Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Business for sale (R&W, solar panels, softwash, low pressure roof cleaning, carpet cleaning and more)

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Delev

Quality sole trading business available for sale.

Services(commercial and residential) include:

Solar panels cleaning (with optional bird proofing),

Roof cleaning(low pressure),

Gutter clearance and repairs(incl new systems),

Render SOFTWASH,

Window/conservatory cleaning(traditional and water fed),

Carpet and upholstery cleaning,

One off domestic cleaning(move in/out cleans) - these are performed under umbrella(Subs). The carpet cleans can also be shifted to them. Can work on commission or full accounts.

Pressure wash(drain unblocking too),

Light handyman/DIY works,

Area of cover is greater London with 98-99% of clients off CC zone, focused in West and N/S west.

Equipment includes: 350l water fed tank with self purification system(gas heater also available, but never used it - it is not new though), water fed poles(new owner to receive new 27ft and 65ft poles too - either ionics or Gardiner, where second is recommended and upgrades possible if full price paid). SOFTWASH setup and carpet cleaning machine. Solutions included, as well as three ladders(2 window cleaning for up to 9.5meter and 6.5meter, as well as 6.5m roof ladder – all well used but with plenty of life). Also included are two domains with one working website and membership/profile in a few platforms (high reputation scores). Second website is being developed at the moment and is included too – to the stage of development at point of sale(currently none, as cannot get hold of the developers). Mobile number(same from day 1) included as well as running work planning and client management software(sq).

The business has no liabilities and average(last two years) net operating profit of 60.87% (which is nearly 70% price mark up). Business is in its year 6/7 and I’ve been building experience in the trade since 2010 with average to high profile clients. Target hourly rates £60-£150, however these vary depending on job and experience.

The business will suit well an friendly, smart, knowledgeable person with a can do and customer focused attitude. Experience in window cleaning, DIY and proactive approach (high interpersonal standards/skills and fluent English) are of course a must, as these are key aspects.

Reason for sale is I graduated bachelor in finance and have prospects of changing career. I also need to manage my investment portfolio and therefore my time is scarce, so I’d rather pass the business to someone who can exceed my dedication to clients and flourish the business in best possible way.

Branded, PPF wrapped, van (2018 EU6 VW caddy dsg/automatic) is also available for an additional £15,000 on top of asking price.
Turnover over last 3 years is £43k on average (9-10 months being operational per year, due to university).
Asking price £87k
I can also include 2 month handover at no additional cost, so the process is as smooth as possible.
Free know-how on roof cleaning(includes satellite images measuring and work methodology). Pricing/quote builder for all services are also included.
I will be available if advise is needed too.
Final price can be negotiated in respectful manner.
No rounds for sale - complete business.

Attachments

• IMG_20211014_065211 (2).jpg
    IMG_20211014_065211 (2).jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 24
£102k for goodwill with a list of one off customers, a van and twice annual turnover good luck.
Thank you.
Would anyone sell a business without their list of clients (or customers) - be it once-if, regular or both?
Could you please also advise with the in depth pricing model I should use, as from what I understand (that prices should be justified by the prospects of the business and its overall intrinsic value, as well as the after sales care) I am wrong in my assumptions.
Regards

You don't seem to be offering a client base apart from the one-off jobs that may or may not be subbed, if the people you deal with decide to jump ship to someone else then there is no business just a load of kit and van you can't sell a business on one-off jobs as they aren't guaranteed income.

You don't seem to be offering a client base apart from the one-off jobs that may or may not be subbed, if the people you deal with decide to jump ship to someone else then there is no business just a load of kit and van you can't sell a business on one-off jobs as they aren't guaranteed income.
Looking at that business means mine is worth over £100k?

Clients come with the managing software, all ready and scheduled/set up for continuation - if new owner decides to continue with squeegee(advanced plan atm). Most of the work is recurring, I just haven't gone in depth to check the exact contribution (only 3 clients make nearly 20k a year - window cleaning 16 and carpets 3-5). As I mentioned above, it is complete business - with one offs and regular clients. My business model is to establish relationship with clients than ties with contract - as I find these are useless most of the time, e.g. what happens when you have late payment from residential(or dissolved company) or someone decides to leave without notice - are you able to cover loses, NO, so what's the point on taking the hassle? It is the friendship/relationship that makes the bond not the paper. Therefore, the reassuring checks in advance are a must, and consequential weeding from time to time. Not talking for institutional contracts or tenders here.
Most clients are loyal, long term relationships, and that's why I've described the new owner instead, as I have greater obligation to existing clients than to someone external to business and by ensuring that the new owner lies within this description I can assure business will survive and strive - on top of this my help is also offered when needed.
I didn't intend to sell ever when I started and that's why I tried to establish solid foundations, that can compete with old companies (imo), and to keep cheap customers away. I am forced for good and I am willing to find someone reliable and caring. I have someone who can take the most profitable clients, but that's not the point.

Thing with selling these kind of businesses, it's not the same as other businesses, all you're really selling is a list of customers that could jump ship straight away and some used gear... Usual going rate will be 3-10X monthly income (with most being 4-6x) for a super solid longstanding customer base plus equipment. Not that that's the way it should be as most other business are sold as a goin concern sometimes without even customers but its the way exterior cleaning businesses are sold across the board. That being said good luck to you if you can buck the trend!

Thing with selling these kind of businesses, it's not the same as other businesses, all you're really selling is a list of customers that could jump ship straight away and some used gear... Usual going rate will be 3-10X monthly income (with most being 4-6x) for a super solid longstanding customer base plus equipment. Not that that's the way it should be as most other business are sold as a goin concern sometimes without even customers but its the way exterior cleaning businesses are sold across the board. That being said good luck to you if you can buck the trend!
Thank you for the insights!
I find it difficult to price on monthly rate, as have had months in excess of 8k and some at 0 (being away) - therefore cannot take single month for a base (be it winter or summer). Average annual turnover smoothens the periods.
Even for a mortgage, sole traders are asked for 3 years EBIT, in order to smoothen and set forecasts.
Also, most clients are on 3-4 monthly rolls, not the so called two-weekly cash in hand wipes.
As I mentioned and inclined to several times - I am not trying to sell the business to the first that comes through the door and it will not be sold cheap, as I well know my clients. A cheap person will not be held for a day - they will def jump the ship if someone starts playing around or does not work to a standard.
I am also considering work with an experienced partner on a split basis, however I have no clue on how that could work and cannot put energy in thinking it in depth atm - will have to settle for a bit until I have some free time.
Regards,
Delev

I think you should list on businessforsale.com rather than as a round on here as like mentioned your way off what anyone will ever pay, your monthly can be worked out by dividing what you made per year by 12, think ppl not bothered about how much months or the reason why you didn't do 12 full month's ect just what they will earn and by the sounds of it yours is around £3700 PM, and your asking £100k after expenses I don't think you'll get into profit for few years!!!

If you regular monthly window cleaning was worth £2000 a month, I’d give you £8k-£12k for it.
If you earned another £2000 a month on one offs etc, I’d give you nothing for them, as they are almost worthless.
Plus a bit for the equipment.
Unfortunately that’s the going rate I’m afraid?

You might have more luck employing 1 or 2 people and managing the business yourself. I'm not sure any accountant would advise their clients to part with that much money for non tangible assets.
As a bachelor in finance do you think the numbers stack up?
If your 'Target hourly rates £60-£150' then you should be turning over close to VAT threshold quite easily. I would have thought you would earn much more building this business that starting out a new career with your qualifications.
Good luck with the sale anyway but might be worth advertising outside of the industry to reach a wider audience.

You might have more luck employing 1 or 2 people and managing the business yourself. I'm not sure any accountant would advise their clients to part with that much money for non tangible assets.
As a bachelor in finance do you think the numbers stack up?
If your 'Target hourly rates £60-£150' then you should be turning over close to VAT threshold quite easily. I would have thought you would earn much more building this business that starting out a new career with your qualifications.
Good luck with the sale anyway but might be worth advertising outside of the industry to reach a wider audience.
I wouldn't have the time to run it and that's why I am thinking at selling.
The hire becomes tempting option - however it would have to include 1 admin too, in order to manage him/them, and then we would be looking at different scenario.
I've set the price as negotiable and do believe numbers add up to some extent in general, especially with the aftersales care and, as it was mentioned above, no two business are the same where one would have to understand the business in order to price it - everyone is welcome to try and build Rome in a day with mud than mortar or to price and compare business in Glasgow with the additional possibilities of being situated in London - I don't really want to fall in detail on this one.
The VAT threshold is easily achievable if business was operational over full 12 months with dense schedule - which is not the case here.
I have listed it on several places and will also follow an advise from above, regarding a useful platform.
I am grateful to you, as well as to others, for your comments and contribution to fair(er) pricing model.
Regards,
Delev

You seem a decent bloke but you actually state the customers are there mainly due to the relationship you have with them. This isn't, unfortunately, something you can sell. Your turnover, on average is £43k, you profit is less than £25k I believe. In my eyes, with the van, if you get £50k you'll be doing very well, but good luck.

You seem a decent bloke but you actually state the customers are there mainly due to the relationship you have with them. This isn't, unfortunately, something you can sell. Your turnover, on average is £43k, you profit is less than £25k I believe. In my eyes, with the van, if you get £50k you'll be doing very well, but good luck.
Yes, apart of being perfectionist, they also enjoy our conversations and many of the clients are on board since early days.
I keep spreading the word from a few months time now, that the business is very likely to go for sale (as they are also aware of my other endeavors) and I was asked to find a worthy replacement - therefore the business is listed for sale. I do owe them assurance of quality and low price wouldn't bring someone determined in the trade.
I would pretty much prefer to grow it, but suffer in lack of technical time to do it (will have more info on this in two months and then will be able to decide how to proceed).
Yes, turnover is £43, but profit is £30 - I preferred to state it as percentage, as there are a few ways in how it is calculated and I had to be transparent to all parties and on the spot.
I might shop around for a few rounds in this case :D
Regards,
Delev

If your being truthfull then it seems your relationship with the customers will be a bad thing for the new person. People in general don't like change, when busy I get a 3rd person out to help from time to time. Guaranteed next time I'm going round atleast one person will say there windows weren't cleaned well the time before. There's absolutely nothing wrong with there windows it's just that it's not the usual guy and some don't seem to like it so start looking for faults to find.

If your being truthfull then it seems your relationship with the customers will be a bad thing for the new person. People in general don't like change, when busy I get a 3rd person out to help from time to time. Guaranteed next time I'm going round atleast one person will say there windows weren't cleaned well the time before. There's absolutely nothing wrong with there windows it's just that it's not the usual guy and some don't seem to like it so start looking for faults to find.
You have noticed how human behaviour works. Another strange thing that can happen when a couple are not getting on, they look for someone to take it out on. I had one a year ago, the guy was saying his wife was saying the velux wasn't getting cleaned right. Later on he phoned me and said she had lost her job and creating a bad atmosphere in their home. He said he would need to cancel and get me back when she found a job again. It was a nightmare of a clean and I was glad to get shot of it, he never called me back but I wouldn't have went back when the trust has gone.

Back