Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Business and round for sale 5 star rating on check a trade £45,000 - 50,000 per year turnover- South london

WCF

Help Support WCF:

if you think £38 an hour isn't a good wage 91k a year then your out of touch with reality

1stly ,that would be turnover not wages.
Take out expenses and it’ll be a lot less.
2ndly, nobody works 45hrs a week , 52 weeks of the year. After Holidays, illness, bad weather, it would be way less than that.

1stly ,that would be turnover not wages.
Take out expenses and it’ll be a lot less.
2ndly, nobody works 45hrs a week , 52 weeks of the year. After Holidays, illness, bad weather, it would be way less than that.

The expenses we have is minimal tbh. 1 man's expenses for the year could be 5k

You don’t use much diesel then ?. Servicing costs ,insurance ? water. Replacing kit etc 5 k I wouldn’t think would cover your running expenses
I suppose it depends on if you have finance payments and if major work needs doing/ expensive equipment to maintain but an established 1 man band with compact round diesel maybe £3k, insurance and water £1200 and equipment maybe £1200 could be achievable from experience.

My expenses are between 5 and 10k I only average 7000 miles a year and mainly windows and add ons (not PW/Softwashing) but don't scrimp on poles, brushes etc. When the cost of living was discussed last year I decided I could cut expenses down even more and it's proving achievable so far. Still money in the kitty for major van breakdown but filters, brush bumpers etc are all planned and budgeted for. First price increases in 6 years has just started and going ok so far so with less planned expenses and greater turnover hopefully we'll weather the storm.

I know some local cleaners that when you drive past with their van doors open you think there's literally 1 squeegee, 1 pole and brush, reel and water tank etc and think how can they provide a decent service or cover themselves if anything breaks on a job. Their overheads I bet are less than 5k but maybe charge less and don't declare as much so don't claim as much expenses as they could. Once initial outlay setting up the business the overheads can be fairly low for sole trader.

I like to leave the locked when working as too many toys that might go walkies if anyone who how much a few brushes or squeegees etc add up.

Multivan setups must cost more in terms of expenses per worker, per van (above the obvious wages)cost due to extrapolation of what's needed services, equipment etc.

You don’t use much diesel then ?. Servicing costs ,insurance ? water. Replacing kit etc 5 k I wouldn’t think would cover your running expenses

Around £200 to £240 a month fuel, that's personal use over the month too. Servicing costs next to nothing, I only pay for the parts as my mate has a garage, I clean his windows in return. 3 or 4 bags of resin a year. Not sure what I spend on kit. Insurances £100 a month. Mines could be around the 5k mark.

if you think £38 an hour isn't a good wage 91k a year then your out of touch with reality
That 91k as a business turnover soon dwindles away 20% vat for a start that takes off over 18k then tax and national insurance around 16.5k and you are left with around 56k of take home pay and that's without business expenses factored in so it will be even less.

That 91k as a business turnover soon dwindles away 20% vat for a start that takes off over 18k then tax and national insurance around 16.5k and you are left with around 56k of take home pay and that's without business expenses factored in so it will be even less.

I'd imagine some would pay cash keeping you under the vat limit if you know what I mean lol

So what you are saying is you don't declare it ?. Dangerous you could get caught out and then they will go back seven years and you have to prove you haven’t had xyz not them prove you have
I'm saying no one would declare it if it was cash payments and by declaring it was going to incur a cost of about 17k. Let's not pretend you declare every cash payment either to look good on an Internet forum. If you even try state you do il be taking everything you say with a pinch of salt from now on. Absolutely no small buisness will declare every cash payment.

Absolutely no small business will declare every cash payment.
By failing to declare cash payments you could be making it more difficult for you to get a mortgage, vehicle loan/finance etc.
I have always declared all payments and only put through expenses that I would be happy to justify if it where ever questioned.

If you are getting that close to the Vat threshold that a few cash payments push you over you should have seen that coming and mitigated it.

I'm saying no one would declare it if it was cash payments and by declaring it was going to incur a cost of about 17k. Let's not pretend you declare every cash payment either to look good on an Internet forum. If you even try state you do il be taking everything you say with a pinch of salt from now on. Absolutely no small buisness will declare every cash payment.
I can assure you we declare all money earns how ever payment is made , and if you don't want to believe that it’s up to you but it’s a fact , so better get the salt pot out now ???

I can assure you we declare all money earns how ever payment is made , and if you don't want to believe that it’s up to you but it’s a fact , so better get the salt pot out now ???

I don't and won't believe every cash payment gets declared at any small buisness. Its unrealistic to expect it to be either. The people who make the rules in government break the rules too. Its done from the people at the top end of the scale to the people at the bottom. About 95% I'd say of my money is all bank transfers now so tax is paid. I have a direct debit set up monthly so I'm not left with a big bill. I'm not going to pretend that it all got paid before online paymeants. People might not agree with everything I say on here and that's fine, I always tell the truth though, I've got a thing about lying, something must have happened in a previous life lol.

I got sacked from a job for telling the truth, my manager told me before the meeting there was a way out of this if I wanted to take it. All I had to do was lie about something but I said I'm not doing it.

I don't and won't believe every cash payment gets declared at any small buisness. Its unrealistic to expect it to be either. The people who make the rules in government break the rules too. Its done from the people at the top end of the scale to the people at the bottom. About 95% I'd say of my money is all bank transfers now so tax is paid. I have a direct debit set up monthly so I'm not left with a big bill. I'm not going to pretend that it all got paid before online paymeants. People might not agree with everything I say on here and that's fine, I always tell the truth though, I've got a thing about lying, something must have happened in a previous life lol.

I got sacked from a job for telling the truth, my manager told me before the meeting there was a way out of this if I wanted to take it. All I had to do was lie about something but I said I'm not doing it.
We rarely get paid cash theses days anyway the vast majority are BACS payments i much prefer this as it saves me time and effort having to visit a bank in neighbouring towns , but the cash we do get paid is always declared , obviously on a rare occasion one might get forgotten by accident but that’s it .

We rarely get paid cash theses days anyway the vast majority are BACS payments i much prefer this as it saves me time and effort having to visit a bank in neighbouring towns , but the cash we do get paid is always declared , obviously on a rare occasion one might get forgotten by accident but that’s it .

I much prefer it the way it is now too. , makes things so much easier not having to go out collecting paymeants, not knowing if they will be home etc. I wouldn't want to go back to the old way. A few people who do windows told me I was daft when I started putting bank details on the cards but I was paye before paying just shy of £300 weekly between tax and ni, although I didn't like it I was used to seeing that having to come off so maybe I had a different mind set on it than they did. If I wasn't used to seeing it take money off my earnings I might have seen it the same way they did, who knows. They have kids though and get money for that so they couldn't get the money in the bank or it would effect that money

Latest Posts

Back