Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Deck clean oil stain problem

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Paddyo1966

On a deck clean job have got the filth and dirt cleaned up. But the problem seems to be the old decking oil, it won’t come up in certain parts. Have got it with some hypo but it’s not budging. Have reduced pressure to 100 bar and it’s not touching it even with a 15 degree tip. Want to turn pressure up but know that will damage wood. Any ideas was thinking of a deck stripper?

Attachments

• 2EFFBF83-EF68-47A9-AD20-5DE26E3541B0.jpeg
    2EFFBF83-EF68-47A9-AD20-5DE26E3541B0.jpeg
    144.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 36090ADA-099F-44E6-A2B1-EB93C109AC7A.jpeg
    36090ADA-099F-44E6-A2B1-EB93C109AC7A.jpeg
    161.5 KB · Views: 12
Not sure what to suggest but hypo won’t do anything with oil maybe a strong de greaser scrubbed in with a stiff broom left to soak scrubb again and low pressure pressure wash again I think that’s what I would try

On a deck clean job have got the filth and dirt cleaned up. But the problem seems to be the old decking oil, it won’t come up in certain parts. Have got it with some hypo but it’s not budging. Have reduced pressure to 100 bar and it’s not touching it even with a 15 degree tip. Want to turn pressure up but know that will damage wood. Any ideas was thinking of a deck stripper?
not helpful at this time I know, but I learnt my lesson trying to clean one like that. If it's been stained or has oil on it I stay well clear, that or I advise before hand what to expect as it's nothing but a ball ache and not worth the time or hassle. Hope you get it sorted mate.

Not sure what to suggest but hypo won’t do anything with oil maybe a strong de greaser scrubbed in with a stiff broom left to soak scrubb again and low pressure pressure wash again I think that’s what I would try
not helpful at this time I know, but I learnt my lesson trying to clean one like that. If it's been stained or has oil on it I stay well clear, that or I advise before hand what to expect as it's nothing but a ball ache and not worth the time or hassle. Hope you get it sorted mate.
not yet, will try a deck cleaner or some deck stripper next week when decking dries hopefully. Thanks for replying

Anything treated I normally advise it will look worse when cleaned and that it should be re-painted after. A nice lucrative extra job too if you’re willing to take it on.

I build decks and always advise clients never to treat them other than a clear preservative if they wish. Properly built (which many aren’t), they don’t need it and it’s a maintenance job for life if you do.

I’d call it done if you’ve priced to clean it not restore it. Getting previous treatments out isn’t cleaning.

Hypo is most likely just going to bleach the wood i.e. whiten / lighten it. The only way to remove old coats of oil is using a stripper or sander.
Ronseal is probably the most commonly avaolable deck stripper but it does NOT do what it says on the tin and is nothing like as easy or effective as they claim. You need alot of it, several coats and it's pricey, as is Cuprinol. In fact all strippers are and none of the ones I've tried are particularly good.
You're probably better off with a sander.....but all this is above and beyond a simple deck cleaning job and needs to be priced into a quote

Back