setup, here to help 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Iron Giant
9 hours ago, Part Timer said:

You are established and experienced using WFP . The OP isn't and will be washing walls and spending three or four times as long as you on a window.


Yes, I know good Sir Rich, but the op ain't got no jobs and it could take him some time to build his round up, obviously I don't work as hard as some 8.45 start and finished by 4pm but, I am lean, mean window cleaning machine 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Part Timer
24 minutes ago, Iron Giant said:


Yes, I know good Sir Rich, but the op ain't got no jobs and it could take him some time to build his round up, obviously I don't work as hard as some 8.45 start and finished by 4pm but, I am lean, mean window cleaning machine 😀

I'm assuming he will get work and continue being a windy, I couldn't make 350l last a day, especially doing 30 houses. Do you go round catching the drips and putting them back in. Joking aside I doubt a 500l tank will cost that much more and it covers him for when he does get more work. We have an 800l tank in but don't brim it if we only need 500l's

Share this post


Link to post
Nick1000
39 minutes ago, Part Timer said:

I'm assuming he will get work and continue being a windy, I couldn't make 350l last a day, especially doing 30 houses. Do you go round catching the drips and putting them back in. Joking aside I doubt a 500l tank will cost that much more and it covers him for when he does get more work. We have an 800l tank in but don't brim it if we only need 500l's

Great advice. 500l tank it is, thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Iron Giant
1 hour ago, Part Timer said:

I'm assuming he will get work and continue being a windy, I couldn't make 350l last a day, especially doing 30 houses. Do you go round catching the drips and putting them back in. Joking aside I doubt a 500l tank will cost that much more and it covers him for when he does get more work. We have an 800l tank in but don't brim it if we only need 500l's


Catch them in my mouth, then run back to the van and straight in the tank 😅

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.