Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Any thoughts on new window system?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Or you could just remove the + battery terminal. But if you have a split charge relay then this isn't a good idea.
I have clamps onto my leisure battery and just remove them when im not using my system. What i don't understand is if my varistream controller is showing i have the full 3 bars for my battery why when operating my water does it flash up "L" for low voltage? I use a B&Q battery charger maybe its time to buy a leisure battery charger.

Because leisure batteries are designed so that the minute there used, they should be charged to full again. I fitted a split charge relay 4 years ago and am still on the same 85amp leisure battery, where as before the relay I was going through about one every 18 months
Are the slip relays easy to fit?

I have clamps onto my leisure battery and just remove them when im not using my system. What i don't understand is if my varistream controller is showing i have the full 3 bars for my battery why when operating my water does it flash up "L" for low voltage? I use a B&Q battery charger maybe its time to buy a leisure battery charger.
Firstly, those bars are only a rough guide to your battery's charge condition.

A battery's state of charge is identified by the voltage at the terminals. You need to let your battery stand idle for 4 hours before you will get a true reading according to the battery experts.

12.7v or above = fully charged

12.5v = 75% charged

12.4v = 50% charged

12.2v = 25% charged

12v or under = discharged.

I don't know what parameters Williamson's have used to set the Varistream up, but the difference between 50% and 75% charged is 0.1volts. So you can't rely on those bars to give you an accurate reading. Springs controller that has a built in battery monitor is more accurate. However, best is a good quality multimeter.

What appears to be happening is that your battery has reduced capacity. If it started of as 110 amp new, calcification on the battery plates has reduced the capacity or size of the battery. Calcification is caused by leaving the battery in a low state of charge (or is it discharge) for any length of time. Age of the battery is also a factor. (Do a Google search on the web regarding leisure battery maintenance - the Motorhome and caravan forums are full of good info, most of which applies to us.)

When my first Orange battery failed at 3 years old it was showing as fully charged (12.8v) but by son and I only manged to get half way through a 3 hour job when the pumps stopped working. We were able to finish the job with the van's engine running as the split charge relay was providing sufficient power to run both pumps.

We drove the 10 miles home and during that journey the battery showed it was fully charged after I let it settle. I estimate that the battery only had a capacity of about 15amps. I ordered another and the problem was solved.

We were fortunate as we could leave the van engine running as it was in a secure area, something we wouldn't do if we weren't. In fact, you are breaking the law if you leave a vehicle's engine running in the street unattended.

You need to replace your battery and also buy a good quality intelligent leisure battery charger. You need to fully charge you battery regularly. We do ours every day in winter and every second day in summer.

I could live without a split charge relay but it has helped us out on several occasions. It would have cost us more to return to the job we were doing than the original split charge relay cost, so it paid for itself then.

I've since upgraded it to a VSR with heavy duty cabling as I need to eventually add a motorised hose reel and I also need to get my diesel powered hot water system together and install that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Numax did us well, but remember, Numax won't honour a guarantee on their batteries if they suspect you are a window cleaner.

This is why I buy mine from the local motor factors who I know. I wanted another Numax, but there was subsequently an issue with regard to discounts so he won't buy from them again. This is the reason why I now have a different make.

The guys seem to had good service from Halfords and Halfords don't seem to create an issue with window cleaners and their battery warranty. They also sell a battery charger suitable for leisure batteries I'm told from other forum posters.

Back