Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

First Clean

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Tuffers

Got a first clean to do next week. It's a new build and it's been rendered, the frames (which are grey aluminium) and glass have been covered by a plastic film and taped round the edge to keep all the mess off them. On some of the frames you can see that the compo has got into the grain of the frame. I'm going to do the glass trad first time and WFP after that. The scaffolding will still be up, so I can get to windows over porches etc. The bloke aint too happy with WFP as he had bad results on his last house, but is happy for me to prove him wrong. I gave him a 4 weekly price and he is paying me by the hour for the first clean. He wants a dogs job doing on it. So my question is, what shall I use to get the compo out of the grain on the frames? Plus I don't know what else I will find behind the plastic film. I hate first cleans :mad:. He's going to watch me like a hawk I feel.

I'll take some pics of the view if I remember :thumbsup:

Got a first clean to do next week. It's a new build and it's been rendered, the frames (which are grey aluminium) and glass have been covered by a plastic film and taped round the edge to keep all the mess off them. On some of the frames you can see that the compo has got into the grain of the frame. I'm going to do the glass trad first time and WFP after that. The scaffolding will still be up, so I can get to windows over porches etc. The bloke aint too happy with WFP as he had bad results on his last house, but is happy for me to prove him wrong. I gave him a 4 weekly price and he is paying me by the hour for the first clean. He wants a dogs job doing on it. So my question is, what shall I use to get the compo out of the grain on the frames? Plus I don't know what else I will find behind the plastic film. I hate first cleans :mad:. He's going to watch me like a hawk I feel.
that plastic film is a great idea...usually the frames are sticker covered too....except i went to one job and they had stuck it on with adhesive....two hours on a sales cabin was a long time but this was before someone told me on here about the great sticky stuff remover and so i had to use a six inch scraper and of course it kept getting gunged up

..the worst job i have done for a long time....so have a go first at peeling back the film it should just come off....mind you a lot of these plastics dont like long exposure to the sun which is why they say take them off straight away....

now as for the frames....i found a green scrubber pinched from the wife worked great with some pvc cleaner...but it does depend how engrained it is..and of course a spot check first to make sure you dont damage...

yes after my recent experience with new build work i have gone right off it ...good luck with it anyway just hope he doesn't have any binoculars.. .he he he..:rofl:

Thank you for your input norm /emoticons/biggrin.png

CNC is a man of sense. Just remembered, I've got some magic sponges. They'll do a job. Not sure I've got enough though.

Ahh yes, binoculars lolz.

Whenever someone says they want a top job you will never please them no matter what you do so be warned /emoticons/biggrin.png

Not one for me as I stay well clear of those sorts of cleans now but good luck @tuffers:thumbsup:

P.s go very careful what you use on those new ali grey frames too or he could end up making you pay for any damage you cause

P.s go very careful what you use on those new ali grey frames too or he could end up making you pay for any damage you cause
Yes @Smurf I'm not looking forward to this one at all. Good job I'm getting paid by the hour though :thumbsup:

BTW, a tip for anyone cleaning grey uPVC. Don't use uPVC cleaner on it, it strips the colour off!

So which is it plastic or ali @Tuffers :rolleyes:

For the frames hot water with ecover dish wash soap in it & a soft brush/microfiber cloth should be the first thing you should try @Tuffers :thumbsup:

back to ebay for my magic sponges ta for reminding me..../emoticons/smile.png
Just gone and bought 200 for £10.70 inc free postage. Coming on a slow boat from China though :rofl:

I'll dish a few out when they come, to anyone who's never tried them. I think the Bacardi is kicking in :confused:

So which is it plastic or ali @Tuffers :rolleyes:
The frames on this job are ali, so the custy said. You've got me confused now, as I've seen graining on the frame. That would be odd on ali! I have done uPVC grey on another job and the custy asked me to use uPVC cleaner on them and it stripped the colour off it.

If I get fed up with it, I'll just jump in me van and onto me regular work /emoticons/biggrin.png

I've never seen grey plastic frames before @Tuffers

Just googled grey pvcu frames and low and behold they make them too. That just goes to show I don't know everything /emoticons/biggrin.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds to me they are just tight barstuards as can't afford to pay out for traditional real oak painted frames /emoticons/biggrin.png

Wonder how they will look when the thin grey plastic facing starts to fade:rolleyes:

I think they look really trendy myself, especially when the walls are white washed. Grey is the new white Grey is cool
yeh thanks for reminding me tuffers...i have to paint the guy opposites shop outside every year....everything is ...bloomin grey you can see too much of a colour...

Thank you for your input norm /emoticons/biggrin.png
CNC is a man of sense. Just remembered, I've got some magic sponges. They'll do a job. Not sure I've got enough though.

Ahh yes, binoculars lolz.
sorry @Tuffers never did a first clean before but know all about being watched

they are always watching me-----always

sorry @Tuffers never did a first clean before but know all about being watchedthey are always watching me-----always
yeh i got a few goldfish bowls to clean...with net curtains a twitching....nowt else to do ....just waiting for the windy to fall off his ladder and make their day...:specs

tuffers first cleans when you clean them check the windows for marks, and the frames and tell him straught a way always keep eye

for double glazed units blown also

these guys would like nowt better to catch you out

Back