Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Damage to very old wall

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Not sure on this one

The way the law is means that if you were to fall off a ladder working on a customers property you can legally sue the customer (although we wouldn't) as they have a duty to know how you are doing the job and are agreeing to it

Not sure about the broken wall though

This is why I have £5m liability cover though

£1m is about 14 quid a month through gleaming though and covers a very comprehensive amount of circumstances so well worth paying for

I would just rebuild the bit I broke or get someone else to build it and pay the bill. The wind would have probably blown it over in the fullness of time. I don't think her home insurance covers fences or walls but I may be wrong.

Not sure on this one

The way the law is means that if you were to fall off a ladder working on a customers property you can legally sue the customer (although we wouldn't) as they have a duty to know how you are doing the job and are agreeing to it

Not sure about the broken wall though

This is why I have £5m liability cover though

£1m is about 14 quid a month through gleaming though and covers a very comprehensive amount of circumstances so well worth paying for
I think it goes like this; the customer has invited you on to their property to do the work, therefore if you get injured or something gets damaged, then it is then customer' s responsibility to make sure that it is safe etc. In this case of the single wall, the owners could argue that you didn't have permission to go on that wall, so you contributed to the damage, as I think someone has already pointed out. So if it was me, I would bite the bullet and offer to go halves, but only as far as putting it back to how it was.

I think it goes like this; the customer has invited you on to their property to do the work, therefore if you get injured or something gets damaged, then it is then customer' s responsibility to make sure that it is safe etc. In this case of the single wall, the owners could argue that you didn't have permission to go on that wall, so you contributed to the damage, as I think someone has already pointed out. So if it was me, I would bite the bullet and offer to go halves, but only as far as putting it back to how it was.
He didn't go on the wall that fell down. He merely put his ladders up against it,and it fell down. I see it like this,if the wall was knackered,and it fell down just because ladders were lent against it,then it ain't your fault. If you walked on it,and it fell down,then there's an argument that it is your fault.

I've got a customer who has had one hinge holding the gate on for months, she's aware of it too. Now if I go through the gate,and it falls off its one remaining hinge,then am I responsible?

No. If I did something stupid like trying to vault it,and it then broke,then maybe I am responsible.

Same as if the chap here had walked on the wall,or charged at it with his ladders,in a bizarre medieval jousting reenactment, then I'd say he's responsible.

But leaning his ladders against it,and it falling down.....nah!

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

It would appear that @fast_muchly doesn't much care for peoples responses as he hasn't bothered to respond. My PL costs me £13 a month and is worth every penny.

I remember when I was at school I was p1ssing around one day on the way home and knocked a decorative ball from the top of a pillar at the end of someones garden. Being the little ? that I was I tried to run off. The woman caught my mate who bottled it and grassed me straight in. The ball was already loose and had clearly fallen several times before.

My parents offered to pay for it to be fixed because that was the right thing to do. Yes the law might state this and that but realistically if the right thing to do is to have it fixed then have it fixed. More importantly the right thing to do is get some bloody insurance!

It would appear that [mention=189]fast_muchly[/mention] doesn't much care for peoples responses as he hasn't bothered to respond. My PL costs me £13 a month and is worth every penny.

I remember when I was at school I was p1ssing around one day on the way home and knocked a decorative ball from the top of a pillar at the end of someones garden. Being the little [emoji90] that I was I tried to run off. The woman caught my mate who bottled it and grassed me straight in. The ball was already loose and had clearly fallen several times before.

My parents offered to pay for it to be fixed because that was the right thing to do. Yes the law might state this and that but realistically if the right thing to do is to have it fixed then have it fixed. More importantly the right thing to do is get some bloody insurance!
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]things you do hey. One time the lad I used to work with kicked a ball at me in someone’s back garden whilst I was at the top of my ladder. He missed and hit their sky dish and knocked the receiver off. His face went white. Luckily it wasn’t broke and just needed popping back on. I still chuckle to myself every now and again when I think about it.

He didn't go on the wall that fell down. He merely put his ladders up against it,and it fell down.

I see it like this,if the wall was knackered,and it fell down just because ladders were lent against it,then it ain't your fault. If you walked on it,and it fell down,then there's an argument that it is your fault.

I've got a customer who has had one hinge holding the gate on for months, she's aware of it too. Now if I go through the gate,and it falls off its one remaining hinge,then am I responsible?

No. If I did something stupid like trying to vault it,and it then broke,then maybe I am responsible.

Same as if the chap here had walked on the wall,or charged at it with his ladders,in a bizarre medieval jousting reenactment, then I'd say he's responsible.

But leaning his ladders against it,and it falling down.....nah!

Yes I agree with you, I didn't realise he had just leant on the wall, and I've had a one hinged gate for months which custie new about, and has now been fixed.

The more I read this thread the more I believe it was a setup so you would have to pay to fix it!
Oh, Oh, Fake news???

Firstly get insurance. Secondly get insurance third? You must me crazy and stupid to not have insurance!

But if I'm getting the right end of the stick and the wall that fell down did so cos u leaned a ladder on it then I don't think you should or would have to pay a penny. Whether that's the morally right thing to do is another matter but you could argue you were lucky not to get hurt when her wall fell near you. If it was me though I would get a mate to do it cheap and offer to go halves with the customer

Firstly get insurance. Secondly get insurance third? You must me crazy and stupid to not have insurance!

But if I'm getting the right end of the stick and the wall that fell down did so cos u leaned a ladder on it then I don't think you should or would have to pay a penny. Whether that's the morally right thing to do is another matter but you could argue you were lucky not to get hurt when her wall fell near you. If it was me though I would get a mate to do it cheap and offer to go halves with the customer
Hmm the mate may not want to do it cheap? Also, if it’s no good e.g. **** mortar mix or otherwise, and it comes down again on top of a car or otherwise, it’s gonna put you in a bigger predicament. To properly restructure a wall you can’t usually just start from the point it fell down, you generally have to knock it down to ground level & go from the bottom up, that’s what they did with my parents wall anyway. When things have had their day they have had their day ?‍♂️
I walked through a gate once on a first clean and the thing nearly fell off, the hinges had rusted the wood was rotten and the when i put my hand against it to push it open the wood was crumbling off in my hands...
Green pro did a video a while ago about customer profiling, and making sure you have full access, a clean & safe working environment, not jumping gates/walls/fences that blew down decades ago etc. well worth a watch. Because when you turn up at these deteriorated properties you leave yourself wide open to all sorts of trouble, including injuries.
We are showing up to clean windows, if that can’t be done without peoples houses falling to bits around us it kind of says something lol

Hmm the mate may not want to do it cheap? Also, if it’s no good e.g. **** mortar mix or otherwise, and it comes down again on top of a car or otherwise, it’s gonna put you in a bigger predicament. To properly restructure a wall you can’t usually just start from the point it fell down, you generally have to knock it down to ground level & go from the bottom up, that’s what they did with my parents wall anyway. When things have had their day they have had their day ?‍♂️
I walked through a gate once on a first clean and the thing nearly fell off, the hinges had rusted the wood was rotten and the when i put my hand against it to push it open the wood was crumbling off in my hands...
Green pro did a video a while ago about customer profiling, and making sure you have full access, a clean & safe working environment, not jumping gates/walls/fences that blew down decades ago etc. well worth a watch. Because when you turn up at these deteriorated properties you leave yourself wide open to all sorts of trouble, including injuries.
We are showing up to clean windows, if that can’t be done without peoples houses falling to bits around us it kind of says something lol

I've got a few customers who's houses are falling apart, can't see the logic in having a window cleaner when you've got much much bigger problems but it's all money.

I still jump some gates too, only if the fence/gate is secure though. I'm not gonna put myself at risk to make a few quid but i'm also not gonna walk away if I can easily hop the gate. I do remind them when I text to tell them they're all done though.

Who said a mate doing a bad job? If you have a mate who is a bricklayer why would you not use them if they can do it a bit cheaper? If your gonna pay half the bill it makes sense! People can have mates who know how to build things correctly. 

Who said a mate doing a bad job? If you have a mate who is a bricklayer why would you not use them if they can do it a bit cheaper? If your gonna pay half the bill it makes sense! People can have mates who know how to build things correctly. 
Yeah i wasn’t so much focussing on that sorry if it came across the wrong way, wasn’t intended. More trying to say if somethings gone pete tong already then do everything poss to not have any further mishaps [emoji4]

Yeah i wasn’t so much focussing on that sorry if it came across the wrong way, wasn’t intended. More trying to say if somethings gone pete tong already then do everything poss to not have any further mishaps
emoji4.png

See what you mean mate no worries

I've got a few customers who's houses are falling apart, can't see the logic in having a window cleaner when you've got much much bigger problems but it's all money.

I still jump some gates too, only if the fence/gate is secure though. I'm not gonna put myself at risk to make a few quid but i'm also not gonna walk away if I can easily hop the gate. I do remind them when I text to tell them they're all done though.
Fair play, we do have to be careful. Only takes a fall from a minor height to break an ankle if you land on it wrong. One thing we really need to be careful of this time of year is decking, it’s soo dangerous. I reckon that’s a finished market now, i don’t see a lot of people opting for it these days & i can certainly see why.

Fair play, we do have to be careful. Only takes a fall from a minor height to break an ankle if you land on it wrong. One thing we really need to be careful of this time of year is decking, it’s soo dangerous. I reckon that’s a finished market now, i don’t see a lot of people opting for it these days & i can certainly see why.

I have a few customers with plastic decking. Makes a lot more sense than wooden decking in the long run.But it still gets slippy.

Luckily I've got telescopic legs fitted on both sides of my ladders.

Makes such a difference.

Insurance policies generally have an excess built in.So the insurance company would only pay out after the first €400 is covered.The hazards of residential work.There’s a lad works in the same area as me and all he does is fronts.No messing around.He has earphones in and barely talks to anyone.Comes back on a Friday evening for payment.I often think he’s right as you can come up against all sorts of obstacles/hazards

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

These thing can happen. If it was me. I would replace her broken chair, get some cement and fix the wall. It the wall topper broke, that might be a bit more complicated to sort.

But definitely take care of it. It shouldn't be too expesive. Call it lesson learned. I would insist, she allow you to get a copy of the key cut for access, and would cover that cost. I do this with loads of monthly accounts with gates,   takes that hassel out of it for me.   

Also get some public liability insurance, usually about £150 per year. Worth every penny. If your working on people's properties.

I make a point of never climbing over fences , gates etc . If I cannot get easy access then I just do front till next time . Who is going to pay wages if you fall and break a leg bet the owner wont and will get a new window cleaner . 

Latest Posts

Back