Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

DDAC vs SODIUM HYPOCHLORITE.

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Jamie wilson

Heya all I'm looking into roof cleaning as a add on to my normal business as many of my customers have asked about it but was just curious about the difference and any tips. I use hypo for for patios and works great but was told about algo clear pro which is apparently DDAC and you scrape the roof of moss then just apply the ddac and leave it to clean the roof naturally is this correct? If so why does everywhere I look it says sodium hypochlorite is used for softwashing roofs if its more toxic??

Heya all I'm looking into roof cleaning as a add on to my normal business as many of my customers have asked about it but was just curious about the difference and any tips. I use hypo for for patios and works great but was told about algo clear pro which is apparently DDAC and you scrape the roof of moss then just apply the ddac and leave it to clean the roof naturally is this correct? If so why does everywhere I look it says sodium hypochlorite is used for softwashing roofs if its more toxic??
I believe that technically both DDAC and Hypo are classed as biocides and therefor you should hold PA6/PA1 qualifications to use them commercially!
As for the term 'softwashing' I believe it is just to differentiate the cleaning process from Pressure Washing.

Algo clear will kill the organic growth after scraping but you have to inform the customer that it may take 3 to 6 months to achieve full results. Hypo almost instantly kills organic growth and lightens the colour of the roof on the day.
I believe that both methods work but 1 is cheaper and quicker but with both you have to minimise overspray as you could damage the surrounding areas and unless you have the appropriate qualifications your insurance might be invalid!!

I don't scrape the moss off anymore. I wait for a hot sunny day and spray with biocide. The moss is desperate for water so absorbs it right away and turns golden in colour. Its like weedkiller, spray mid-afternoon in the sun and the weed will quickly take it in through leaves and their roots and by the end of the day it begins to die. I spray my roof every few years and you can really notice the difference.

Hypo produces the immediate effect customers want and expect. Biocide doesn't.
Only spraying the moss is likely to mean that the black algae underneath, which will be all over the roof, is largely unaffected because the moss absorbed the biocide and the solution didn't come into contact with the tiles.
You're also expecting the customer to put up with falling moss and potentially blocked gutters for months. But if you scrape it first then the customer will just have a long wait for the actual cleaning effect- if you've got total confidence in whatever it is you're using and the timescales involved. That's where some practical experience comes in handy. During that time the roof will look patchy too.

I personally think it's a pretty big ask but if you think you can sell it, go for it. Unless you don't mind waiting 6 months to be paid because that's what you're asking them to do using DDAC. The phrase 'managing expectations' springs to mind and just hope whatever you use works as advertised.
Or of course, you could just use hypo with scent masker, maximise your profits, get the job done and move on and be careful how you use it.

Hypo produces the immediate effect customers want and expect. Biocide doesn't.
Only spraying the moss is likely to mean that the black algae underneath, which will be all over the roof, is largely unaffected because the moss absorbed the biocide and the solution didn't come into contact with the tiles.
You're also expecting the customer to put up with falling moss and potentially blocked gutters for months. But if you scrape it first then the customer will just have a long wait for the actual cleaning effect- if you've got total confidence in whatever it is you're using and the timescales involved. That's where some practical experience comes in handy. During that time the roof will look patchy too.

I personally think it's a pretty big ask but if you think you can sell it, go for it. Unless you don't mind waiting 6 months to be paid because that's what you're asking them to do using DDAC. The phrase 'managing expectations' springs to mind and just hope whatever you use works as advertised.
Or of course, you could just use hypo with scent masker, maximise your profits, get the job done and move on and be careful how you use it.
Many thanks for your information, it's just iv had a couple customers that have been put off pressure washing their roof as they have been told for years it damages tiles and they don't want to much water on their roof as they seem to think to much water will damage their roof hahah. It's why is looking into different options.

If you spray on a sunny hot day with biocide or algaecide then the moss begins to die instantly because it is desperate for water. That's what I have found out when I spray roofs. My roof is 12 years old and it looks new, it has been sprayed once with algaecide. Will spray it again this year and I'm spraying my brother's as well.

You're welcome. I don't want to get into the pros and cons of jet washing roofs but all I would say is companies like Marley Tiles specifically warn against jet washing because it can strip the outer coating of tiles. It's not the volume of water but the pressure of it that can be an issue - and how you do it.
As a general rule of thumb r.e. building cleaning Codes of Practice say to use the least amount of water at the lowest pressures

Someone jet washed a roof of one of my customers they flooded the house caused a lot of damage and the upstairs selling came down in places ??

Someone jet washed a roof of one of my customers they flooded the house caused a lot of damage and the upstairs selling came down in places ??
Seems like they used a normal jetwash on high power. If done correctly and the tiles are secure it can be done safely but to cause so much damage the house must of been falling apart in the first place lol

I had a customer years ago got a guy to pressure wash his gfs water got into the ceilings and they all had to be replaced , the guy wasn’t insured and the customer had to claim off his house insurance it dragged on for a long time sorting it all out .

Probably used a turbo nozzle. I only PW roofs if they are less than 25 years old. If you PW a 50 year old roof with tiles then expect to break plenty of them just by standing on them. ?

The company was from Exeter roof looked really good tiles were in good condition not shore how old the property is the guy used a turbo nozzle not shore if it was on flat out ! Customer refused too pay him then he took them to court he then defolted in court proceedings now they are taking him to court very messy situation its a new job I've took on

My m8 does roof cleaning he scrapes buy hand then treats with biocide gets payed moves on to the next roof he also works with a roofer who says pwing a roof is a no no but were all different and work are own way

The company was from Exeter roof looked really good tiles were in good condition not shore how old the property is the guy used a turbo nozzle not shore if it was on flat out ! Customer refused too pay him then he took them to court he then defolted in court proceedings now they are taking him to court very messy situation its a new job I've took on
Wow why in the hell would someone use a turbo nozzle for a roof. To be honest everyone that has any idea what there doing would drop the pressure and use a mosmatic surely

Wow why in the hell would someone use a turbo nozzle for a roof. To be honest everyone that has any idea what there doing would drop the pressure and use a mosmatic surely
I have done plenty of roofs with my Falch nozzle because it has 4 jets. You don't need much pressure because all you are doing is removing the moss and white lichen which is easy. I much prefer to spray roofs with biocide or wet and forget.

Im seeing more and more using turbo nozzles on roofs in my area and ive seen them flat out or at least 3quater throttle we get a fair few gypsies here not just them but other bizness doing it too one local firm not mentioning names but turbo nozzle a roof and blue out all the concrete and roof started leaking ? a friend of mine roofer sorted it out

Back