Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

When do I fully commit?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

ashley1337

Hi all, so I started around 6.5 Weeks ago, and the past couple of weeks have been extremely busy for me. I'm currently at 95 customers (not including one off's I've been doing) also (around 20 booked in for first cleans sat/sun). I don't feel like my prices are too low, window cleaners in my area, unless work for a big business charge less than me with a lot more experience.

I currently work around 45 hours for a telecoms company, and have been trying to fit a few first cleans in on a evening, and then most on a weekend but my current job doesn't really have a finish time so occasionally I have random finish times and then have to get home swap uniform swap vans and get back out and find myself pulling up to a new customer at 6 or even 7pm, they say they don't mind but I just don't feel it it looks very professional.

I haven't done any flyers in over a month so I haven't even been able to really target the areas I want, and I have a young family with my wife having her own business too. I cant really live off this many customers as a full time income, and have a mortgage etc, but also feel my full time job is a hindrance at the minute lol.

is it worth the to leave and give it everything I have and get out leafletting all areas, advertise on more Facebook pages etc and see if my customers have more friends and family who want theirs doing too? or take a safe option and find a part time job, maybe 2 days a week to have some steady backup income.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation?

When I started I had enough work for 1 day per week and just built on that , I was also a retained fire fighter and was driving trucks part time so just adjusted that to suite my financial needs , I would never suggest giving up a good paying job for the unknown but sometimes it’s the leap of faith that makes you make a success of it , good luck with what ever you decide to do .

Can you ask your employer if you can reduce your hours to say 4 days a week or maybe use your annual leave up to do 4 days a week to build up windy income. Personally I wouldn't quit till you have more income as a mortgage and a family to support is critical.

Hi all, so I started around 6.5 Weeks ago, and the past couple of weeks have been extremely busy for me. I'm currently at 95 customers (not including one off's I've been doing) also (around 20 booked in for first cleans sat/sun). I don't feel like my prices are too low, window cleaners in my area, unless work for a big business charge less than me with a lot more experience.

I currently work around 45 hours for a telecoms company, and have been trying to fit a few first cleans in on a evening, and then most on a weekend but my current job doesn't really have a finish time so occasionally I have random finish times and then have to get home swap uniform swap vans and get back out and find myself pulling up to a new customer at 6 or even 7pm, they say they don't mind but I just don't feel it it looks very professional.

I haven't done any flyers in over a month so I haven't even been able to really target the areas I want, and I have a young family with my wife having her own business too. I cant really live off this many customers as a full time income, and have a mortgage etc, but also feel my full time job is a hindrance at the minute lol.

is it worth the to leave and give it everything I have and get out leafletting all areas, advertise on more Facebook pages etc and see if my customers have more friends and family who want theirs doing too? or take a safe option and find a part time job, maybe 2 days a week to have some steady backup income.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation?
Yep absolutely. I was in the same position as you back in spring 2018. The only difference`s being that I only had myself to support. I was doing window cleaning on a part time basis ie saturdays and some evenings. My full time job was as an hgv driver monday to friday. I didn`t have as many customers as you though. I have always wanted to work for myself and decided to jack in the trucking. I to had a mortgage but also had a decent amount of savings to fall back on.

However i was fine. Didn`t hardly dent my savings. I went door knocking, leaflet distibuting and signed up with checkatrade. As long as you have that fire in your belly. That desire and enthusiasm you should be fine. I havn`t looked back to be honest.

Can you ask your employer if you can reduce your hours to say 4 days a week or maybe use your annual leave up to do 4 days a week to build up windy income. Personally I wouldn't quit till you have more income as a mortgage and a family to support is critical.
I'm currently a subcontractor, but the way it works at this company isn't how yo think lol... Self employed, but have to give 2 months notice for a day off and no part time available as you have a van etc and work is booked up to a few months in advance.

The only possible way is for me to make out like I have issues at home and they could do it "temporary" for me, but I don't really want to be that guy...

Yep absolutely. I was in the same position as you back in spring 2018. The only difference`s being that I only had myself to support. I was doing window cleaning on a part time basis ie saturdays and some evenings. My full time job was as an hgv driver monday to friday. I didn`t have as many customers as you though. I have always wanted to work for myself and decided to jack in the trucking. I to had a mortgage but also had a decent amount of savings to fall back on.

However i was fine. Didn`t hardly dent my savings. I went door knocking, leaflet distibuting and signed up with checkatrade. As long as you have that fire in your belly. That desire and enthusiasm you should be fine. I havn`t looked back to be honest.
I think if I didn't just buy a house id be doing what you did. the windows are bringing in a decent amount of money, but i ideally wanted to get 2x what I have now before taking the leap, but not sure if that's even going to be possible whilst working this other job.

Possible part time somewhere may be the best way?

I'm currently a subcontractor, but the way it works at this company isn't how yo think lol... Self employed, but have to give 2 months notice for a day off and no part time available as you have a van etc and work is booked up to a few months in advance.

The only possible way is for me to make out like I have issues at home and they could do it "temporary" for me, but I don't really want to be that guy...
Sounds like you're "employed" by a dodgy company that is stretching the rules to me. Can't see why you need to give 2 months notice when the self employed laws state you work when and when you want to

Sounds like you're "employed" by a dodgy company that is stretching the rules to me. Can't see why you need to give 2 months notice when the self employed laws state you work when and when you want to
maybe you've heard of them. They're called Kelly Communications. have probably 10,000 employees all under the same contracts and all paid by umbrella companies owned by the owners daughter's lol... I worked here a few years ago and ended up coming back when I felt a bit lost with what I wanted, but then found window cleaning and want to be gone ASAP lol.

QUOTE="ashley1337, post: 536119, member: 13545"]
maybe you've heard of them. They're called Kelly Communications. have probably 10,000 employees all under the same contracts and all paid by umbrella companies owned by the owners daughter's lol... I worked here a few years ago and ended up coming back when I felt a bit lost with what I wanted, but then found window cleaning and want to be gone ASAP lol.
[/QUOTE]
Google Pimlico Plumbers holiday pay, they really can't say you have to do what you're doing and them claim you're self employed

Google Pimlico Plumbers holiday pay, they really can't say you have to do what you're doing and them claim you're self employed
[/QUOTE]
This type of thing is is quite common with some very large firms ,99% seam to get away with it , you and I wouldn’t !,,,,,

[/QUOTE]
When I previously worked here, I went through this with them as I was the only engineer on the new contract they had who could actually do the job, they employed me and put my day rate and earning potential up and made me sign a contract saying id tell nobody lol.

since coming back, I know its not perm and only a stop gap until I can be fully self sufficient, so its not really worth going through it all with them again.

This type of thing is is quite common with some very large firms ,99% seam to get away with it , you and I wouldn’t !,,,,,
[/QUOTE]
Literally all big telecoms companies in the UK do this exact thing and get away with it. I could be home and get a random phone call saying I've got another job to go do and you aren't paid overtime. and if you say no you can say goodbye to your job lol.

Generally this doesn't happen to me as I do a lot of favours throughout the day, but I see it happen to a lot of new lads very often. (Staff turnover is mental)

After 1 year of leaving and returning, the yard has around 150 engineers in our area, and there was only around 4 who was there from when I was previously.

Literally all big telecoms companies in the UK do this exact thing and get away with it. I could be home and get a random phone call saying I've got another job to go do and you aren't paid overtime. and if you say no you can say goodbye to your job lol.

Generally this doesn't happen to me as I do a lot of favours throughout the day, but I see it happen to a lot of new lads very often. (Staff turnover is mental)

After 1 year of leaving and returning, the yard has around 150 engineers in our area, and there was only around 4 who was there from when I was previously.
[/QUOTE]
we have a family friend who works for another firm I won’t mention there name but same type of work he’s been with them must be 20 years , he’s not bothered by it as he’s on very good money and does mainly nights and weekends and doesn’t want to rock the boat

I've always worked for these types of companies, so i'm sort of use to it now. But since i've been out working for myself and getting my own work and just sort of doing as I fancy, it doesn't even feel like work. 6 weeks in and im excited to get home and get back out every day, just feel bad for the family at the minute that's all.

I've always worked for these types of companies, so i'm sort of use to it now. But since i've been out working for myself and getting my own work and just sort of doing as I fancy, it doesn't even feel like work. 6 weeks in and im excited to get home and get back out every day, just feel bad for the family at the minute that's all.
It will be worth it in the end. I personally would say you need more weeks before making a decision - i.e. you really need to see if the customers stick with you are where just looking for a one off type thing. This time of year you have most daylight so make the most of it but you will need some time to relax and have family time or you will burn yourself out.
It's going to be hard juggling both but I would say it's too early/risky to quit your 'day job'.

Sounds like you are doing very well keep up the good work ime sure you will make a success of it

My advice is to stick with what you have work wise and slowly build a round around Saturdays. Your are still new so you are probably finding getting through 95 customers to be an insurmountable challenge. But you will find that you will speed up with time.

A few months wfp after the first cleans I was managing 15 to 18 houses a day before the water ran out. At this rate, you have a 6 week scheduled round.

Working into the evening in summer shouldn't be a problem. You just might find parking more difficult as people away at work during the day will be home in the evenings. Some might even accept you working on Sunday. After all, they go shopping on Sunday, go the restaurants, buy petrol etc. and served by staff working weekends.

Of course, I'm also aware that family comes first.

My son resigned his job and came window cleaning 2 months before the credit crunch of 2008. I had enough work for him full time and a week myself. We canvassed like mad as I also envisioned losing a lot of work due to British steel shutting up shop on Teesside. We only lost 3 customers, one moved, one came back a year later and I was pleased to see the back of the 3rd one.

Within a few months I had enough work for myself. We also had a mortgage but I did have to fall back on savings.

I think you have done very well tbh. Well done @ashley1337

When I started window cleaning I worked a weekend round my son had - 3 days worth. I was unemployed so I had the time but not the money. I had a different set of worries. I had to make this work. Thankfully, son bought the trad round I mentioned on another post which have me work initially. Unfortunately, I had to draw on saving to buy a wfp trailer to clean all those dormer houses.

But I spent at least 2 years talking nothing but window cleaning. Networking brought the best results. I stopped the van numerous times when I saw some cleaning their own windows. Got a customer from one of those stops.

Last edited:

I was sub contracting for 30 years . Trust me you don’t need to give any notice. If they’re playing that game tell them you want holiday pay and you want it back dating for how ever long you’ve been there. I think you’ll find they sh1t themselves.

I think if I didn't just buy a house id be doing what you did. the windows are bringing in a decent amount of money, but i ideally wanted to get 2x what I have now before taking the leap, but not sure if that's even going to be possible whilst working this other job.

Possible part time somewhere may be the best way?
Yes a part time job could be a good solution but what does your wife think about the situation? Does she earn enough with her business to keep things affloat for a while until enough bucks start rolling in and if so would she be happy to do this? It wouldn`t take that long to build up your window cleaning business if you put your heart and sole into it.

6 weeks in and 95 customers already, that’s good going! I’ve no where near that amount customers and I’m about 3 weeks in. Well done, is that all canvassing and Facebook groups? Have you paid for any ads etc?

Latest Posts

Back