Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Advice appreciated for starting a new window cleaning business

I personally would never offer a free clean.

In the early days we purchased a trad, mainly dormer round from glass cleaners and converted it to WFP. We had to tell the customers on our first day out that they only needed to pay us when they were happy with the job. Yorkshire folk aren't very trusting at the best of times. I know, I'm married to one. Here's a foreigner offering a process they had no knowledge of and never seen before. We got paid for every job we did when we pitched up the following morning. I was actually rather depressed on the way to the round on that second morning, but even I was gobsmacked at how good and clean those windows and frames were in the early morning sun. News spread very quickly on the estate and we had no problems from then on with the system.

These days virtually everyone knows wfp. If we do a new clean we don't even discuss our cleaning method. I've only ever had one say they didn't want me using a pole. I thanked them for their enquiry, wished them a good day and walked away. I had no plans of falling from my ladder at their house.
10 years ago it was new on residential work up here and yes you spent a while selling it anyway you could, especially as a newbie. However nowadays everyone knows the system so I personally wouldn't entertain faffing around with "doubters" nowadays.

Yes, I used to allow customers to tell me how to run my company but I finally let my last toxic customer know who's boss. Seen a job today, moneypit house and it's costing them dearly. Didn't hang about, gave them a realistic price and off I went to see another job. Got the second job at fair price and great feeling when customer appreciates what you are cleaning for them. They have just moved in and I am saving them a few days if they were to do it themselves. 

I dont mention how i clean but some say they want trad, personally i trad maybe 2 windows as easier to get in small gap (bushes) than wfp.

But i do believe you could increase a round size faster offering it (as well as wfp), not interested in saying which is better just business advice for the fella as he might need every customer asap.

Why do you bother? You're very very busy yet will offer someone a free clean to get a customer that doesn't like the method? I'm nowhere near as busy and wouldn't entertain offering a free wash.
I rarely do it now but did it to prove a point especially in the early days if wfp when people were more sceptical about it, it worked every time always got paid 

do the free clean people spend some time weighing up the customer's personality first? I can imagine some would take advantage and make out you'd left some imaginary smear.

Back