Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Dreaded leaded!

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Thanks Mark, Was in Lidl the other day buying a mini Kamado and saw a multi tool wished I bought it now.

Yes I have.  I hated the way they kept banging into the frames and I kept losing the bumpers anyway.  Is this what you were looking for?

View attachment 24368
I have toyed with the idea of cutting the ends off of my extreme brush, they are a bit clunky. Has your brush been like that for long? Have you noticed any distortion of the stock?

I wonder what @Alex Gardiner makes of this modification?

I have toyed with the idea of cutting the ends off of my extreme brush, they are a bit clunky. Has your brush been like that for long? Have you noticed any distortion of the stock?

I wonder what @Alex Gardiner makes of this modification?
It’s not a brush I’m using constantly (that’s my 35cm DuPont TaperTec) but it gets used for those old dodgy leaded windows where the lead is beginning to show signs of separating from the glass. 
I did have the same concern that the stock might distort without the support of those end bits, but so far there’s no sign of it.

I clean a lot of leaded windows by hand. I don’t bother with a leather. Just a damp scrim for taking off the dirt and a dry one to polish them up. It does take ages in some cases, especially when they are splattered with sap. In this cases I just rub off the sap with a damp sponge. I’ve recently got a WFP system. Makes leaded so much easier. But still do a large portion trad. The quality of leaded windows differ. Some are poor and the lead comes off. So this can happen whether they are done trad or wfp. But at least with trad you can been careful around the loose places of lead.

I just use that wurth spray and buff in with a microfibre and scrim or glass cloth.. easy unless it’s a really hot day that is! 

OK knocked a few doors today and got chatting to one chap who already has a windy. He said he and his wife were concerned that the wfp brush and technique he was using might be damaging the lead and have thought about trying to find a trad. 

What I would like to know is, do the trad guys actually clean leaded windows, especially the more detailed ones with coloured sections and how? It must take bloody ages! 

Also, do I and all other wfp users need to worry about damaging the lead with wfp in future? I currently do another custy with lead but they're knackered anyway and she said don't worry about it too much, so I don't! I use a flocked brush and try to be careful but they are a pain to be fair. 

Would love to hear how others get on 

Cheers 
Yes Trad guys do clean leaded windows. Personally I soap them up with an applicator like any normal window, Squeegee off using an old squeegee and rubber (to get most of liquid off) .Then use a sill cloth to remove remaining liquid, then buff with a scrim. They come up great, course takes longer and bit more effort, but charge accordingly.

I clean a lot of leaded windows by hand. I don’t bother with a leather. Just a damp scrim for taking off the dirt and a dry one to polish them up. It does take ages in some cases, especially when they are splattered with sap. In this cases I just rub off the sap with a damp sponge. I’ve recently got a WFP system. Makes leaded so much easier. But still do a large portion trad. The quality of leaded windows differ. Some are poor and the lead comes off. So this can happen whether they are done trad or wfp. But at least with trad you can been careful around the loose places of lead.
Ive got a couple of bungalows I do like that with the scrim. seem to get my same hourly rate as I do when I wfp too.  I dont do each diamond individually though, just go along each section a time and wipe off both directions. Have to go fairly quick though to get my rate.

Yes Trad guys do clean leaded windows. Personally I soap them up with an applicator like any normal window, Squeegee off using an old squeegee and rubber (to get most of liquid off) .Then use a sill cloth to remove remaining liquid, then buff with a scrim. They come up great, course takes longer and bit more effort, but charge accordingly.
The local trad guy blind quoted £10 for a 3 bed semi, without realising it was leaded. When he turned up and saw them he told him it would be £30 then recommended us.

We quoted £12 and got it, the home owner told us the story.

The local trad guy blind quoted £10 for a 3 bed semi, without realising it was leaded. When he turned up and saw them he told him it would be £30 then recommended us.

We quoted £12 and got it, the home owner told us the story.
Seems he over priced or thought when he got there "dont really fancy this" so priced himself out (may of read this ruse on this forum!!!!!). Leaded done Trad does take a bit longer and a bit more effort, but aint hard, certainly for us experienced guys. Similarly using wfp on leaded does take slightly longer to ensure the job is up to standard.

gardiners do a leaded brush,ive got one,i do side to side but also straight up strokes only with a rinse down is prob the gentelest!! 

I used to trad leads for years before wfp with a damp scrim once theyed been done once, it was easy after that just like trading a normal pain almost, a couple of custys wont me to continue by trad because they felt i was so gentle.I must agree with em if its monthly your normaly removing light dust! Two weeks ago though custy hadnt been done in months,would i trad em cause i scared of the brush on the leads,ok i says apain in the butt but shes old custy and used to me trading.then she said ive got to go out can i leave you to it,Fatal words soon as she was out of site,up whent the brush,but gentle up stokes,cleaned em far quicker and far cleaner than what trading would have done, next time ill prob tell and show her my gentle technique cause it out weighed trad especially as they hadnt been cleaned for months  evil aint i    

Latest Posts

Back