Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Roof cleaning

WCF

Help Support WCF:

SBW90

Hello I’m new to the forum and would really appreciate some advice. I already have my own window cleaning business using wfp however I’m looking to expand and offer a roof cleaning service. Would anyone be able to offer any advice on the most simplest way to do this and with what equipment. I don’t want to spend a fortune on equipment until I know it’s something that I will be able to do and offer. It looks like scrape and softwash would be the best way but any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much. Sarah

A few things to consider.
You shouldn't work off ladders so you need to hire a scaffold tower (Mi towers are good and ok for 1 person to put up) usually they are about £100 a week + Delivery/collection. Might be worth doing a course on scaff towers to aid with safety.
Scraping or pressure washing roofs is hard work, very hard work. Your arms and shoulders will be aching, so you need to be charging a decent rate.
There are lots of youtube vids showing roof cleaning (Sid Partridge - some iffy h&s, AE Mackintosh early stuff, and Squeaky Clean Dave did a few on starting up roof cleaning). Watch lots but be mindful of your own safety.
Softwash with hypo gives instant results but controlling overspray might be iffy unless you get a calm day. Most seem to promote biocide but that's a longer term treatment that's not cheap, requires a temp above 5 deg C, and again you must be very careful about overspray - (neighbours gardens, fish ponds etc.

Then there is the waste to clear up and empty the gutters. You need a waste carriers licence to remove the waste and then you need somewhere to legally dispose of the waste. Just watching some of the vids you can see huge amounts of waste to get rid off.

As for kit, a 40ft pole - carbon fibre lighter, a set of scrapers and some blades (ali attachment for pole is strongest), some sort of wire brush to put on pole.

I'm not intending to put you off just make sure you are aware of stuff.

You shouldn't work off ladders so you need to hire a scaffold tower (Mi towers are good and ok for 1 person to put up) usually they are about £100 a week + Delivery/collection. Might be worth doing a course on scaff towers to aid with safety.
Scraping or pressure washing roofs is hard work, very hard work. Your arms and shoulders will be aching, so you need to be charging a decent rate.
There are lots of youtube vids showing roof cleaning (Sid Partridge - some iffy h&s, AE Mackintosh early stuff, and Squeaky Clean Dave did a few on starting up roof cleaning). Watch lots but be mindful of your own safety.
Softwash with hypo gives instant results but controlling overspray might be iffy unless you get a calm day. Most seem to promote biocide but that's a longer term treatment that's not cheap, requires a temp above 5 deg C, and again you must be very careful about overspray - (neighbours gardens, fish ponds etc.

Then there is the waste to clear up and empty the gutters. You need a waste carriers licence to remove the waste and then you need somewhere to legally dispose of the waste. Just watching some of the vids you can see huge amounts of waste to get rid off.

As for kit, a 40ft pole - carbon fibre lighter, a set of scrapers and some blades (ali attachment for pole is strongest), some sort of wire brush to put on pole.

Proper roof scrapers aren't cheap @SBW90 and you will need a few as they fit the actual profile of the roof tiles.

This video might give you a better idea of the process.

You also need to know how to clean moss off shingles and what you need to do if you come across an asbestos roof. We have dozens of garage roofs built in the 1960's with asbestos roof sheets in our area.

Then you have to treat the roof afterwards.

To do the job properly and be professional is going to be costly equipment wise. IMHO you need to be fully committed taking this on.

It's also a job that requires strength, Sarah, as it's hard going. You will be lifting a weight heavier than a brush head at more horizontal levels for a major part of the day, depending on the size of the roof. It's big money but very hard work.

Another thing. You will need to dispose of a large quantity of moss from the roof. According to a few letters we have received from our local council, we need a waste carrier's licence to remove waste for a property and a recognised waste processing company to deal with this waste.

I'm sure this waste carriers permit topic was discussed at length on this forum last year.

Thank you so much for your reply. That information definitely helps and gives me a lot to think about. I really appreciate it ??

Proper roof scrapers aren't cheap @SBW90 and you will need a few as they fit the actual profile of the roof tiles.

This video might give you a better idea of the process.

You also need to know how to clean moss off shingles and what you need to do if you come across an asbestos roof. We have dozens of garage roofs built in the 1960's with asbestos roof sheets in our area.

Then you have to treat the roof afterwards.

To do the job properly and be professional is going to be costly equipment wise. IMHO you need to be fully committed taking this on.

It's also a job that requires strength, Sarah, as it's hard going. You will be lifting a weight heavier than a brush head at more horizontal levels for a major part of the day, depending on the size of the roof. It's big money but very hard work.

Another thing. You will need to dispose of a large quantity of moss from the roof. According to a few letters we have received from our local council, we need a waste carrier's licence to remove waste for a property and a recognised waste processing company to deal with this waste.

I'm sure this waste carriers permit topic was discussed at length on this forum last year.

Thank you very much. I really appreciate your advice.

My advice would be to sack it off if you have enough regular income. It’s a good earner but hard graft if you can get the work but after putting the feelers out people dont want to pay what it’s worth. I’ve done quite a few and they think it will be a couple of hundred quid. Once they see it’s more like thousands they’d rather keep their money in their pocket although many have more money than sense. If it’s a maintenance issue then it’s feesable but if it’s just for cosmetics then they will t bother. Also bear in mind that if your not earning a conisderable about more than your maintenance washes then what’s the point as its a hard graft compared

Looks like a big expense and hard work the speeded up video I doubt reflects just how much work is involved, also what I think looked like and was missed out was that they had a gutter vac to clean the gutters out, so that's a gutter vac needed a pressure washer and one of those fancy wands, that's well in excess of £2,000 just to get set up to do a job as in the video

Hello I’m new to the forum and would really appreciate some advice. I already have my own window cleaning business using wfp however I’m looking to expand and offer a roof cleaning service. Would anyone be able to offer any advice on the most simplest way to do this and with what equipment. I don’t want to spend a fortune on equipment until I know it’s something that I will be able to do and offer. It looks like scrape and softwash would be the best way but any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much. Sarah
Better off pushing other add on's like conservatory roof cleans and washing down guttering etc also hard work but you already have the equipment as I assume you are wfp

My advice would be to sack it off if you have enough regular income. It’s a good earner but hard graft if you can get the work but after putting the feelers out people dont want to pay what it’s worth. I’ve done quite a few and they think it will be a couple of hundred quid. Once they see it’s more like thousands they’d rather keep their money in their pocket although many have more money than sense. If it’s a maintenance issue then it’s feesable but if it’s just for cosmetics then they will t bother. Also bear in mind that if your not earning a conisderable about more than your maintenance washes then what’s the point as its a hard graft compared
Thank you I completely understand what you’re saying. I was going to start out just doing small jobs (we have a lot of bungalows and cottages here and people with more money than sense!) physically I wouldn’t be able to do larger jobs without help. If I could start off small see how it goes and even get a couple of jobs a month I’d be happy. Just good to have another string to my bow! Thanks for your help. ??

Hi, I’m thinking the same thing. I’ve noticed that there are lots of different biocides, most of which you have to wash of and scrub after. Which ones are the spray on and leave ones that work over time. The rain gradually lets it soak in?

Hi, I’m thinking the same thing. I’ve noticed that there are lots of different biocides, most of which you have to wash of and scrub after. Which ones are the spray on and leave ones that work over time. The rain gradually lets it soak in?
You don’t need to scrub or rinse any biocide on a roof we don’t even rinse hypo on roofs it will be fine

You don’t need to scrub or rinse any biocide on a roof we don’t even rinse hypo on roofs it will be fine
What do you use? One lad said he uses DK pro, which is expensive. But if there’s cheaper stuff on the market which works the same I’ll go for that

What do you use? One lad said he uses DK pro, which is expensive. But if there’s cheaper stuff on the market which works the same I’ll go for that
We have used algo clear pro , pure seal bio, and Benz algo clear pro have priced themselves out of the market as far as ime concerned we usually use Benz its as good as anything and cheaper , but to be fair our customers want instant results so 99% of the time we use hypo cheaper , does just as good a job and with in 1 hour it’s clean yes it will take a few weeks for silver and orange lichens to flake off but that’s the same with bio , the residual clean with hypo from my extensive testing is longer with hypo despite what the bio manufacturers say

We have used algo clear pro , pure seal bio, and Benz algo clear pro have priced themselves out of the market as far as ime concerned we usually use Benz its as good as anything and cheaper , but to be fair our customers want instant results so 99% of the time we use hypo cheaper , does just as good a job and with in 1 hour it’s clean yes it will take a few weeks for silver and orange lichens to flake off but that’s the same with bio , the residual clean with hypo from my extensive testing is longer with hypo despite what the bio manufacturers say
Have you got the full name for the hypo you use, or better still a link,Seems to be a few different types?

Have you got the full name for the hypo you use, or better still a link,Seems to be a few different types?
I buy it from a farm shop ware I live it’s dairy hypochlorite 10% strength , there are many brand names the one ime using at the moment is red label hypochlorite, you should be able to buy it from any farm shop or swimming pool supplies , also firms like Bonnymans ,and pure seal sell it but it’s usually dearer from them . If you want an approved hypochlorite mixed then Benz lightning clenze or pure seals own brand stuff is ok but very expensive and doesn’t do any better job

I buy it from a farm shop ware I live it’s dairy hypochlorite 10% strength , there are many brand names the one ime using at the moment is red label hypochlorite, you should be able to buy it from any farm shop or swimming pool supplies , also firms like Bonnymans ,and pure seal sell it but it’s usually dearer from them . If you want an approved hypochlorite mixed then Benz lightning clenze or pure seals own brand stuff is ok but very expensive and doesn’t do any better job
The data sheet for your Hypo makes interesting reading regarding run off?

13.1. Waste treatment methods. Disposal methods. Dispose of waste to licensed waste disposal site in accordance with the requirements of the local Waste Disposal Authority. Avoid the spillage or runoff entering drains, sewers or watercourses. Collect and place in suitable waste disposal containers and seal securely. Dispose of waste via a licensed waste disposal contractor. Contaminated area should be washed with large amounts of water

The data sheet for your Hypo makes interesting reading regarding run off?

13.1. Waste treatment methods. Disposal methods. Dispose of waste to licensed waste disposal site in accordance with the requirements of the local Waste Disposal Authority. Avoid the spillage or runoff entering drains, sewers or watercourses. Collect and place in suitable waste disposal containers and seal securely. Dispose of waste via a licensed waste disposal contractor. Contaminated area should be washed with large amounts of water
This is nothing new Richard the HSE state and I have it in writing from them and the EA it’s safe to dilute to drains my insurance company are also quite happy with the way we use it . Do you think farmers and people that empty swimming pools put all that water into drums ? It is diluted to drain , even if you use an approved Benz or pure seal if this were true you would have to collect that waist water as well . Try googling waist management companies and then give them a ring and ask about this see what they say to you . 99% of all man made chemicals are safe to go to drains provided they are diluted we regularly do this on chemical spills even battery acids , bromine and a lot of other nasty products bleach by comparison is nothing . I don’t intend getting into an argument about this again as it’s been discussed many times before, but NONE of the main softwashing companies in the uk collect waist water .

Here's a link for the type of hypo you want - although this 15% strength and you need to bear in mind it is available in different concentrations. But 10%, 15% it all does the job and just adjust the dilution accordingly. Now you know what to look for you might be able to find it locally at cheaper price. This particu;ar link is to Liquipak on Amazon and I've bought from them a number of times and delivery is fast and reliable (and used to be free!).
This is Benz Lightning Cleanze that @Pjj mentions. Just for your info if you did want to use it then buy it direct from Benz - I recently saw a company on Ebay selling 20 litres for £129.99 which is daylight robbery. It's pricey enough already but nowhere near that much. But that's fair enough because it is an approved product which obviously comes at a cost.

I also just want to clarify an earlier comment about biocide and the rain soaks it in?! No. You want it to soak in before it rains and if it rained hard enough too soon after spraying it you could end up needing to do it again. Apply on a dry day.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Latest Posts

Back