Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

72mm inlet is it worth it

WCF

Help Support WCF:

kevinc250

as the title suggests is the 72mm inlet better than the 51mm inlet?, this is on a gutter vac by the way i'm just wondering why its benificial to have a third bigger inlet when the hose is a third smaller if you get my drift?, can anyone explain this to me, julia @GVS Julia Martinmaybe you could explain this to me in plain english or technichal i don't mind both if you could?,

as the title suggests is the 72mm inlet better than the 51mm inlet?, this is on a gutter vac by the way i'm just wondering why its benificial to have a third bigger inlet when the hose is a third smaller if you get my drift?, can anyone explain this to me, julia @GVS Julia Martinmaybe you could explain this to me in plain english or technichal i don't mind both if you could?,
No problem Kevin I’m more than happy to advise. 

The larger diameter allows for less blockages which can compact at the point of the inlet.  This is one of the reasons that we have evolved with our systems to allow you to clear faster. 

Initially 38mm front entries, we moved our systems on to 51mm cyclonics back in 2019 and now we have upgraded all our cyclonic systems to 72mm. It is also more robust and durable than the plastic inlet with swivel connection which can wear on the threads when not maintained. 

I hope this is helpful, Julia 

No problem Kevin I’m more than happy to advise. 

The larger diameter allows for less blockages which can compact at the point of the inlet.  This is one of the reasons that we have evolved with our systems to allow you to clear faster. 

Initially 38mm front entries, we moved our systems on to 51mm cyclonics back in 2019 and now we have upgraded all our cyclonic systems to 72mm. It is also more robust and durable than the plastic inlet with swivel connection which can wear on the threads when not maintained. 

I hope this is helpful, Julia 
julia, that was a quick reponse and, thank you for that, one question if i may?, does the 72 inlet allow the motors to breathe better or is it just a bigger inlet thing, i'm trying to get my head around the fact a blockage will ocurr anywhere in the hose not just at the inlet i'm on a 51mm hose and cyclonic inlet by the way and just trying to why if this is a usefull upgrade

regards kevin

julia, that was a quick reponse and, thank you for that, one question if i may?, does the 72 inlet allow the motors to breathe better or is it just a bigger inlet thing, i'm trying to get my head around the fact a blockage will ocurr anywhere in the hose not just at the inlet i'm on a 51mm hose and cyclonic inlet by the way and just trying to why if this is a usefull upgrade

regards kevin
There is a huge difference in airflow between a 38mm front entry to a 51mm cyclonic, that’s the biggest comparison regarding suction performance. The difference between a 51mm and 72mm in airflow therefore wouldn’t be so large in a comparative manner where against a 38mm the 72mm undoubtedly wins.

With a 51mm hose we didn’t want to bottleneck down in the connection. So the coupling sits within the 51mm internal diameter hose and then that coupling sits within the 72mm inlet. Yes it allows for the blockage reduction but the connection mechanism is what makes the inlet diameter itself different. 

The durability of the 72mm inlet will provide a better longevity over the plastic 51mm. 

Kindest, Julia 

There is a huge difference in airflow between a 38mm front entry to a 51mm cyclonic, that’s the biggest comparison regarding suction performance. The difference between a 51mm and 72mm in airflow therefore wouldn’t be so large in a comparative manner where against a 38mm the 72mm undoubtedly wins.

With a 51mm hose we didn’t want to bottleneck down in the connection. So the coupling sits within the 51mm internal diameter hose and then that coupling sits within the 72mm inlet. Yes it allows for the blockage reduction but the connection mechanism is what makes the inlet diameter itself different. 

The durability of the 72mm inlet will provide a better longevity over the plastic 51mm. 

Kindest, Julia 
I've done, literally, 10 of 1000's of metre's and never had a blockage at the inlet of 51mm side entry so I'm struggling to see how this will benefit me. 

I've done, literally, 10 of 1000's of metre's and never had a blockage at the inlet of 51mm side entry so I'm struggling to see how this will benefit me. 
The bigger the inlet into the drum the less likelihood of a build up of dirt there potentially causing a blockage , but like you I have never had a blockage on a side entry inlet in over 15 years . 

this is what i'm trying to get my head round @part timer, and bless julia is trying hard to explain it to me but i still don't see the usp on the 72mm port maybe i,m totally wrong i don't know, ok i get 38mm to 51mm is an improvement but a bigger port with a  51mm hose from what i can see is that you are no better off.

this is what i'm trying to get my head round @part timer, and bless julia is trying hard to explain it to me but i still don't see the usp on the 72mm port maybe i,m totally wrong i don't know, ok i get 38mm to 51mm is an improvement but a bigger port with a  51mm hose from what i can see is that you are no better off.
The 72mm inlet is required for the size of the coupling itself which sits inside the 51mm hose.  If you had a 51mm and wanted to go for the 72mm you’d be doing so for it’s durability not for an increased benefit persay. The slight reduction in blockages is there, our customers who have had the 51mm and gone onto the 72mm have noticed a marginal difference but it wouldn’t be as “wow” as it would be from moving from a 38mm to a 51mm or 72mm because the poles and hose are all internally 51mm still. 

The 72mm inlet is required for the size of the coupling itself which sits inside the 51mm hose.  If you had a 51mm and wanted to go for the 72mm you’d be doing so for it’s durability not for an increased benefit persay. The slight reduction in blockages is there, our customers who have had the 51mm and gone onto the 72mm have noticed a marginal difference but it wouldn’t be as “wow” as it would be from moving from a 38mm to a 51mm or 72mm because the poles and hose are all internally 51mm still. 
aaahhh, thank you julia for clearing that up, as i see it now you are no better off going to the larger fitting other than durability, it was just one of those questions i wanted the answer to and, we finally got there, so,so, much to learn about these gutter vacuums its no wonder i am grey.

aaahhh, thank you julia for clearing that up, as i see it now you are no better off going to the larger fitting other than durability, it was just one of those questions i wanted the answer to and, we finally got there, so,so, much to learn about these gutter vacuums its no wonder i am grey.
No problem at all, is it a current machine you have that you’re looking to adapt to a cyclonic? I’m more than happy to advise if you need help in connections etc.

We reopen tomorrow from 10am following our festive break so if you’d like a chat at some point in the week, feel free to call us on 01603 905501, if I’m not available, Mark or one of the team will be happy to help in any way ?

Bigger inlet means greater suction as the bore diameter is greater causing less flow turbulence 

Latest Posts

Back