Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Bristle brush vs applicator sleeve for Trad Cleaning

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Rope-Monkey

Hi folks. Question for the Think-Tank. I've got an abseil towerblock clean coming up & the windows haven't been done for years, meaning that everything is filthy with salt & grime (next to the sea). Did a test run & it's going to require two or more cleans per window which isn't financially viable, so I'm wondering whether a bristle brush might be more effective than a standard applicator sleeve. Anybody have experience of these & which types of bristle may be best? Think they were common in the past but I'm not a window-guru so figured I'd ask those who are ;-) Cheers.

Did a test run & it's going to require two or more cleans per window which isn't financially viable,
I can't help with your question but the above sentence has confused me. Why isn't it financially viable, surely this was looked at before you quoted. If it's heavily salt stained then the lower windows will need hot water to dissolve / loosen the salt and would be done far quicker by WFP, doable up to 6 floors by many companies.

Not sure why it's confusing: I'm just looking at ways to make life easier & quicker. WFP isn't much of an option: this is 30 floors/110m high so we won't gain much by doing a few of the lower floors, there's a wide glass canopy above floor 1 that we can't stand on & a busy main road which would complicate it even more. Can't use a MEWP as on one side of the building the ground won't support the weight. And of course it was looked at before we quoted but doing an actual abseil/test run isn't something anyone can do as part of a site visit & it was pure chance that we managed to get out recently to do some cladding repairs (after quoting) to see just how filthy it is. Thanks for your input, though.

Hi folks. Question for the Think-Tank. I've got an abseil towerblock clean coming up & the windows haven't been done for years, meaning that everything is filthy with salt & grime (next to the sea). Did a test run & it's going to require two or more cleans per window which isn't financially viable, so I'm wondering whether a bristle brush might be more effective than a standard applicator sleeve. Anybody have experience of these & which types of bristle may be best? Think they were common in the past but I'm not a window-guru so figured I'd ask those who are ;-) Cheers.
@Rope-Monkey it might depend on the frames, but for the glass you might be able to try a coconut pad on a pad holder - I have this from window clean centre https://windowcleancentre.co.uk/products/pulex-cleano-10?_pos=5&_sid=1a2a1b450&_ss=r and I put a coconut pad on it. It has a sort of 360⁰ swivel so is very easy to apply pressure from a lot of angles. You'd need to check the glass wasn't coated first though.

Exactly as @Part Timer said try and factor everything required to get them clean on the first attempt - equipment, time, if you need help etc - and quote accordingly mate. Especially if they haven't been done for ages, because if they're cleaned to a good standard they may not rebook for a while and let them get messy again.

For first cleans with stubborn dirt on frames and glass use a bronze wool pad, walnut pad or IPC techno pad all of which are available from Darren at DA Components

Once you've removed all the dirt then use a standard applicator and squeegee

If it's only accessible by rope work you will be in for a fun day on the karabiners.

20240215_153448.jpg

I have been using one for a few months. It definately has more scrubbing power. But I doubt if would make any noticeable difference on really dirty windows.

A moerman gekko pad with steel wool, would be your best option or some5hing similar to keep the speed up.

Mop sleeve with nylon bristles added in > bristled brush all day.. For pure scrubing work, my vote goes to the TechnoPad w/ whichever non-scratch abrasive pad you prefer (bronze, walnut, white, etc..)
First time cleans definitely require a nose to glass approach.. You oughta know that you cant see all the issues on a 2ns story window when you're standing on the ground cleaning with WFP...

The Ettore porcupine apllicator sleeve is good. I always use it on very dirty windows. Still have to use a hand held scrub pad on seriously dirty windows and go over them twice though, but it definitely helps.

Back