Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Anyone tried Streamline Ova-8  poles??

WCF

Help Support WCF:

This is why the Ova8 and the Phantom is of interest to me. The Ova8 cannot spin because it's Oval and the Phantom is supposed to have clamps that stop spinning. I have noticed that over the past two years the SLX's have been wearing out quicker than normal. This is only my opinion but this seems to be the case. I always adjust the clamps when I see it start to spin so not to add to the normal wear of the first inch of the sections.

Do you have any new designs coming to stop the dreaded spin?

This is why the Ova8 and the Phantom is of interest to me. The Ova8 cannot spin because it's Oval and the Phantom is supposed to have clamps that stop spinning. I have noticed that over the past two years the SLX's have been wearing out quicker than normal. This is only my opinion but this seems to be the case. I always adjust the clamps when I see it start to spin so not to add to the normal wear of the first inch of the sections.

Do you have any new designs coming to stop the dreaded spin?
Hi Vertigo

When we introduced the Patented Smart Clamps on the SLX poles this greatly extended the working life of the poles and is a feature that we still have to actively defend from competitors attempts to copy and use.

This was probably the biggest step forward in keeping high use carbon fibre poles working longer and more effectively - this has been proven with over 75,000 poles worldwide using this clamping system to great effect since its launch in 2013.

As time progresses it will be interesting to see how some newer 'solutions' work after time in the field.

The main reason that a pole will spin when closed is that a clamp has not been adjusted tightly enough - this is particularly true when a shorter pole is used on low level work as the sideways action will use any slipping of the clamp to effectively abrade the carbon surface - this will of course happen at some point with any material clamp or shape section. Keeping the pole clean and correctly adjusted from new will have a good effect on this.

Of course, I am talking generally here and I do not know if we have discussed your specific spinning or wear issues previously as you are a new Forum user and I do not know which of our clients you are (most others I do know by now!). The best thing would be for you to send me an email to [email protected] and I can take a look at your specific issue and products in use. This will allow me to be better placed to comment.

Hello Alex,

Thanks for the response. I'm not the kind of customer who wants something for free and I take the wear of the pole on the chin. The poles I buy from you earn me good money and I have only ever purchased your poles. I know what causes the spinning but it would be nice to have something that doesn't spin, hence my interest in the Ova8 & Phantom. You may be right in that they may fail in the field but it would be great if they didn't. Time will tell.

I nearly forgot to mention that if you use a pole which spins with a tubeless conversion the spin factor becomes more of a problem because when you want to connect & disconnect from the pole the sections move up an inch or so on section one and two. This then makes it difficult to change poles. You have to wedge the brush head against a wall or the floor to disconnect which is a pain. When the poles are new with no spin it's a one handed operation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Alex,

Thanks for the response. I'm not the kind of customer who wants something for free and I take the wear of the pole on the chin. The poles I buy from you earn me good money and I have only ever purchased your poles. I know what causes the spinning but it would be nice to have something that doesn't spin, hence my interest in the Ova8 & Phantom. You may be right in that they may fail in the field but it would be great if they didn't. Time will tell.

I nearly forgot to mention that if you use a pole which spins with a tubeless conversion the spin factor becomes more of a problem because when you want to connect & disconnect from the pole the sections move up an inch or so on section one and two. This then makes it difficult to change poles. You have to wedge the brush head against a wall or the floor to disconnect which is a pain. When the poles are new with no spin it's a one handed operation.

Hi Vertigo

I wasn't necessarily offering something for free!

However I did want to address your comments that you have a 5 month old spinning pole, which is not normal. If you would like me to look into this specific issue on such a young pole then please drop me an email and we can look at this for you.

Hi Iron Giant

You've obviously found a combination that works for you.

Looking at your question about internal wear.

External wear on a pole is very obvious and we all notice this as it happens - it usually affects the areas clamped most often and is caused by clamping friction being applied to a section - combined with dirt and moisture this will allow some movement which leads to abrasive wear. There are ways of reducing the effects of this, such as keeping the clamps adjusted tightly enough so that movement under the clamps does not start to happen and the obvious step of keeping the pole clean. The other cause of external wear is the action of sliding the section in and out of the pole - again keeping the pole clean will minimize this.

However, the wear that usually 'kills' sections off is internal wear. This is the wear that occurs during extending and using the poles and happens when you combine friction with dirt and grit trapped between the two layers of carbon tube. Most of the wear will occurs between the overlap area and the inside of the pole it slides within. This wear will also often focus on the point where the base of the internal section rests most in use - such as the area inside the #3 section where the base of the #2 section rests when fully extended and in use.

How can this internal wear be prevented? Regular cleaning (such as you are doing with wiping your pole hose after use), flushing out when dirty, renewing overlap tape, and spraying with PTFE dry-film are all things that can really reduce this friction and abrasion.

However on any pole there will be points where the wear is focused and at some point this is where the section will give up - for most poles this is the #2 and #3 section about 15-20cm down from the top where the base of the section above rests most of the time and where they get most lateral side wall pressure when working due to the leverage effect of a fully extended section levering against just a short area of the tube.

With an older pole you can reduce the effects of this by starting to work with an extra couple of inches not extended on the top 3 sections. This will reduce the leverage pressure and will rest the base of the section slightly further in to the outer sections.
I forgot to mention I bought a series 2 Xtreme sections #1 & #2 this September so mostly Xtreme 2 sections apart for #3 which is the full carbon as I find section #3 been full carbon provides greater versatility in clamping sections were best needed although it's now wrapped in black insulating tape and no longer gets fully extended for over 2 years old it ain't doing badly despite the bespoke mod. 

Regarding snapping sections and maintenance ie internal wear, thank you for the detailed information, I have decided over the wetter and colder months to flush the pole every 1-2 days and dismantle then keep in the house overnight so the sections are able to fully dry out and  spray the base of each section with  PTFE weekly and be certain to replace the tape each calendar month. Also, do you have a specific date for when you will cease to sell the replacement sections? Best Regards I.G  

I forgot to mention I bought a series 2 Xtreme sections #1 & #2 this September so mostly Xtreme 2 sections apart for #3 which is the full carbon as I find section #3 been full carbon provides greater versatility in clamping sections were best needed although it's now wrapped in black insulating tape and no longer gets fully extended for over 2 years old it ain't doing badly despite the bespoke mod. 

Regarding snapping sections and maintenance ie internal wear, thank you for the detailed information, I have decided over the wetter and colder months to flush the pole every 1-2 days and dismantle then keep in the house overnight so the sections are able to fully dry out and  spray the base of each section with  PTFE weekly and be certain to replace the tape each calendar month. Also, do you have a specific date for when you will cease to sell the replacement sections? Best Regards I.G  
A good maintenance regime like this will really help you get the best out of any pole.

We have stocks of the spares series-2 Xtreme sections to last us to about Spring 2019 - when we run out we will then probably offer an upgrade deal on sections 1-3 on the X3 version so that clients with series-2 poles can upgrade the top sections at a discount.

Someone bought up all the Xtreme series 2 section #2 sections in stock ???managed to buy one section  :banghead3:   @Damo have you got a stock pile 

I think we’ve got about 5 new poles lol
I placed an order on Friday and got the last No #2 section ? just thought I would ask I have an estimated  4 years out of the top sections if you would ever consider splitting any poles down or selling a whole pole I use a 22ft as my everyday pole so a No #2 is really my main want as I would like to future proof me until a real game changer hits the market 

I placed an order on Friday and got the last No #2 section ? just thought I would ask I have an estimated  4 years out of the top sections if you would ever consider splitting any poles down or selling a whole pole I use a 22ft as my everyday pole so a No #2 is really my main want as I would like to future proof me until a real game changer hits the market 

I’m round my parents tomorrow so I will have a look in the garage and see what’s left. 

I gave up on the series 2 as soon as the series 3 came out, but I was looking through spares only last week and I’m sure there’s a broken down pole and a few new 22’s. 

We only purchased the 22’s

I’m round my parents tomorrow so I will have a look in the garage and see what’s left. 

I gave up on the series 2 as soon as the series 3 came out, but I was looking through spares only last week and I’m sure there’s a broken down pole and a few new 22’s. 

We only purchased the 22’s
If there is a broken down pole for spares and a complete 22 I would be interested just let me know in due course no mad rush as got a few years worth yet, Thanks very much for replying very much appreciated. Best Regards I.G  

Back