Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

2/4/6/8

WCF

Help Support WCF:

callumBPM

Hi I’ve been cleaning for a couple of years in North Somerset (Bristol suburbs) . Most of the cleaners in my area for domestic are on either 6 or 8 weekly . I have ties to Newcastle and have seen work for sale that is fortnightly ? Are people really having their glass polished every other week up there ?

Thanks Callum

Hi I’ve been cleaning for a couple of years in North Somerset (Bristol suburbs) . Most of the cleaners in my area for domestic are on either 6 or 8 weekly . I have ties to Newcastle and have seen work for sale that is fortnightly ? Are people really having their glass polished every other week up there ?

Thanks Callum
Yes traditionally

I have friends in Blyth and Morpeth they have theirs done every two weeks by a couple of guys trad . Prices are very low I wouldn’t want to do a 4 bed house with a decent size conservatory for £8.50 and to be fair they do a decent ish job .

Up here it used to be every 2 weeks Trad and it was as cheap as chips. We have moved on and it's either monthly or bi-monthly now due to the old Trad guys retiring and no one wants to take it over.

Must be popular in the north. I'm south coast of England and most of my work is 6 weekly (mostly pole but some traditional), but my Dad lives in Scotland and his is every 2 weeks (traditional). My Dad's is a large-ish bungalow and I'd charge about £15-£18 here, but he pays £8.50 I think (but the windy isn't very thorough with the frames and I don't know how much tax he's paying either ?).

I have friends in Blyth and Morpeth they have theirs done every two weeks by a couple of guys trad . Prices are very low I wouldn’t want to do a 4 bed house with a decent size conservatory for £8.50 and to be fair they do a decent ish job .
I was undercut last week by a wfp lad doing a 4-bed detached house for £10.00 every 4 weeks and £15 every 8 weeks

On another estate a wfp lad was pushing every 2 weeks no idea on his prices though

thanks for the reply part timer, i dont mean to sound ignorant but could you help me gain a bit more of an understanding? i started with a tin bucket and cant imagine turning up once a fortnight.
I assume because of heavy industry and coal fires the air was heavily polluted and the windows got dirty quickly.
Nowadays this isn't the case but the tradition has continued

I'm fairly near PartTimer and Iron Giant and Spruce is round the corner and agree with their sentiment, only had 2 fortnightly ones next to each other and all the rest monthly then 6 weekly as expanded.

The old 2 weekly expectation still exists-

I picked up a job last week
that was a nephew of someone I was cleaning and he asked for it monthly and I said I don't offer monthly, so he said fortnightly? And I shook my head and before I had chance to say 5/6 weekly he said well our lass wouldn't pay for it weekly! I said no no it's 6 weekly and he breathed sigh of relief and said that's spot on. I said your uncle hasn't been cleaned since August Bank Holiday week so you can see weather and life events get in the way.

As an aside his other aunty was with us and said her trad lad does her 3 bed semi for £3. Was £2 until recently! ?

I have had ones move down from up north asking for 2 weekly cleans , I tell them we do 4 weekly that should be fine let me know if you want it more often so far none have
I had one asking to change to a 2 weekly clean but I stuck with the monthly clean. Put it up a pound to £7 and he cancelled but the wife had left just before. It was a hard clean and I was hoping he would cancel. ?
Someone was feeding the birds and the windows were always covered and that's why he wanted every two weeks, think the feeder has moved away and we are back to normal now.

I'm fairly near PartTimer and Iron Giant and Spruce is round the corner and agree with their sentiment, only had 2 fortnightly ones next to each other and all the rest monthly then 6 weekly as expanded.

The old 2 weekly expectation still exists-

I picked up a job last week
that was a nephew of someone I was cleaning and he asked for it monthly and I said I don't offer monthly, so he said fortnightly? And I shook my head and before I had chance to say 5/6 weekly he said well our lass wouldn't pay for it weekly! I said no no it's 6 weekly and he breathed sigh of relief and said that's spot on. I said your uncle hasn't been cleaned since August Bank Holiday week so you can see weather and life events get in the way.

As an aside his other aunty was with us and said her trad lad does her 3 bed semi for £3. Was £2 until recently! ?

We purchased a compact trad round many years ago now, and immediately converted it to wfp as they were mainly dormers.

The round was done every 2 weeks. After a few cleans we started to get the old 'leave them this time as the windows are still clean' response. Being a compact round, neighbours talk and news spread and they all started doing it. Then we got the same response at 4 weeks.

It ended up that they wanted their windows cleaned every 6 or 8 weeks for the same 2 weekly peanuts price.

That was the first and last time we bought a round. We canvassed an area where we knew the window cleaners had packed in on our price and frequency terms. There was a lot in that area we didn't get because they had become used to the 3 bed semi being cleaned for £4 at that time.

We have a lot of street houses in our area and people still perceive fronts only (2 windows and a door) shouldn't cost them more than £2. I quoted £6 for one between 2 we do last year and he was visibly shaken.

Our experience in loftus was that £5 was the ceiling price of a 3 bed semi. A window cleaner now retired, was cleaning traditionally in Hinderwell for £4 for a 3 bed semi, and that was recently.

Then there was the cleaner in Nunthorpe cleaning 4 bed detached houses for £6. One he was cleaning sold for £450,000 in the middle of 2023.

Last edited:
There’s a team of 3 windys near me that do 2 weekly trad they are out walking with ladders everyday in all weathers, I got a call few weeks back from a woman that I reckon they dropped for being a bad payer or whatever, asking me if I could take over from them at the same rate of £5 for a 1st floor flat with 6 windows & a balcony door ? just to keep it polite I told her sorry I don’t cover that part of town,

Back