Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Working rural full time

WCF

Help Support WCF:

PC

I currently run a Transit Custom. The van is great and I have no issues with it whatsoever apart from the fact that I now work solely in villages and hamlets. Pretty much single track roads and long bumpy driveways day in day. It’s really good money and a very good solid customer base in nice areas so I’m more than happy working in these areas. The problem I can see ahead is I managed ok last winter as it was quite mild. But if we get a rough one then this van may struggle.
Anyone out there work rurally and if so what do you drive?
I’ve been thinking of a pick up - though I am aware of the downsides to a pick up compared to the space I get in the back of the Custom.
Can anyone recommend a van that would be more suited to rural driving.
Before the usuals suggest the ‘search bar’ I have looked and I’ve scoured the internet. I’m just looking for someone with personal knowledge please.

sounds to me like you want a n excuse to buy a pick up :) if so go for it, ive ran 2 before for window cleaning and enjoyed them. they are a bit big and thirsty and not quite as practical but definitely workable.

I have a man tge for my personal van and do a fair bit of rural work muddy lanes to manor houses and farms etc I got stuck down one lane and had to get towed out by a tractor was very embarrassing, that was with standard road tyres , I have now put on a set of bf Goodrich all terrain tyres and the difference it has made is amazing we did some solar panels on a farm the other week and drove around the edge of a plowed field with a 1000 ltr tank full and no problems at all it’s front wheel drive as well it is also very good in mud as last winter it was very wet down hear .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 21
That’s good info thank you. Will definitely look into them.
Yes I agree that there is a part of me that covets a pick up for work ?
What pick ups did you use and what size tank in them?
I also got stuck in a deep verge and had to be dragged out by the customer in his new Defender. Boy did he drag me out ?

I have a man tge for my personal van and do a fair bit of rural work muddy lanes to manor houses and farms etc I got stuck down one lane and had to get towed out by a tractor was very embarrassing, that was with standard road tyres , I have now put on a set of bf Goodrich all terrain tyres and the difference it has made is amazing we did some solar panels on a farm the other week and drove around the edge of a plowed field with a 1000 ltr tank full and no problems at all it’s front wheel drive as well it is also very good in mud as last winter it was very wet down hear .
Plus they look good :)

Look like 70mm tall size and £170 a tyre?

They are 245x70x16 paid £550 for 4 fitted cheaper than standard road tyres , surprisingly they are no louder than normal tyres and no body role either ime well impressed with them , the original tyres were bald after 5,000 miles on the front .
If its front wheel drive then the front tend to wear quicker but after 5k sounds like cheap tyres. I bought 5 new wheels (£75 each) and 5 new tyres (£90) each and felt like driving a new van, also bought the plastic covers (£130). It made some difference because of the weight my van carries.

B2AC9915-2A07-4A77-AAB4-BCC755488701.jpeg
I use this.
It’s great fun, never gets stuck, and goes up in value every year.
It’s not a great window cleaning “van” though. It’s too cramped, too high and only does 29mpg.

Back