Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Alternative when rained off...

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Yes, I find when charging 75% for a front only clean incentivises the customer to actually unlock the back gate as they feel they don't quite get full value for money if they don't. Most are fine.

I've just done this to one of my customers who is always forgetting to unlock the gate.  First time it happened I charged her full and said I'd go back when she unlocks, she was quick to unlock and I went back later in week.  Second time I just didn't do it and didn't charge, said to unlock the gate and I'll be back, which she did.  Third time again I didn't do it and said unlock the gate and I'll be back, she said she would unlock it but when I got there the gate was locked again.  Bearing in mind this was the second time I'd been there in one week so I thought right it will have to be front only.  Afterwards I was thinking how much it should be and thought well if I do half then there is no incentive to unlock the gate and the backs will end up really bad so next time I get a chance it's going to be like doing a first clean.  So I went with the 75% rule, text her to say that it's just front and price and not heard anything since (on GoCardless).

I'm going to adopt this rule from now on, it means that I won't be bothered about the backs, they can go 6 months for all I care, when they do have it done it will take longer but the way I see it they have already paid to have it done via the 50% extra for the fronts.  So 6 months would equal £30 extra paid on a £20 job (£15 front only).

I still not tough enough n wont clean windows if theres a chance of a shower still feel guilty n so many say "Its going to rain" i do try n day to new customers im busy,so will be working in the rain but i dont
That's why you buy waterproofs. 

Just get your head down and crack on.

I worked in storm doris a couple years ago with no problems.

Windows were still clean.

I have no sympathy for those who say they can't work in bad weather as I have done it since 1991 even while trad.  If it's to windy to be on ladders that's the only time I never did any work.

We had a customer today ask us to leave her windows as it’s going to rain later in the week , I said to her the sun is shining it’s like a summers day and reminded her of our agreement that we work in all weathers with in reason , it’s sunny so they should be done , she said you can start doing them again in the spring , I just laughed and walked away , she said to my guy  that I was very unreasonable and must be a tyrant to work for , he said no not at all the boss is very reasonable and you know that we work in all weathers she said I only want them doing in the summer months he then explained to her we don’t do that type of work so probebly best to try and find someone else , she said I will give you a ring in the spring and you can start again then , some people just don’t get it !!!!!!! , I hope she doesn’t phone in the spring beacause the answer will be a big no way . Funny thing is we have been doing this job for over two years never had a problem before .
Had a few of them lol.

When they text or phone in spring my answer is always the same.

Sorry I'm too busy to accommodate you now with all my regular year round customers so can't fit you in lol.

yep nothing like a first clean on a rainy day to save you fron a zilcho day

Yep i have folk like that, its going to rain this week n they havent had them cleaned in over 4 months, some people cant be trained they want to train you. 
I love doing first cleans on rainy days as it sets the tone with the customer about how you work.

Never have issues then when raining.

Should I ban this post as it's not on topic lololol
I think u should ban everyone on this forum.. I dare u to do it lol, I used to be a moderator on this forum once lol ? the good ol days lol 

Last edited by a moderator:
what ive developed over the years is a certain work routine......no more than 5 or 6 hours a day working "on the glass" 4 or 5 days a week.this allows room for a bit of flexibility for when the weather is REALLY bad but it has to be sideways rain and strong winds for hours for me to go home early or sack the day off completely,occasionally i might start later if its hammering it down first thing,thats it....

I've just done this to one of my customers who is always forgetting to unlock the gate.  First time it happened I charged her full and said I'd go back when she unlocks, she was quick to unlock and I went back later in week.  Second time I just didn't do it and didn't charge, said to unlock the gate and I'll be back, which she did.  Third time again I didn't do it and said unlock the gate and I'll be back, she said she would unlock it but when I got there the gate was locked again.  Bearing in mind this was the second time I'd been there in one week so I thought right it will have to be front only.  Afterwards I was thinking how much it should be and thought well if I do half then there is no incentive to unlock the gate and the backs will end up really bad so next time I get a chance it's going to be like doing a first clean.  So I went with the 75% rule, text her to say that it's just front and price and not heard anything since (on GoCardless).

I'm going to adopt this rule from now on, it means that I won't be bothered about the backs, they can go 6 months for all I care, when they do have it done it will take longer but the way I see it they have already paid to have it done via the 50% extra for the fronts.  So 6 months would equal £30 extra paid on a £20 job (£15 front only).
Far to decent, I won't ever drive back to a job as it's costing you more money than you will be earning, I had one phone me up insisting I needed to go back as the gate was defo unlocked by the neighbour I point blanked refused, hours later I had an apology text from her when she found out the gate hadn't been unlocked and unbolted, this still happens as in gate not unlocked she gets charged full price every time as it happens to often and has done for the last 4 years 

As for other jobs were it's a rarity, maybe on holiday or just forgotten I charge my minimum price of £7.00 even if there is 3 windows and a door at the front although more if needed depending on the job as in if it's a large house 

I just do what we did in the fire service and put a ladder one aide and a ladder the other side and over I go with the wfp. One of my customer's asked me to text them and they would leave the gate open but I told him not to bother. I don't see it as a big deal maybe when I get older I will. 

I just do what we did in the fire service and put a ladder one aide and a ladder the other side and over I go with the wfp. One of my customer's asked me to text them and they would leave the gate open but I told him not to bother. I don't see it as a big deal maybe when I get older I will. 
If you charge an extra £5 then fair enough as the time taken walking back to the van setting up ladders climbing over then putting everything away and text is free and would take a fraction of the time, can't wait till you post about someone knicking half of your ladder ?

If you charge an extra £5 then fair enough as the time taken walking back to the van setting up ladders climbing over then putting everything away and text is free and would take a fraction of the time, can't wait till you post about someone knicking half of your ladder ?

I need the ladder to clean a balcony door so not much extra time. never thought about someone nicking the other ladder though, maybe need a tracker fitted to it. ?

Uncanny you say that @Iron Giant as I was talking to my neighbour Jamie down the road who is a window cleaner, and he had an 8 ft A frame nicked last week that he’d left at the front of a gate.

Think it’s best to lift the ladder over the gate with you.

I carry two seven ft A frames on my roof rack and will be doing this from now on if no one can keep an eye on it 

Well, I say me, I normally get Jake my worker to do it as I’m old ?

If you don’t like the rain you’re in the wrong game fella.

we should have worked 15 days so far this january. We’ve worked 13. Lost one to  a 40mph gale. And we lost the other one yesterday to a very hard frost. Everything froze real bad and there was ice everywhere.

I had to de-frost the hoses in the bath as i stupidly left them in the van over night, the telescopic ladder sections were all frozen together so i had that up against the radiator while the hoses were in the bath. Big ladder every rung was coated in ice and clamps frozen on. Accepted defeat in the end as any run off when cleaning wfp would have frozen solid to the ground and no way i would risk tradding off a ladder i would have slipped in no time.

I usually know when to accept the day is lost but for some reason it took me two hours of wasted time and energy before i accepted doom.
The days we have worked have been wet & rainy in most cases. You could be waiting 2 weeks, 3 weeks, a month for a day of ideal weather this time of year it just dont happen.

Just get some waterproofs and put your viking head on when you walk out the front door and give it a battle cry your mrs will say youre mad but its either that or you aint paying the rent then she will be the one whos mad ?

Uncanny you say that @Iron Giant as I was talking to my neighbour Jamie down the road who is a window cleaner, and he had an 8 ft A frame nicked last week that he’d left at the front of a gate.

Think it’s best to lift the ladder over the gate with you.

I carry two seven ft A frames on my roof rack and will be doing this from now on if no one can keep an eye on it 

Well, I say me, I normally get Jake my worker to do it as I’m old ?
There is always some robbing swine some where no matter were you work, I am not as old as you, but I can't be doing with chewing on clambering over gates, plus if my ladder gets nicked it's also the money to buy a replacement as they ain't cheap

Hardly ever need to leave the backs...

Main approaches - explain these to custy when signing up, saying your expectation is they ensure the gate is unlocked...but on the rare occasion, it's no biggie because you'll...

• Use two ladders either side of a padlocked gate, up one /down the other (works a treat)
  • 'Just' bolted gate - Just reach over gate and throw bolt
  •  Bolted gate lower midway/lower down - A frame this side of gate , use WFP/brush to 'lift and slide' bolt open, 'open sesame'. (just reverse on leaving) - little practice and soon technique works a treat even when bolted on bottom & middle.
  • PIN entry's - get PIN when 'signing' up custy or after a few cleans for the odd suspicious custy
  • Padlocked gates - do they have a spare key they can leave secreted somewhere in the garden (on fence post/under flowerpot etc )

Back