Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Are window cleaners still allowed to work during Coronavirus (Covid-19)?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

The way I see it is this, you or may not be allowed to clean.( I believe we shouldn't.)my customers may not mind,but what about their neighbours? Or rest of general public? You could become hated in your home town quite quickly. We are going to go into a really dark period, some people are going turn.

If there had been any more tourists revisit this area this coming weekend there we could of easily seen violence! 

I've got five kids,four at home one stuck in Liverpool by the way. Ive got no savings but have a credit card and will cancel certain direct debits and hold fire for three weeks.im going to try and do the right thing as I've got to try and persuade my children to do the right thing. I don't want to put people at risk and I don't want to alarm anyone. I was a rebel for a big part of my life,wouldn't do as I was told and found myself in in grim situations and places,learnt the hard way. Now is not the time to be like that,this is very serious. I did work yesterday but last night put an end to that. 

Sorry, I'm getting confused by the various links!  

But this is the most up-to-date guidance on the restrictions imposed tonight.  As you will see, there's nothing in the content say we cannot work legally.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/874738/Full_guidance_on_staying_at_home_and_away_from_others.pdf
That's the link I posted, it is starting to look more and more like going to be personnal choice.

I think the bottom line is..... the government wants everyone to stay indoors if your job isn’t essential. Our job isn’t essential. Why is everyone trying to find a way round it? It’s clear what they want. 

Hi everyone. First time posting on the forums in these crazy times.

For me, going out at the moment is going to do FAR more harm than good. It’s a PR disaster waiting to happen. I do believe that we’ll eventually be given more specific guidance stating that only essential workers can work. Perhaps by next week. Is it worth risking your reputation to bring in a week or two’s wage? Yes, many customers will have no problem with us turning up. But all it takes is a few customers, neighbors or people driving past us to take a photo and we could get absolutely castigated. A lot of people are worried/concerned/angry and I personally don’t want my photo on my towns Facebook page for people to take out all their frustration on. It’s just NOT WORTH IT! Think long term gentlemen!

On the point of ‘essential work’, surely essential work at the moment is work that props up the NHS, delivers the absolute necessities of life e.g. food delivery, or anything else that keeps the vulnerable safe. I’m willing to not go to work for a while if it means that could take pressure off the NHS from either contracting the virus or sustaining a work related injury. Imagine how you’d feel if you had to go to hospital with a window cleaning related injury, that’s one less bed for someone who could potentially be dying.

I understand the financial pressure this puts on us all. I think I can last 6-8 weeks before I really start feeling the pinch. But I would urge anyone who is going out to work to think about the above points, never mind the exact wording of what Boris said, the points I make apply no matter how he worded it.

The way I see it is this, you or may not be allowed to clean.( I believe we shouldn't.)my customers may not mind,but what about their neighbours? Or rest of general public? You could become hated in your home town quite quickly. We are going to go into a really dark period, some people are going turn.

If there had been any more tourists revisit this area this coming weekend there we could of easily seen violence! 

I've got five kids,four at home one stuck in Liverpool by the way. Ive got no savings but have a credit card and will cancel certain direct debits and hold fire for three weeks.im going to try and do the right thing as I've got to try and persuade my children to do the right thing. I don't want to put people at risk and I don't want to alarm anyone. I was a rebel for a big part of my life,wouldn't do as I was told and found myself in in grim situations and places,learnt the hard way. Now is not the time to be like that,this is very serious. I did work yesterday but last night put an end to that. 
Mr G,

Thats about one of the most sensible replies I have read on this subject.

I am in the same boat as yourself and many many others. 2 kids at home, Mrs closed salon a few days ago, worrying times. No savings to fall back on and no bank of Mum & Dad either. 

My customers welcomed me all day yesterday but not so sure now. No doubt a lot of customers will say ‘yeah pop around Dean’ and ‘you’ve got to work and feed kids haven’t you’ but and here’s the but: Would you feel ok about it conscience wise? 
Yes financially we will suffer, the bills will suffer. Get rid of non essential direct debits, if needed contact the mortgage company or rental agency. 
Nobody will starve. We will not be kicked out of our homes if we can’t pay the bills.

I’ve worked for 25yrs since leaving school and it doesn’t feel right not working but perhaps now is the time to put health, our kids, family and friends and neighbours first and look after them another way, not just financially.

Thats my opinion.

Whatever you decide, good luck and all the best. 

Rogers out. 

Just been on the news. If u work on a building site u can continue. If u visit people’s homes say like a plumber then u can visit if it’s an emergency. No mention of people having the luxury of having their windows cleaned!

Right guys, whatever you decide to do, keep safe. I'm off to work, for the record as it has been said time and time again, we can go to work, but if you decide to stay at home, that's fine too. 

Mr G,

I am in the same boat as yourself and many many others. 2 kids at home, Mrs closed salon a few days ago, worrying times. No savings to fall back on and no bank of Mum & Dad either. 

My customers welcomed me all day yesterday but not so sure now. No doubt a lot of customers will say ‘yeah pop around Dean’ and ‘you’ve got to work and feed kids haven’t you’ but and here’s the but: Would you feel ok about it conscience wise? 
Yes financially we will suffer, the bills will suffer. Get rid of non essential direct debits, if needed contact the mortgage company or rental agency. 
Nobody will starve. We will not be kicked out of our homes if we can’t pay the bills.

I’ve worked for 25yrs since leaving school and it doesn’t feel right not working but perhaps now is the time to put health, our kids, family and friends and neighbours first and look after them another way, not just financially.

Thats my opinion.

Rogers out. 
Dean, the best and most responsible response I've seen.

Thank you for being considerate of everyone else (including your family who are at home with you!) by not continuing to potentially spread the virus unnecessarily. 

People are taking the government's words out of context. Now is the time to act and do your part. Forget about pride and an extra week's work - grin and bare it like everyone else. Window cleaning is not essential, end of. 

Be hopeful we will get financial support to cover loss of earnings, soon. Time will tell!

Stay safe and do your part.

Spot on fella. Absolute sense. 

People on here need to follow your lead. 

Mr G,

Thats my opinion.

Rogers out. 
Regarding the financial side. The good news is that it looks like a compensation package will be announced for self employed people who can't work because of the restrictions/virus .it sounds like we may be entitled to 80% of our average monthly net pay up to £2917 (based on your last 3 years earnings)....That will be a big help

Regarding the financial side. The good news is that it looks like a compensation package will be announced for self employed people who can't work because of the restrictions/virus .it sounds like we may be entitled to 80% of our average monthly net pay up to £2917 (based on your last 3 years earnings)....That will be a big help
Where did you hear this fella?

Back