Advertising - Basic Rules

Discussion in 'Advertising Offline/Online & Canvassing' started by vito61, May 23, 2012.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. vito61

vito61 Well-Known Member

Hi All.

I've had a couple of positive comments regarding a flyer that I put together for myself that I had forwarded to others. It only took a short time for me to put together, but I have worked (in another life it seems) in marketing and advertising.

There are some very basic points to remember when putting any sort of advert/flyer together. It can be summed up with the acronym AIDA.
    A = attention
    I = interest
    D= desire
    A = action

Attention means the headline that they will see first to get them to read on. eg "Window Cleaner Available Now!". It is NOT your name, not at this point in advert. Don't be tempted to see your name in print, thats vanity, it doesn't sell.

Interest. Sell your pitch a bit. What you can do for them, special offers, your USP (unique selling point), why you are the best for them. Not a life story.

Desire. Say something that will make them want to call. I've used the phrase "Clean windows make brighter homes!". Fully accept it's not brilliant but hopefully you get the idea. It could be something that is applicable to your area.

Action. This is where you tell them to call you or contact you somehow. Your phone number. I personally recommend a landline number, if you have one. I think it shows you are steady, stable, solidly based. Anyone can get a mobile number, some sim cards are given away free! Your address would also demonstrate a solid case for them.

It is said "a picture paints a thousand words". However it does have to be a good clear picture, related to your presentation.

There is also an expression in newspaper advertising that "white space sells". Notice that when I type this I have split it into paragraphs. It makes it easier to read. Don't feel you have to fill the whole available space with text.

This is just a quick few points you may find useful when putting something together for yourself.

Just another thing -PROOF READ and SPELLCHECK!! You only have one chance to make a first impression.

Advertisement
  2. Dodger

Dodger Hero

Good Good post Vito, following basically the same principals of web design etc you've got to grab a persons attention or it will probably go straight in the bin without being read.

Bit of rep for that one I think, I'm gonna do that more often as I don't think it's done enough.

3. Paul

Paul Guest

Very good post mate, would it be possible to see something you have designed as you say a picture paints a thousand words :p

4. All Round Cleaning

All Round Cleaning Grand Master

The flyer you sent me vito is the one im using at the moment i will let you know how i get on with it as time will tell .
    But at the moment i have gotten all my jobs from knocking . I have put out around 200 so far as a rough estimate .

5. vito61

vito61 Well-Known Member

As requested. Freely admit not perfect.

Attached Files:

6. Paul

Paul Guest

Do you print them yourself vito? What paper do you put them on ?

7. vito61

vito61 Well-Known Member

I printed off on basic computer printer and sliced up with a guillotine I bought from Lidl!!

8. Belfastcleaning

Belfastcleaning Grand Master

Great post vito. Cheers

9. Richard

Richard Forum Addict

Excessive marketing and advertising for a sole trader window cleaner isn’t needed. You also shouldn’t be thinking about marketing until you have answered all your questions on pricing what you are marketing for.

If you want £4,000 a month divide that by the number of days you will work each month i.e. 16 = £250 and divide that by the number of customers you aim to service each day – 14 divide £250 by 14 and your average customer price is £17.85.

Now you know you need 224 (£17.85 x 224) customers a month with an averaging price of £17.85, now all you have to do is some homework then go and target your potential customers within a set timeframe (speak to them in person – sales)

A good wfp sole trader window cleaner can walk over small companies with much higher overheads, premises and staffing cost.

Richard

(£17.85 as an average is low)

10. vito61

vito61 Well-Known Member

Good reasoning and thinking.

I think, maybe, the figures used were for ease of illustration. £1000 per 4 day week would be marvelous!! Especially as a sole trader..

Advertisement