Did I Chose The Right Path ?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat & Introductions' started by All Round Cleaning, Nov 1, 2012.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. All Round Cleaning

All Round Cleaning Grand Master

Before I started window cleaning some 12 months ago I had the opportunity to go and work for jaguar land rover I passed all the tests passed all the exams and interviews etc but got fed up of waiting . I applied last November and ended up waiting 9 months before I eventually turned them down To pursue a career in window cleaning .

Now for a stable job and regular income JLR would have been a brilliant opportunity at a pay rate of a minimum of £12.70 an hr for a starting rate .

Instead I decided this path with window cleaning and my wife working part time 26 hrs a week !
    And me scrubbing glass at the moment I'm making over 11k a yr after 5 or 6 months not killing myself
    Working when I want .
    I'm averaging when I'm on the glass £20 an hr , but for some reason I'm feeling like maybe I should have gone for he JLR opportunity ????

Now for those of you who don't know me July 2011 I suffered a cardiac arrest and was very very Ill
    It knocked me about a lot and put an end to my welding and fabrication business and my career due to my defibrillator implant .

Just this week my brother got a start at jaguar and he seems to be rubbing it in every 5 mins how great everything is .

Then I'm gettin people owing me money every week and it is annoying me to the point I'm thinking maybe I should have done it .

Rant over .

Advertisement
  2. harunh

harunh Legend

Yeah u chose the right path mate :) cos your doing well and it hasnt even been a year...

Your brother might be earning more now... but in july next year i bet ull be on over £2,000 a month :) like me :)

plus people owing money can be annoying... but just think when your earning 2,000 per month u wont ever be owed more then £300.00 and plus ull be earning more so to be honest mate it can only get better and better :)

wait till summer comes in.... for u and me mate we will pick up a lot of work cos this summer we started 2,3 months late :p

your doing very well mate :) and your not putting in many hours but get up to 200 customers for yaself and ull be raking it in mate :)

3. laddergarder

the grass is always greener. There is no right path in life. Just your own. All I can tell you, is that if you continue on with doubt, you will not put everything into it, and won't achieve your potential. I know one guy who is in he 50's has been window cleaning all his life, mostly works on shops, and finishes everyday by dinner time. I know another guy who has been at it for decades, he focuses mainly on large scale commercial contracts and now makes over 100k profit.

With any job, there is a ceiling price when it comes to what you can earn, there is also a boss to answer to, who decides when you can and can't spend time with your family. With window cleaning, you can decided where the balance is that suits you.

4. M.K Cleaners.co.uk

M.K Cleaners.co.uk Grand Master

Theres allway going to be people owe you money. Im allways due atealst 100 quid in each week. Unless you have them all on standing order this wont change much im afraid. Not everyone can wait in for the window cleaner.

Sorry to hear about your cardiac arrest though must have been tuff on you and you missus.

Dont let your bro piss you aff, im guessing its him thats yout you second guessing you career path. Whats happends a year down the line? How much do you ex[ect to be making then. Go back and rub that in his face lol

5. Extremecleansussex

Extremecleansussex Active Member

You made your decision which, in my opinion, is probably the best decision.

Your brother works for someone else; he had to be there when he's told, do as he's told and make money for other people of which he gets a small part in return.

You on the other hand work for yourself and do what you want when you want. You have the flexibility to do other things, take time off etc without having to ask your boss. All the money you make you get to keep.

Also, I have found window cleaning to be pretty stress free whereas when I was in paid employment it was a pretty stressful environment. Given your medical history I can only say that you've got to be better off with the least stress possible.

Also, don't worry about not getting paid. You'll find that you get the money eventually. I have a rule that I'll clean three times and then on the fourth time I'll not clean but leave a reminder. If I still don't get paid then I'll drop them. There are plenty of customers out there.

Dave

6. M.K Cleaners.co.uk

M.K Cleaners.co.uk Grand Master

I did the 3 clean thing but found I was getting robbed more. I took it down to 2 cleans

7. Richard

Richard Forum Addict

It just comes across like you have those similar concerns as most self employed window cleaners when they start, just that most wont be in the same situation as you with having a brother constantly reminding you what you turned down, and that how great an opportunity it was.

Time will tell if you have made the right choice financially. Generally speaking you have far more opportunity than any employee. It is up to you to fully realise this, if you think having a basic job is better, you still have a lot to learn

Your job of window cleaning is easy, your job of building a successful window cleaning business isn’t as easy. You could always remind you brother, after tens years working for this company how much will he get when he sells his job!

Good luck

Richard

8. All Round Cleaning

All Round Cleaning Grand Master

Thanks Richard .

And everyone else , I was having a bad day and had a few beers and got thinking .
    But deep down I think I have made the right choice .

It is just going to take time to build this business into something successful .

9. Richard

Richard Forum Addict

I think all window cleaners do that.

Just remember a being an employee with a job, usually means you have no residual value. This means a days pay for a days work, doesn’t matter if you have been working there for 40 years.

Build a business with value and at least you have something to sell, the better you do this part, the more in return you will get back.

10. Gmeister

Gmeister Grand Master

Mate Extremecleansussex is right.

Yourl always get paid even if it takes time, eventually you can drop them if they take the piss to pay, just do what H does get better round and drop the bad custies.

You and I are in the same boat, we are starting out, we have messers but eventually we can drop them!

You told me once that ok your not earning as much as you would in jaguar land rover, but eventually yourl be earning more then you could ever earn there.

what are you on nowe £20 an hour, ok you might do one or two hours a day but when your full time 8 hours a day.. ker ching!
    How much you earn in jaguar? £8 an hour, **** init?

I do love window cleaning, sometimes get bad days, but now am selfemployed I could never work for another company.

I might help friends out,but being self employed I can do other stuff to make money too not just window clean, so makes my life more interesting, if you worked at Jaguar, yourd be doing same **** day in day out.

Hope this helped dude.

G.

Advertisement