Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Things I wish I knew when I started

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Lukeyprice

I started window cleaning in August 2022 after thinking about it on and off for months. My father in law is a window cleaner in a different area to me, he encouraged me to get into it. I did it alongside my normal job for a while, but am now full time into window cleaning.

When I started I was on this forum all the time doing searches to find things out, I wanted to repay all the help I got from those searches by making a post about what I've learned in my experience so far - hopefully another new cleaner can gain something.

1. Don't buy cheap equipment with the idea to upgrade it in future, you'll regret it down the line. Buy a good pole (can't go wrong with Gardner SLX), buy what you need to run your business. Even if you have to delay starting by a couple of months. This may not be true for everyone's but certainly true for me.
If you buy cheap, you buy twice - don't waste your money.

2. Canvass, canvass, canvass. Canvassing is boring, it's hard, it's sometimes demoralising - but it works. When I canvass I get a minimum of 1 customer per hour. Often 2 or 3. If you want to grow, you need to be canvassing.
Just say "Hi I am a local window cleaner, would you like a regular window cleaner?"
When giving a price, give your lowest frequency first if they ask if you do longer frequencies then offer a lower frequency. So I always go in with my 4 weekly price, if they ask I'll give am 8 weekly price - this small changed has caused a huge difference in my 4 to 8 week ratio.

3. I struggled with pricing up jobs at the start, often underpricing jobs badly. I developed a price list that I used as a guide. So I know if the home is a 3 bed semi without a conservatory it's a minimum of £14. I can then adjust the price slightly if needed. But at the very least, I know I'm in the right ballpark.

4. Post on local Facebook groups. I average more than 5 enquiries on a single post on the local Facebook page. Do a post at least every month or so.

That's all for now. Hopefully someone starting find this helpful. Any questions let me know.

Last edited:
Hi. Can I ask what a typical post looks like that you put up on local Facebook groups? Also have you tried leafletting and what is your response rate. Thanks for your info ?

Hi. Can I ask what a typical post looks like that you put up on local Facebook groups? Also have you tried leafletting and what is your response rate. Thanks for your info ?

I've used a few different Facebook posts. I generally will just say something like:

"Hello everyone,

I am a local window cleaner covering [list areas], please get in touch for a free quote."

OR

"Hello everyone,

I am a local window cleaner, get in touch for a quote.

A standard 3 bed semi is only £14 on a monthly clean. I do a very thorough job, including all of the windows, doors, frames and sills every time"

Try one, and make some changes each time, you'll find one that works best for you. I would advise posting in the evening or the weekend when most people are around.

I've done leafleting, have found it very ineffective personally. Far better to knock on doors post a leaflet if they aren't home. Unless you post thousands of leaflets, you'll find it not great at building regular work.
I suppose if you think about it, people either want clean windows or they don't. We are targeting those who want clean windows, but haven't got round to getting a window cleaner yet. If you only post a leaflet, you are still at the mercy of them getting round to calling you - people are busy and will often forget.

I have had success leafleting a road, then canvassing it a couple days later. I find them that those that "need to speak to their partner" have already done that and are more willing to say yes on the day.

One final canvassing tip - handing someone a leaflet after giving a price is a conversation stopper. When you knock and they are interested, immediately give a leaflet, then give them a price. When you have given a price do either of these:

1. Say "would you like me to get you booked in for [Day]?
2. Say nothing and wait for them to respond

With those you are essentially prompting a decision, you'll find you close more that way.

I bought plenty of things that in the end I didn't use, part and parcel when new too any game. Making mistakes is the only way we gain experience which we learn from. Eventually you get to a time when one can price jobs to our advantage and can also turn work away.

I've used a few different Facebook posts. I generally will just say something like:

"Hello everyone,

I am a local window cleaner covering [list areas], please get in touch for a free quote."

OR

"Hello everyone,

I am a local window cleaner, get in touch for a quote.

A standard 3 bed semi is only £14 on a monthly clean. I do a very thorough job, including all of the windows, doors, frames and sills every time"

Try one, and make some changes each time, you'll find one that works best for you. I would advise posting in the evening or the weekend when most people are around.

I've done leafleting, have found it very ineffective personally. Far better to knock on doors post a leaflet if they aren't home. Unless you post thousands of leaflets, you'll find it not great at building regular work.
I suppose if you think about it, people either want clean windows or they don't. We are targeting those who want clean windows, but haven't got round to getting a window cleaner yet. If you only post a leaflet, you are still at the mercy of them getting round to calling you - people are busy and will often forget.

I have had success leafleting a road, then canvassing it a couple days later. I find them that those that "need to speak to their partner" have already done that and are more willing to say yes on the day.

One final canvassing tip - handing someone a leaflet after giving a price is a conversation stopper. When you knock and they are interested, immediately give a leaflet, then give them a price. When you have given a price do either of these:

1. Say "would you like me to get you booked in for [Day]?
2. Say nothing and wait for them to respond

With those you are essentially prompting a decision, you'll find you close more that way.
I would also like to add networking to physical canvassing (door knocking).

Once you have a customer who is happy with your service, ask them if they have any friends or family nearby (locally) who could use your service. Believe it or not, we have got more loyal customers from networking than from canvassing. (I counted once that one customer, who worked in a care industry with old people, got us 18 new customers. Many have subsequently died, but we have a core of solid customers from those early days with parents and grandchildren. Having a recommendation goes a long way, as they already trust you because their friend/relative already has trust in you.)

When you have finished a clean, knock on the neighbour's doors. "We clean the windows of Mr and Mrs Gibson next door and are asking if you would also like a professional, honest and reliable window cleaner?" We have 'clumps' of customers generated from a single enquiry.

Back