Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Exterior brick work

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Ges Clean Ltd

Hi all, have been asked to quote for washing down brick walls ( new build) and cleaning top of pillars (old existing) and wondering if a harbinger back pack would do the job or use the xjet on our pressure washer , also is there a specific chemical for brick work ( limescale) I should be using, pic attached

View attachment 25048

Why does  it need cleaning ?? What’s on it ?? Looks like a bit of effervescence to me ??? Just re read your post limescale ?? Are you sure 

Last edited by a moderator:
Why does  it need cleaning ?? What’s on it ?? Looks like a bit of effervescence to me ??? Just re read your post limescale ?? Are you sure 
Hi Pjj, yes probably effervescence which ime presuming can just be washed down ? he wants it looking good on move in day, the real problem is all the side garden walls and the walls up the driveway (very long) to the front that also have this white patch look.

The slabs on top of the balcony and pillars are dirty and have algae so presume hypho mix ?

Will try upload better pics

And he wants all the outside windows done of which there a lot as you can see which we will use wfp backpack for now, we have just completed the internal end of build clean so i have a good relationship with the client and just want to make sure ime doing the right thing on all the external.

Ime no expert on effervescence but it can keep re appearing I believe it’s salts in the morter  and bricks coming out , might pay to seek professional advice . Don’t  really know what to say to be honest . 

Hypo mix on the algi will be fine and light pressure wash 

Ime no expert on effervescence but it can keep re appearing I believe it’s salts in the morter  and bricks coming out , might pay to seek professional advice . Don’t  really know what to say to be honest . 

Hypo mix on the algi will be fine and light pressure wash 
Thanks Pjj

I wasn't able to access the photo but assuning it is efflorescence diluted brick cleaner usually works a treat - Sika stuff is good

or Toolstation Bostik Brick Cleaner

Always best to pre-wet the brickwork first and any areas underneath that might get run-off then apply it carefully using a pump sprayer or paint brush / roller on a pole. Give it a few minutes to soak in then give it a scrub with a stiff broom and rinse away with clean water before it completely dries out. You may need to repeat the process a few times but it does work and always better to go gradually I think rather than steaming in with too strong a solution or using too much of it.

Don't forget about risks of run-off because it is very nasty stuff and you don't want it on you, UPVC, window frames, wall fixtures, outside lights, taps, plants, lawn, stone paving etc etc.

And you don't want to use more on the brickwork than you have to or leave it on for too long. If it's a hot day I tend to give the brick a good thorough soaking with a garden hose before, during and after. Obviously water is the cause of efflorescence but using a hose / nozzle on a wide fan / low pressure setting isn't an issue and be sure it's properly rinsed off.

In the longer term, if it does come back again you'll need to look at possible sources of water getting in e.g. cracks in mortar, bricks, permanently damp / wet environment, heavy rainfall, groundwater etc or it could be because of the way in which bricks were stored during construction or type of cement used etc.

Back