Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Am I too expensive ? Part 2 continued.

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Green Pro Clean Ltd

So this is a continuation of another members thread where they were wondering if they were too expensive.

As I said on that thread I am probably the most expensive window cleaner in Nottinghamshire if not the Midlands at present. This wasn't by accident nor did I plan it that way.

Many window cleaners earn 'good money' but 'good' needs to be quantified.

You can go one off two routes and these are:

Route 1: Stack em high, sell em cheap -- Build a massive customer base of low priced work and churn it out by the ton so you earn good money simply based on the number of low priced jobs you do.

This is where we were around 3-4 years ago, we were doing typical 3 bed council semis at £8 each or £10 with a conservatory and between Ben and I we were cranking 30 in a day on ladders. Not a bad earner but believe me we worked for our money. Problem was one or two bad days of weather and you really were in a hole and getting pushed behind with a fair chance of having to write a few off each month.

Route 2: A fair price for a fair job and a quality service. I have now gotten rid of the stack em high customers and have changed tack completely.

A big issue I found with many of them is they had the mentality of 'oh it's only £8' but how that translated was 'What's the window cleaner in a huff about? I didn't leave the gate open cause I didn't want them doing this month and he's got the huff. It's only £8' Cause to them it is less than the cost of a pack of B&H but they don't realise you had put that time aside for them, to clean their windows, cause their £8 combined with the other 29 customers will make it a good day for you. They don't understand that you are better off to drop them and replace them with a customer that is guaranteed regular.

Now my prices are much higher, my schedule a lot more flexible and work ethic increased 10 fold. (I have always had pride in my work but eventually you get to a point ((especially on under priced jobs)) where you are thinking 'what do they want for £8')

Now for those that do not know I sold my entire round about six weeks back, started targeting a totally different area with a very different approach.

The methodology is simple, customers want clean windows and usually clean frames and doors to go with. Customers are willing to pay for that, rather than £8 for 'washed' windows they will pay premium to ensure their windows are clean.

They will also happily pay a premium for a first clean (in some cases I am charging 2.5x the regular clean for a first clean depending on condition) if you explain to them 'Not a problem Julie, as you can see they haven't been done in some time so they will need a proper deep cleaning first to get those frames bright again and get all those spider nests and grime and I see some paint flecks that will need a scrape off and of course that takes longer so your first clean will be £XX' Of course you should be pointing out the scuff mark on the door and the likes and this is all topped into the first clean price.

Customers, ones whom truly want a service will pay a premium for you to bring new life back to their tired frames.

I also changed the frequency from 'Monthly, Bi-Monthly and Quarterly' to '4 weekly, 8 weekly and one off'

Now any professional window cleaner knows the only matter that determines how often a window needs cleaning is it's location and the immediate environment around it. Some of our seaside lads will need to do the windows a lot more frequently than those in a mild country village with no traffic.

Also I have gone the sign written, van signed etc route and lot of new customers comment on how nice it is to see a professional set up so they know who they are dealing with. Do the customers know the signage was bought on ebay or the logo t-shirts I get done at the local market? Probably not but if it makes them feel more secure then happy days.

They have also started coming to me because their current window cleaner will not do the frames which the customer wants or insists on a rigid monthly schedule which many find too much these days.

This is the main feedback I have gotten in the past 4 weeks.

Professional, appearance, attitude quality.

Love the text reminder service to leave the gate open or for reschedule updates cause of weather.

Love online payment by BACS or GoCardless so you don't need to disturb their supper time.

Like the flexibility of 4 weekly or 8 weekly (no difference to monthly or bi-monthly but it is psychological as 4 week sounds longer than 1 Month in their subconscious)

I have even had new customers coming to me saying they like the 8 week schedule as their current window cleaner insists on monthly or nothing. I charge £18 for example for an 8 weekly their previous cleaner was charging £12 for a monthly but wouldn't be flexible so lost the account. Now I can do this job and still have time to squeeze another 8 weekly in as I am doing half the frequency so I am actually on 2 individual cleans during an 8 week period taking £36 compared to Mr 'Monthly only' at £24 so I am £12 better off for the same amount of effort.

Some 60% of my new work is on an 8 weekly schedule as when I am quoting I say 'look, why not go on the 8 weekly round and if you find that is not enough then change to 4 weekly and have them done more often' They love this as to them you are not pushing for a more frequent commitment and you come across as relaxed and confident in your ability to be able to keep them clean with an 8 weekly service.

In just under 6 weeks I have established just over £2k per month in new business with this approach and it is growing daily. It will get to a point where I will cap the days jobs so that I can ensure every job gets adequate time to be done perfectly (after all the customer is paying for clean windows, not just partly clean) and the books will be closed.

Below in the picture is a good example, this is a 2 bed terrace in an area that is known for Yuppies, the 'in crowd' the up and comers, the bought it all on finance to impress friends and neighbors. You get the sort of area I mean.

View attachment 8224

3 years ago I used to do this house for £8.00 per month. It generated £96 per year in income for me. I resented it as being a terrace it was 'round the back down the alley, kick wheelie bins out the way etc' and I just want to bodge it and scarper.

The house has been sold and new folks have called me in again and today I do this house at £20 every 8 weeks generating £160 per year in income.

Some time ago I did a costing of how much each job cost to do 'vehicle, tools, insurance, wages, etc etc' and it came to around £3.20 at the time. so this house was costing me £38.40 every 12 months to clean so in reality I was making £57.60 per year or £4.80 per clean on this property.

Now my costs have actually reduced slightly as I have no staff now but we will use the same example of £3.20 but I am only cleaning 6 times a year so costs are £19.20 so that's now a profit of £140.80 pence per year. So I am £83.20 better off per year for doing half as much work.

I am not writing this to brag or show off, I was fortunate to find myself in a position where I could try this experiment and see and it works. I have always believed it should be about quality and not quantity and the proof is out there.

This is middle England, we are not the richest, nor are we the poorest but we do represent a good cross section so I don't see why this approach can not work anywhere. It is time to drag our industry out of the dark ages and start getting fairly recompensed for our efforts.

I know this is not the only way but this is my way and this is whats working and as long as I continue to close 75-80% of all quotes I will be happy with it.

So in summary, 'Am I too expensive?' No!

It is you and you alone that will push the prices down in an effort to gain more work and be competitive but I truly believe that there are plenty of clients out there that want a guaranteed quality of service and will pay premium prices willing to get it.

Another example is I was due to do a clean today and the customer text back 'Sorry Darren, family issues, can't do Thursday, is Friday OK?'

Did I have a wobbler? Nope, this is a woman that is paying £28 every 8 weeks for a job I would have used to billed at £10 per clean.

My reply, was 'Very sorry, fully booked Friday, I can however fit you in Monday morning if that works'

Her, 'That's great, Monday will be fine, sorry once again for messing you about Darren'

Me, 'No problem at all'

And really it isn't, I am down her way Monday anyhow, I could have done Friday but I have a theory that if I let them choose as and when as opposed to telling them as and when then it could become a regular thing so by me dictating when I can do it they respect my time a little bit more.

Any how, that's more than enough waffle for now.

Last edited by a moderator:
So this is a continuation of another members thread where they were wondering if they were too expensive.
As I said on that thread I am probably the most expensive window cleaner in Nottinghamshire if not the Midlands at present. This wasn't by accident nor did I plan it that way.

Route 1: Stack em high, sell em cheap -- Build a massive customer base of low priced work and churn it out by the ton so you earn good money simply based on the number of low priced jobs you do.

This is where we were around 3-4 years ago, we were doing typical 3 bed council semis at £8 each or £10 with a conservatory and between Ben and I we were cranking 30 in a day on ladders. Not a bad earner but believe me we worked for our money. Problem was one or two bad days of weather and you really were in a hole and getting pushed behind with a fair chance of having to write a few off each month.

Route 2: A fair price for a fair job and a quality service. I have now gotten rid of the stack em high customers and have changed tack completely.

A big issue I found with many of them is they had the mentality of 'oh it's only £8' but how that translated was 'What's the window cleaner in a huff about? I didn't leave the gate open cause I didn't want them doing this month and he's got the huff. It's only £8' Cause to them it is less than the cost of a pack of B&H but they don't realise you had put that time aside for them, to clean their windows, cause their £8 combined with the other 29 customers will make it a good day for you. They don't understand that you are better off to drop them and replace them with a customer that is guaranteed regular.

Now my prices are much higher, my schedule a lot more flexible and work ethic increased 10 fold. (I have always had pride in my work but eventually you get to a point ((especially on under priced jobs)) where you are thinking 'what do they want for £8')

Now for those that do not know I sold my entire round about six weeks back, started targeting a totally different area with a very different approach.

The methodology is simple, customers want clean windows and usually clean frames and doors to go with. Customers are willing to pay for that, rather than £8 for 'washed' windows they will pay premium to ensure their windows are clean.

They will also happily pay a premium for a first clean (in some cases I am charging 2.5x the regular clean for a first clean depending on condition) if you explain to them 'Not a problem Julie, as you can see they haven't been done in some time so they will need a proper deep cleaning first to get those frames bright again and get all those spider nests and grime and I see some paint flecks that will need a scrape off and of course that takes longer so your first clean will be £XX' Of course you should be pointing out the scuff mark on the door and the likes and this is all topped into the first clean price.

Customers, ones whom truly want a service will pay a premium for you to bring new life back to their tired frames.

I also changed the frequency from 'Monthly, Bi-Monthly and Quarterly' to '4 weekly, 8 weekly and one off'

Now any professional window cleaner knows the only matter that determines how often a window needs cleaning is it's location and the immediate environment around it. Some of our seaside lads will need to do the windows a lot more frequently than those in a mild country village with no traffic.

Also I have gone the sign written, van signed etc route and lot of new customers comment on how nice it is to see a professional set up so they know who they are dealing with. Do the customers know the signage was bought on ebay or the logo t-shirts I get done at the local market? Probably not but if it makes them feel more secure then happy days.

They have also started coming to me because their current window cleaner will not do the frames which the customer wants or insists on a rigid monthly schedule which many find too much these days.

Love the text reminder service to leave the gate open or for reschedule updates cause of weather.

Love online payment by BACS or GoCardless so you don't need to disturb their supper time.

Like the flexibility of 4 weekly or 8 weekly (no difference to monthly or bi-monthly but it is psychological as 4 week sounds longer than 1 Month in their subconscious)

I have even had new customers coming to me saying they like the 8 week schedule as their current window cleaner insists on monthly or nothing. I charge £18 for example for an 8 weekly their previous cleaner was charging £12 for a monthly but wouldn't be flexible so lost the account. Now I can do this job and still have time to squeeze another 8 weekly in as I am doing half the frequency so I am actually on 2 individual cleans during an 8 week period taking £36 compared to Mr 'Monthly only' at £24 so I am £12 better off for the same amount of effort.

Some 60% of my new work is on an 8 weekly schedule as when I am quoting I say 'look, why not go on the 8 weekly round and if you find that is not enough then change to 4 weekly and have them done more often' They love this as to them you are not pushing for a more frequent commitment and you come across as relaxed and confident in your ability to be able to keep them clean with an 8 weekly service.

In just under 6 weeks I have established just over £2k per month in new business with this approach and it is growing daily. It will get to a point where I will cap the days jobs so that I can ensure every job gets adequate time to be done perfectly (after all the customer is paying for clean windows, not just partly clean) and the books will be closed.

Below in the picture is a good example, this is a 2 bed terrace in an area that is known for Yuppies, the 'in crowd' the up and comers, the bought it all on finance to impress friends and neighbors. You get the sort of area I mean.

View attachment 11598

3 years ago I used to do this house for £8.00 per month. It generated £96 per year in income for me. I resented it as being a terrace it was 'round the back down the alley, kick wheelie bins out the way etc' and I just want to bodge it and scarper.

The house has been sold and new folks have called me in again and today I do this house at £20 every 8 weeks generating £160 per year in income.

Some time ago I did a costing of how much each job cost to do 'vehicle, tools, insurance, wages, etc etc' and it came to around £3.20 at the time. so this house was costing me £38.40 every 12 months to clean so in reality I was making £57.60 per year or £4.80 per clean on this property.

Now my costs have actually reduced slightly as I have no staff now but we will use the same example of £3.20 but I am only cleaning 6 times a year so costs are £19.20 so that's now a profit of £140.80 pence per year. So I am £83.20 better off per year for doing half as much work.

I am not writing this to brag or show off, I was fortunate to find myself in a position where I could try this experiment and see and it works. I have always believed it should be about quality and not quantity and the proof is out there.

This is middle England, we are not the richest, nor are we the poorest but we do represent a good cross section so I don't see why this approach can not work anywhere. It is time to drag our industry out of the dark ages and start getting fairly recompensed for our efforts.

I know this is not the only way but this is my way and this is whats working and as long as I continue to close 75-80% of all quotes I will be happy with it.

It is you and you alone that will push the prices down in an effort to gain more work and be competitive but I truly believe that there are plenty of clients out there that want a guaranteed quality of service and will pay premium prices willing to get it.

Another example is I was due to do a clean today and the customer text back 'Sorry Darren, family issues, can't do Thursday, is Friday OK?'

Did I have a wobbler? Nope, this is a woman that is paying £28 every 8 weeks for a job I would have used to billed at £10 per clean.

My reply, was 'Very sorry, fully booked Friday, I can however fit you in Monday morning if that works'

Her, 'That's great, Monday will be fine, sorry once again for messing you about Darren'

Me, 'No problem at all'

And really it isn't, I am down her way Monday anyhow, I could have done Friday but I have a theory that if I let them choose as and when as opposed to telling them as and when then it could become a regular thing so by me dictating when I can do it they respect my time a little bit more.

Great post. When I get goin this is the kinda service I would like to b offering

Sounds like us, we text, give weather updates etc, we have smart clothing and polo shirts, pretty much all of our customers pay BACs etc etc

We are also on the upper side on prices, not as high as yours though, I would say £12-£15 is usual.

If that's where the yuppies live, I'd hate to see the rougher roads!

You're right though. Charge more for 8 weekly, it doesn't really take much longer monthly but better hourly rate.

No mate. This is where the young pretenders live. We have streets 100 times worse than this and 100 times better. But this is the wannabee hood. That house sold for £195k. Theres food for thought.
@Diwrnach is the wife working with you yet?
She is indeed, though we have found a bit of a problem, 6 weeks holidays now means I am going to be working like a dog while she has 6 weeks at home with the kids......

I find pricing a psychological battle, what I mean is if I am not strict with myself I find myself offering a price I think the customer will accept rather than what I know the job is worth, We have all been there I'm sure! I find I must give myself a talking to before pricing a job or canvasing.

Enjoyed reading your post Green, food for thought.

No mate. This is where the young pretenders live. We have streets 100 times worse than this and 100 times better. But this is the wannabee hood. That house sold for £195k. Theres food for thought.
@Diwrnach is the wife working with you yet?
Should also add customers LOVE the fact its a married couple cleaning their windows/drive/gutters or whatever, especially the women.

My evening text is "Matt & Emma your window cleaners" etc and the response is fantastic.

I work exactly like green pro, got into the eight week cycle by accident but have a good 95% of customers on that. New customers are automatically put on eight weeks unless they insist on four. As for pricing I keep putting mine up and up if they tell me. There previous windy charged a tenner I say well I'm going to be more expensive than that, explain the job I will do then quote £20 and usually get it. Where not just window cleaners we are trades men providing a service and should price accordingly.

View attachment 11598

Me, 'No problem at all'

Very good post.

What baffles me is how do you get 2k of new work in 6 weeks?

I've not managed that in nearly 2 years. I've advertised on facebook, website, leafleted, canvassed, had 4 canvassers up here tried the lot yet still struggle for some reason there just not seem to be the demand or maybe it's just saturated with windys I don't know.

Seriously considering moving area tbh

Very good post.
What baffles me is how do you get 2k of new work in 6 weeks?

I've not managed that in nearly 2 years. I've advertised on facebook, website, leafleted, canvassed, had 4 canvassers up here tried the lot yet still struggle for some reason there just not seem to be the demand or maybe it's just saturated with windys I don't know.

Seriously considering moving area tbh
IMO Wakey just dont cut the mustard. Fir someone that works as hard as you do you should be a lot more ahead by this stage.

Perhaps time to look for a new town.

i agree you have to find your market and then Cane it hard . you should find your market by end of year 2 on average. where you fit-in so to speak

i was a typical windie who made the classic mistake and was trying to do it all -for too long - a bit of the low end, some middle,some of the very posh. but by doing that you lose your focus because you cannot be MR EVERYTHING. i thought long as i was busy who cares where the jobs are . the classic mistake

it pays to step back and have a weekend of thinking it over "what is it i Really like doing in this job?....who most appreciates my style of working?" .this year starting in jan iv been dropping anything that doesnt fit in with me me Me I TELL YOU,started first with all the 3 storey work,then the posh jobs went. iv been drumming up fresh work at the low end to fill the gaps but refusing anything else. i cant tell you how great it feels to do this

if its low end you revel in ,well go do that Only. if its middle england "mr department manager" then focus on finding his houses . top end homes,well go do that and craft an all singing all dancing act that he likes . ditch the rest cos theyll only slow down your efforts to get where you want to be.

i personally hav always liked the low end stuff,cleaning on the big council estates. so iv crafted my act with employees who dress like me in cheapjack trackies who can be a bit moody/shouty so we dont get treated like sh/t and it works for me.

Last edited:
i agree you have to find your market and then Cane it hard . you should find your market by end of year 2 on average. where you fit-in so to speaki was a typical windie who made the classic mistake and was trying to do it all -for too long - a bit of the low end, some middle,some of the very posh. but by doing that you lose your focus because you cannot be MR EVERYTHING. i thought long as i was busy who cares where the jobs are . the classic mistake

it pays to step back and have a weekend of thinking it over "what is it i Really like doing in this job?....who most appreciates my style of working?" .this year starting in jan iv been dropping anything that doesnt fit in with me me Me I TELL YOU,started first with all the 3 storey work,then the posh jobs went. iv been drumming up fresh work at the low end to fill the gaps but refusing anything else. i cant tell you how great it feels to do this

if its low end you revel in ,well go do that Only. if its middle england "mr department manager" then focus on finding his houses . top end homes,well go do that and craft an all singing all dancing act that he likes . ditch the rest cos theyll only slow down your efforts to get where you want to be.

i personally hav always liked the low end stuff,cleaning on the big council estates. so iv crafted my act with employees who dress like me in cheapjack trackies who can be a bit moody/shouty so we dont get treated like sh/t and it works for me.
This is how Iam and exactly the same work I focus on, loads of customers on big council estates ... Works great for me

This is how Iam and exactly the same work I focus on, loads of customers on big council estates ... Works great for me
I've taken a leaf out of boarcitys book but in a different direction. I mainly clean large detached properties in the hayes/petts wood area (expensive) and enjoy doing them. I've sold off nearly a weeks worth of work to another window cleaner, nearly all of those houses were 3-4 bed semis, or some terraced stuff that were easier to do trad because of access.

I now have a round that's 99% wfp, no insides, no specific days required, no ar5eholes, the whole round compact.

Boarcity is bang on what he says if you are overloaded with work. A thorough spring clean of your round feels good and will be more fruitful in the long run

I don't do what any of you lot do. I just give a quote to anyone who asks except council houses and do em if accepted. A window is a window. Having said that over 50% of mine is commercial. Love em

What a great post. Thanks for sharing that information Green. I think that takes alot of guts to just decied your gona sell your whole round and start again doing things differently. Just starting my third year recently and i would recommend to anyone that is just starting out to just go and cut your teeth so to speak. Spread out loads of seeds and see which ones grow. And then when you have loads of different work you'll get an idea of what work you like doing and can act accordingly thereafter. Now i'm slighly further up the ladder i realise that i like working in the more middle class or wealther estates as i think i get less hassle from these peeps. And they really to appriciate a proper job. That said i can't stand the idea of seeing them every 4 weeks atm but will definately consider that way of pricing in the future. Though just to be pandantic i think you made a mistake with calulation on the 160 per year example as it's 6 times a year at 8weeks equaling £120 but i get your point with final earnings after cost with van, tools,ect. I love tinkering with my business, gear, van, round to get a better result or more effectiveness so i cant wait until i have a full round and can then start shuffling stuff around more

I think that takes alot of guts to just decied your gona sell your whole round and start again doing things differently.
It wasn't that big a gamble for me as I have been able to put away some savings and also the money from the sale of the round helps.

The key reason I sold up was to focus on other areas as we offer a fair few services, we do commercial kitchen deep cleans, commercial extraction canopy cleans with TR19 certification, I am SmartSeal™ accredited for driveways and patios and also the only authorized BioWash™ agent in Nottinghamshire (roof cleaning)

We also do decking restoration as well as Softwashing, Conny cleans, Gutter cleans & repairs of all types of stuff.

Doing a course soon on repairing dents, dings and cracks in window frames.

You would be amazed at how many people would pay you £250 (plus material cost) to paint the garden fence and shed so they don't have to. /emoticons/smile.png

Ironically you do not need loads of fancy gear to get into it (although my Soft Washer is beautiful)

The window work is just work that keeps coming and coming and well I am never one to turn away a profitable job that's got the potential to have more stuff come off it.

If you took 60 seconds to look around at each job you are on I am sure you would see at least two more things you could do for the client.

I follow @Eviestevie posts quite religiously. For example he just posted a Tarmac drive clean and recolor (a service I also offer) and from that one he's picked up I think three more drives just on the one cul de sac, that will go a good way to the next vacation, and from those they will refer him, no doubt he will offer to seal their sandstone patios whilst at it etc etc.

The work is right under your nose all day long, all you need do is get up the nerves to ask for it.

I keep a presentation folder in my van with before and afters of all my services, quotation sheets etc, second I see something needing doing out it comes, 'let me just show you this one I did last week Mr Brown' 30% are no or to expensive, 20% simply aren't interested but the rest all want to have their homes looking the sharpest.

It is no longer 'Keeping up with the Jones' now they want to be the Jonses and i'm happy to be the Jonses 'go to guy' for all their exterior property needs. /emoticons/smile.png)

Back