Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Best way to give out quotes

WCF

Help Support WCF:

NoName

So I've been issuing written paper quotes (Pre-printed A4 quote forms with all options of services we provide - just fill in the blanks) but wonder what YOU guys do - I'm seeking the optimal approach - what do you use/do?

My utopia is a tablet with preloaded form, to which I enter the details/price, can immediately email it to the customer (capture all their contact-marketing details) and with a portable printer in the van instantly print it out for customer. (I think this will give the custy a good impression of the service they can expect)

Custy gets a smart 'instant' written & emailed quote...I get all their contact details (stored in one place and secure) and prices quoted for each service - for future reference (when they ring up a year latter - "you did a job/quote a year ago - I'd like to go ahead..." I just enter name and viola - it's on the tablet...(no more shuffling past quotes forms until I happen across it....)

What's the SMARTEST way to issue quotes (and capture custy/job details) ?

Do any of the window cleaning round software offerings offer a quote capture/issue function?

So I've been issuing written paper quotes (Pre-printed A4 quote forms with all options of services we provide - just fill in the blanks) but wonder what YOU guys do - I'm seeking the optimal approach - what do you use/do?

My utopia is a tablet with preloaded form, to which I enter the details/price, can immediately email it to the customer (capture all their contact-marketing details) and with a portable printer in the van instantly print it out for customer. (I think this will give the custy a good impression of the service they can expect)

Custy gets a smart 'instant' written & emailed quote...I get all their contact details (stored in one place and secure) and prices quoted for each service - for future reference (when they ring up a year latter - "you did a job/quote a year ago - I'd like to go ahead..." I just enter name and viola - it's on the tablet...(no more shuffling past quotes forms until I happen across it....)

What's the SMARTEST way to issue quotes (and capture custy/job details) ?

Do any of the window cleaning round software offerings offer a quote capture/issue function?

For large commercial jobs you're probably on the right lines...

For small commercial (eg: small high street shops) & domestic you're over-complicating things. Best to keep it simple...

IMO there's no one way or right way to give out quotes. It's whatever works for people. And also dependant on what type/style of business you're running. E.g. If you're a trad rag guy you're unlikely to be formalizing quotes by Email or printing them! Even if you're operating in the rural middle class areas and cleaning whilst wearing a suit it may still not be necessary to worry about formalizing as you suggest!! If you get my drift. For me it comes back to what kind of business you're running and what image you would like.

My business model is built on a reputation of being professional, consistent, reliable, etc, etc. Prople round here know who I am and what to expect from me. I do formalise quotes by Email because it fits with my business model. But also, although I have a lot of regular window cleaning jobs, I do lots of jobs where I'm at properties for a while - so cleaning everything including con, fascias, soffits, clear gutters, etc. So I formalise quotes using an Excel sheet which I've set to convert, in one click, in to an PDF which is attached to an Email. The PDF is set using with my logo, background, etc that I use for all of my printing or online stuff. In the Email content, which is copied and pasted from a standard template, I then tailor it. The content explains things such as payment options, reminder texts, standard of work they can expect, etc, etc. It takes me around 5 minutes from start to sending. I'm usually able to give people a verbal quote in person and they pretty much always accept. Though I always still formalise. The larger jobs I usually explain I'll get back to them with a quote by Email. Most of those are accepted too. 

As for giving instant quotes I wouldn't worry about that. I think it's unnecessary and could create an image you don't want. I.e. I'm busy because I run a successful business where customers seek me out. They know I'm busy, too busy to be messing around sending or printing quotes instantly!!

I only ever quote having been to the property and met the customer. We'll have chatted and discussed what they want. I'll have taken the opportunity to explain what other services I offer. They often take some of those services despite not previously considered having those things done, or done by a window cleaner. I'll have left a business card and hopefully a good, professional impression. I don't advertise. No leaflet drops, no social media, etc.

If you're competition is the WFP guys who whip round, squirt water at glass as fast they can and undercut the local guys then if you're doing the same a formalised quote wouldn't be for you. Ps nothing wrong with the splash and dash guys!...well there is but if customers choose to continue using them then more fool them!! 

Only my opinion! And what works for me! 

Ideally quote in person if close to home. However with traffic and travel its not always convenient to go out and get stuck for an hour in the evening just to give a quote you might not win. For gutter jobs i view the house on google earth and find it very easy to price & win gutter clearance jobs that way if its a nice easy shaped house. If it looks particularly high or awkward i Usually turn it down e.g. high victorian terraces. For windows i usually ask them to send pictures and a close up of the upstairs window sills, and ask if there is any paint/glue or cement on the glass. If you can quote from home great no time or diesel lost then if you dont win it. For fascia cleans/driveway cleans/conny roof cleans etc always best to go and have a look though. Check for outside taps, water pressure, any potential drainage nightmares, any damaged or loose fascias etc.

Cheers guys - mea culper - perhaps I wasn't clear...

I currently visit 95% customers (face to face) - agree face to face massively increase take up rate - I show them photo portfolio of past jobs to show before/after pics - testimonials - product endorsements/EA Waste Licence/ PL Certificate/Flyers 

1. I discuss the service they have contacted me about (mention payment/frequency/method/approach/Any ?s etc)

2.Take their contact details (name/number/email/address)

3. Provide them a WRITTEN quote there and then (most accept)

4. Check schedule and provide date there and then

All this is done in person and on the initial call to quote

Downside to my current approach is a lot of paper is generated over time/have to dig it out for repeat/annual work - what did I quote/charge them last time..etc 

So WHAT I was wondering has anyone got a better way of doing the ADMIN -  my ideal is digitising the data collection/storage so on the initial call I can simply enter their details and price I quote into an 'app' and use that to issue them the quote on the spot (getting most to commit on the first visit - not to make this a big deal or showy or anything - just to make it efficient)

Upside to this...

A) Capturing emails details for marketing in future - GDPR permitting

B) Storing custy details for easy recall in future (annual jobs etc)

C) Always knowing exactly what I quoted for every customer - so I don't 're-estimate' for repeat infrequent services, lose my paper copy/etc

D) Custy gets an email from me into their inbox so - should be easy for them to email back in future if they need to  (saying where are you ?)

Just wondered if anyone had nailed this 'admin' part of the quote process and uses a certain app/approach to do it????

OR suggestions on an suitable app/setup that would do this?

I have done and still do a lot of quotes via private message via my facebook business page, this has worked extremely well for me over the years and the clients, easy for me as I am too busy to be doing house visits so they provide photos of each side of their house with windows and get a quote asap and if happy to go ahead the sign up to GoCardless 

For those that don't know, fb messages that get marked as done then become archived so all and any contact with the client is kept, which is great for me as I have a shocking memory and if the client contacts me about the job for whatever reason I can double check the message history, examples are a partner assumes the conservatory roof was included in the price or ones saying they have never got a text for locked gates, upon checking they either haven't provided a number as requested or they have given a wrong number.

I have done quotes and had new jobs signed up to GoCardless in 15 minutes in the past, doing them via fb also means I don't waste any time for a price shopper or anyone who isn't wanting a regular service yet makes out like they do, if they can't be bothered to take a few photos then there isn't going to be any commitment from them moving forward. 

Nice one Iron - that sounds like a slick process for windows - I'm not on fb - was worried about spurious/malicious comments by rivals - having read a few guys have had this issue...buy maybe I should dip a toe...sounds fast and efficient

(I offer a lot of other services aswell and for these always like to see the job first - I'm always around 'my patch' so calling by is never a big deal)

Nice one Iron - that sounds like a slick process for windows - I'm not on fb - was worried about spurious/malicious comments by rivals - having read a few guys have had this issue...buy maybe I should dip a toe...sounds fast and efficient

(I offer a lot of other services aswell and for these always like to see the job first - I'm always around 'my patch' so calling by is never a big deal)
|
Having been on fb for a number of years now I've had no issues, it has also helped my reputation through recommendations and clients leaving reviews on my page.

Agreed Steve experience helps to 'price' a job...I was thinking more how to physically issue (paper/email etc- see above) the quote...wondered if any guys used software...Iron's issues them directly from fb getting custys to send photo's - that's the sort of thing... 

I write the details on a small notebook : customer details, gutter empty, soapwash, reg window wash etc (in shorthand) . All prices noted. I write the options and prices on the back of a business card for the customer to keep. And then I tick off what's been agreed on my pad and on the card.

Takes no more than a few minutes.

I'd say don't over complicate things.

Old fashioned face to face discussing with customers gives them a chance to weigh you up and most like the personal touch.

Last edited by a moderator:
I designed my own invoice in MS word - with a few details on the reverse side. Print it using 4 sheets to a page and a fancy print order (in the pages selection box) using double sided (duplex) printing and then once printed i can literally fold in half and the page under the first is identical - then insert a carbon copy sheet between. That way i can leave the custy a quote and keep a copy of it myself with the writing in the same parts of the printed copy that was folded under it. That way i always have a copy, know exactly what was on the original and can refer to it when needed.

Custom printed CC receipt / invoice books cost stupid money on ebay.

I have a form I use to calculate the quotes, and just take a photo of it with my phone to keep a record of it, then I have a folded flyer I order from vista print and which I write the price etc. on that for the customer. That way I can go round and take a look, and if they are not home, I just post the quote. Then call them back to discuss over the phone in the evening. 

If they are in, I will tell them the price, plus give them the printed quote, with another 'new customer' trifold brochure I use.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back