Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Cleaning Decking Advice?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Herm

Hi, really would like some advice on cleaning decking from more experienced cleaners on here please. I done quite a big job today which was decking and took me quite a while as 1) I was worried about tearing up the wood and 2) trying to get it looking clean.
I turned the machine down to prob 1/3 revs and used my j-rod, though I wasn't to impressed with how it came out. It was a balancing act as I couldn't get close to the wood as it would damage it, but I couldn't remove staining like I hoped.

Anyway, anyone have some good tips or tricks I should be doing? I've watched many youtube vids, but it's totally different once you have to do it yourself :) Thanks

Wet it first (this satisfies the porosity of the timber), you only want to treat the surface then apply sodium percarbonate with a stiff brush, agitate as you apply. Leave for as long as is needed then apply oxalic acid (you can apply this when the timber is still wet. ) Use fan jet at lower pressure with steady movement, too high a pressure will fur up the timber. Be careful using sodium hypo if mix is too strong or it is left to dwell for too long it will break down the lignum in the cells of the timber (not good) and the timber will fir up.

Try treating it first with something like Ronseal Cleaner & Reviver and follow the instructions they recommend
Fantastic stuff Ronseal Cleaner & Reviver, very soapy though, I cleaned a 20 year old decking last week, just rinsed off the area, poured it on and gave the area a good scrubbing with a stiff brush 3 times. Used a FSC "Keep it moving, don't stop or you will get rings" on low pressure and the wood went from a mud colour to a lovely golden brown.

Falch nozzle is best for decking because it has 4 jets but at £2k you would need to have plenty to do. I did one a few weeks ago for £250 and it took me less than 2hrs to clean. Rinsing decking is a doddle with a 65 degree jet. ?

Falch nozzle is best for decking because it has 4 jets but at £2k you would need to have plenty to do. I did one a few weeks ago for £250 and it took me less than 2hrs to clean. Rinsing decking is a doddle with a 65 degree jet. ?
I can softwash an average size deck a lot quicker than that without taking the pressure washer
Use the correct Chems not just hypo the hell out of it and it’s an easy job

I use hypo on my decking ramp for back door worked fine but its starting to go a bit slippery again what i like about biocide is its last so much longer i rember years ago i hyped my rear paving after it was dry i biocide 2 of the paving slabs and rest went green after 5 months were the biocide ones were like new still

I use hypo on my decking ramp for back door worked fine but its starting to go a bit slippery again what i like about biocide is its last so much longer i rember years ago i hyped my rear paving after it was dry i biocide 2 of the paving slabs and rest went green after 5 months were the biocide ones were like new still
What biocide did you use, sounds good.
I have read a few times about bio vs hypo on roofs (applied safely) and some say that after 12 months there is still no regrowth with hypo. Obviously hypo is significantly cheaper and achieves instant results.

What biocide did you use, sounds good.
I have read a few times about bio vs hypo on roofs (applied safely) and some say that after 12 months there is still no regrowth with hypo. Obviously hypo is significantly cheaper and achieves instant results.
Ive only ever used benz witch have been fantastic my m8 does roofs he always uses softwash solutions i don't think there is any difference between the too ive seen a local guy uses algoclear pro but if im honist i wasn't impressed with it but he may not go in at full strange for roofs i use 20/1

When you hypo decking the idea is to soak it first so the hypo cannot soak in too much so obviously will leave some organics behind
Other biocides should be left to soak in so the residual effect will be better

Back