Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Friggin cold weather again

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I was selling my bungalow 20 years ago and I had many tree stumps to grind. Mate worked in hire place and got me a stump grinder down from up North. I must have been 6 to 8hrs in total grinding those trunks. Lying in my bed that night felt like I was on a vibrating table, worse sleep I ever had. I would have been better doing it over a few days rather than trying to rush it. Live and learn.
Did a 24hr sailing race in Plymouth and for the next 24 hrs was still rocking
Going for a pee in my house was a messy job lol

Only -2 here this morning
Nice fresh morning to work in

Attachments

• 1B7DCF8A-701C-4524-99BA-73033916FB4F.jpeg
    1B7DCF8A-701C-4524-99BA-73033916FB4F.jpeg
    202.3 KB · Views: 10
Got 16 solar panels so handy for charging anything during the day. Not turned a light on for months now because I have plenty of Festool battery lights in every room. Charge all my batteries during the day when its sunny. ?
Get yourself a battery as Octopus are currently paying £4 per KW discharged into the grid on certain days - like today between 16:30 and 18:00! I will be dumping between 3 and 4Kw into the grid so £8 to £12 OK so not a lot at all but more than covers my electricity usage during the day.
Octopus Flex tariff gives you cheap elec from 2am to 5am (dishwasher and washing machine on timers) and batter set to charge on cheap rate. That way you sell as soon as you start generating at about £18p/kw. After fitting solar last Feb my monthly gas and electricity is down massively. We were paying about £160 a month then lowered it to £80 when solar was fitted then built up £700 credit so lowered to £20 direct debit total for gas and electricity!

If anyone wants £50 credit on their gas and electricity bill then can switch to Octopus (they have regular tariffs for people without solar or EVs) and they are the same price as the gov cap sets it! The link to get £50 credit to switch to Octopus is this I also get £50 credit for anyone that switches so we both gain.

Get yourself a battery as Octopus are currently paying £4 per KW discharged into the grid on certain days - like today between 16:30 and 18:00! I will be dumping between 3 and 4Kw into the grid so £8 to £12 OK so not a lot at all but more than covers my electricity usage during the day.
Octopus Flex tariff gives you cheap elec from 2am to 5am (dishwasher and washing machine on timers) and batter set to charge on cheap rate. That way you sell as soon as you start generating at about £18p/kw. After fitting solar last Feb my monthly gas and electricity is down massively. We were paying about £160 a month then lowered it to £80 when solar was fitted then built up £700 credit so lowered to £20 direct debit total for gas and electricity!

If anyone wants £50 credit on their gas and electricity bill then can switch to Octopus (they have regular tariffs for people without solar or EVs) and they are the same price as the gov cap sets it! The link to get £50 credit to switch to Octopus is this I also get £50 credit for anyone that switches so we both gain.
Yes my bill is half of what everyone else has. My mum got rid of her washing machine and comes up and uses mine. She says its great, because she has a dishwasher in its place. No powder, lecky or fabric condioner because its all here. Only thing that worries me about batteries is a fire. Might look into it in the future. ?

Yes, first job was at Haydn Bridge, the usual 50 minute drive took 90 minutes and it wasn't me working it was my son. I was still trying to get the dog out for a walk :ROFLMAO:
Was it you or your dog that was struggling to get out the door? our two can't wait to get out of the door on a morning

He's 12 and a half now, still looks in very good condition but has the odd bad day. Been in fine form the last few days but pines a lot more nowadays when I'm working away
Ours is 12 we think as we rescued him and they estimated his age based on his teeth, he's been arthritic for a 2 years or so but really slowed down this year I didn't want him to be old so we thought why not try hydrotherapy so pleased we did.

Understandable that he pines more when your away they ain't daft and at all our boy is much more clingy these days than he ever was.

Ground was frozen up till about lunchtime around here and even then it was only unfrozen in the sunny spots. Had a conservatory roof to finish from yesterday that was a little longer than expected and another conservatory roof afterwards.

Left it until 12:30 to do the first one and got there and it was frozen, ground frozen and too dangerous to start. So off went to the next one.

Next one had been in the sun and felt a lot better... or so it seemed...

vacuumed cleared the gutters and it was a little frozen but mainly leaves so all ok, but my hands ? wearing the best gloves available just no use, absolute pain and wouldn't go numb like they would normally do, just pins and needles, persevered and cleared the gutters.

Upon clearing the gutters it was about 13:15 and my hands were giving me total grief, on top of this I could see that within about an hour the sun was going to dip below the house roofs in the distance. I went up on the ladder and could see that one side of the roof was still partially frozen. So given that my hands were killing me and the roof was still frozen and likely to freeze whilst trying to clean it I decided it was best to write the day off and come back another day.

Went to tell the customer and as soon as she opened the door I struggled to speak, I suddenly went light headed a bit and started feeling sick, she panicked and got me to sit down and I thought it would pass, but it didn't and I started to feel really weird , like I was either going to pass out or be sick and my chest felt a bit tight, after about 10 minutes I wasn't getting any better and she had to ring 999 and get an ambulance. It was classed as an emergency and took an hour to arrive, in that time my fingers started to feel more normal and after that I started to recover and felt fine but tired when they arrived. Gave me an ECG check and all the usual checks and all was fine which is what I expected but had to be done to be on the safe side. They put it down to the cold and my body's reaction to my fingers, which is what I thought but I've never felt it like that before, usually they recover but I was getting worse despite being in the warmth.

So not the best day and another issue with my friggin fingers. Absolutely does my head in. Everything else I'm absolutely fine, if anything a little hot but my bloody fingers, doesn't matter which gloves I wear, not of them work when it's like anything below 3c.

I'm going to splash the cash and buy battery heated gloves, think it's the only thing I haven't tried and I cannot go on like this as I'll end up in a bad way if I'm not careful.

Oh, and 1 hour for an ambulance for an emergency ? god help anyone on deaths door around here ?

Now got to get a hot bath to try and remove all the ECG tabs stuck all over me without ripping all my hairs out ? feels like they're super glued on ?

Moral of the story, you have to do what's best for yourself. If you suffer from the cold you have to listen to your own body and decide for yourself what's ok to work in.

Hi, this might help you, I was diagnosed with chronic migraine and was prescribed an epilepsy medication, the problem was that it made my hands and feet go numb, it was terrible in the cold weather, the neurologist told me to drink pure freshly squeezed orange juice and that would sort out the numbness in my extremities, IT WORKED! Try it, get a juicer and throw 2or 3 oranges in and drink it throughout the day in cold weather.

Back