Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Another quick way to clean Bungalows

WCF

Help Support WCF:

scottish cleaning service

I have a big Bungalow that takes alot of time due to the dust and webs on all the cills. Decided to grab a damp cloth and proceeded to clean every cill before I started. I then cleaned with the pole and in no time I was finished. Might even go back to wearing my pouches to hold my damp cloths because I think I will be trying this method from now on because I'm spending too much time on cleaning the cills. ???

I have always have a microfiber cloth on me as on some sills it's just easier & even some frames

Have you ever done trad ? If so that's the quickest for a bungalow. If you started on the pole though it would take you longer doing it trad.

Have you ever done trad ? If so that's the quickest for a bungalow. If you started on the pole though it would take you longer doing it trad.
Started off Trad. Last week a neighbour asked me to clean her windows and doors because Trad guys don't clean frames, doors nor cills. Might end up with a new customer.

I have a big Bungalow that takes alot of time due to the dust and webs on all the cills. Decided to grab a damp cloth and proceeded to clean every cill before I started. I then cleaned with the pole and in no time I was finished. Might even go back to wearing my pouches to hold my damp cloths because I think I will be trying this method from now on because I'm spending too much time on cleaning the cills. ???
I've noticed the same haha, then get **** allover the brush head and then gets on the glass and need to extra rinse to get it all off

Thanks for the tip, I usually wipe down all cills / sills? never know the spelling, lol, well I usually wipe them down after the clean just to perfect it.

Like you say the brush gets totally clogged up during the clean and on bad houses it can be annoying and time consuming having to clear all the bits. I don't think a microfibre would be ideal for doing what you say though as the microfibre just will get clogged up, but it has given me an idea to try dry brushing them quickly with a hand brush, a non flocked one. Even if it doesn't speed up the clean, if it means less bits getting clogged on the brush then it will be a more smoother rhythm and cleaner brush.

Thanks for the tip, I usually wipe down all cills / sills? never know the spelling, lol, well I usually wipe them down after the clean just to perfect it.

Like you say the brush gets totally clogged up during the clean and on bad houses it can be annoying and time consuming having to clear all the bits. I don't think a microfibre would be ideal for doing what you say though as the microfibre just will get clogged up, but it has given me an idea to try dry brushing them quickly with a hand brush, a non flocked one. Even if it doesn't speed up the clean, if it means less bits getting clogged on the brush then it will be a more smoother rhythm and cleaner brush.
I was cleaning a big conny so took a dry cloth and wiped the underside of the gutter which was wet from the rain we had and then used the damp cloth to clean the sills before using the wfp and it worked a treat.

I've noticed the same haha, then get **** allover the brush head and then gets on the glass and need to extra rinse to get it all off
Yes, end up with the brush full of stuff and then goes all over the windows. Better buying 50 blue cloths from Screwfix (£35) and using one to collect all the vegetation, webs and dust before putting the wfp on it. That 5min trick saves alot of time and pure in the long run. ???

Yes, end up with the brush full of stuff and then goes all over the windows. Better buying 50 blue cloths from Screwfix (£35) and using one to collect all the vegetation, webs and dust before putting the wfp on it. That 5min trick saves alot of time and pure in the long run. ???
I bought a load at the start and one of my customers gave me a bag of 20 when I first started haha ? will try this tomorrow though

Tried using a dry flocked hand brush today on all lower sills, only did 5 houses today so not really enough to gauge how good it would be over a fuller day but two of the houses were full of debris / cobwebs, one was so bad I've never seen it like that. Even though I don't think it was any quicker, well it certainly wasn't slower and more importantly the wfp brush head remained clean, no clogged bristles. I use a flocked pole brush so it does get clogged up and holds onto the bits, I generally just keep on going without clearing out the bits but eventually on bad jobs I end up quickly removing cobwebs that have become entangled in the brush.

It's definitely a new way of looking at the cleaning process, something that I hadn't considered. It's probably the biggest change I've made since whacking up the flow about 2 years ago. Basically those really bad sills that are full of bits and you go over it with the wfp scrub it and are then trying to chase the bits off the sills, you then go onto the next window and the bits that are clogged in the brush, some of them are then transferred to the next window so you have to ensure that non of those bits get left on the glass, often keeping an eye on the odd stray one as you're cleaning.

So you compare the usual process to dry brushing them first, well the bits just disappear really quickly when you quickly dry brush them, not only that you can quickly do underneath the sills and get rid of all the cobwebs, the edges of the sills where the cobwebs often are, dead quick, it all just brushes off to the floor. Double doors, well the hinges, I did those with the dry brush from the top to the bottom, just gets rid of all the spiders hiding in there, front doors at the side frames where you get all the little cob webs, again just a quick swipe on each side.

What it meant is that those 2 or 3 minutes doing that meant that when it came to using the wfp there was very little in the way of bits having to contend with, it was like cleaning an already clean window, it's just a smoother process with nothing interrupting the rhythm.

As I've said I always wipe down the sills after each clean using a fresh clean microfibre on each house I do. It's just to perfect it, I do the odd light and letterbox etc. What I found is that there's nothing really to wipe to perfect, I actually think it's probably 98% perfect whereas before it would be 90% perfect. So the wiping down after the clean is really just door handles now as the sills, well it's just one wipe with no bits on the cloth. And this leads to my next point, because the cloth isn't getting any bits on it means I'm coming off the job and they're still very clean, so instead of being full of bits and dirt well it's actually clean enough to use at the next job.

I think the most important thing though is that I feel the chance of transferring bits onto the glass is drastically reduced, to the point that it actually eliminates the chance of it happening. This means that it makes it a lot easier to achieve perfection, almost like making it idiot proof. You no longer have to chase all the bits everywhere, it's just a different experience entirely.

It also uses less water, I'm not sure exactly how much less, it really depends on the house and how many lower sills that are in a bad state, but I think it saves around 15% to 20% of water.

In wet weather / winter it's not going to work, but in dry weather... I think for me this is how I'll be doing the cleaning from now on. No time lost, better clean and generally a more satisfying job not chasing bits all over the place.

Cheers Scottish (y)

Tried using a dry flocked hand brush today on all lower sills, only did 5 houses today so not really enough to gauge how good it would be over a fuller day but two of the houses were full of debris / cobwebs, one was so bad I've never seen it like that. Even though I don't think it was any quicker, well it certainly wasn't slower and more importantly the wfp brush head remained clean, no clogged bristles. I use a flocked pole brush so it does get clogged up and holds onto the bits, I generally just keep on going without clearing out the bits but eventually on bad jobs I end up quickly removing cobwebs that have become entangled in the brush.

It's definitely a new way of looking at the cleaning process, something that I hadn't considered. It's probably the biggest change I've made since whacking up the flow about 2 years ago. Basically those really bad sills that are full of bits and you go over it with the wfp scrub it and are then trying to chase the bits off the sills, you then go onto the next window and the bits that are clogged in the brush, some of them are then transferred to the next window so you have to ensure that non of those bits get left on the glass, often keeping an eye on the odd stray one as you're cleaning.

So you compare the usual process to dry brushing them first, well the bits just disappear really quickly when you quickly dry brush them, not only that you can quickly do underneath the sills and get rid of all the cobwebs, the edges of the sills where the cobwebs often are, dead quick, it all just brushes off to the floor. Double doors, well the hinges, I did those with the dry brush from the top to the bottom, just gets rid of all the spiders hiding in there, front doors at the side frames where you get all the little cob webs, again just a quick swipe on each side.

What it meant is that those 2 or 3 minutes doing that meant that when it came to using the wfp there was very little in the way of bits having to contend with, it was like cleaning an already clean window, it's just a smoother process with nothing interrupting the rhythm.

As I've said I always wipe down the sills after each clean using a fresh clean microfibre on each house I do. It's just to perfect it, I do the odd light and letterbox etc. What I found is that there's nothing really to wipe to perfect, I actually think it's probably 98% perfect whereas before it would be 90% perfect. So the wiping down after the clean is really just door handles now as the sills, well it's just one wipe with no bits on the cloth. And this leads to my next point, because the cloth isn't getting any bits on it means I'm coming off the job and they're still very clean, so instead of being full of bits and dirt well it's actually clean enough to use at the next job.

I think the most important thing though is that I feel the chance of transferring bits onto the glass is drastically reduced, to the point that it actually eliminates the chance of it happening. This means that it makes it a lot easier to achieve perfection, almost like making it idiot proof. You no longer have to chase all the bits everywhere, it's just a different experience entirely.

It also uses less water, I'm not sure exactly how much less, it really depends on the house and how many lower sills that are in a bad state, but I think it saves around 15% to 20% of water.

In wet weather / winter it's not going to work, but in dry weather... I think for me this is how I'll be doing the cleaning from now on. No time lost, better clean and generally a more satisfying job not chasing bits all over the place.

Cheers Scottish (y)
Thanks goodness you don't wright out receipts. Wearing my Ettore Double Pocket Window Cleaners Pouch now with damp cloths and pink stuff on one cloth. A score from Ebay and will post a link.
We are here to help.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

One of these on a pole.
I do a couple of rural estates and they've been a nightmare for cobwebs lately, quick run over with this first and jobs a good'un

I had to use my extending pole with metal unger scraper on it. Had green woodpigeon stuff on the glass and it was rock hard. Lucky I had the pole with me because it saved me alot of time and pure, happy days.

Latest Posts

Back